How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-05-2013
trendsetter

Burberry is taking a lot of celebrities

03-05-2013
backstage pass

Spike & Scott (that's almost like a punk duo LOL): Fair enough of Cher and Bjork's "punky" spirit. I just think that punk was more about a defiant, confrontational statement that was meant to frighten, intimidate and offend the bourgeois sensibilities. Cher and Bjork-- and Trey Parker & Matt Stone in drag, amused and entertained people more than they offended: It was more "Oh, look at those kooky millionaires. How cute." For me, It's just hard for me to take CHer's style in any way but pure camp when Bob Mackie dresses her. It's all very Hollywood thinking they're hardcore because they're wearing a mohawk, safety pins and pvc-- which no doubt, will be the punk uniform at the gala. Nothing defines punk like Versace.

Hollywood would never wear real Helmut, classic MMM and CdG.

03-05-2013
backstage pass

I would love to see Grace Jones, but that ain't happening.

04-05-2013
windowshopping

The met gala is always a mess of status quo celebrity crap, but I'm looking forward to the exhibit, I'm sure there will be some cool things that I haven't seen in person before.
I would argue that punk became fashion, the moment that Vivienne and Malcolm created the seditionaries collection in 1977, taking inspiration from what they saw in New york, and taking it to a more flamboyant and very calculated extreme (and I love them for it, btw). Their designs were never cheap, so they were not available to all, only the style and sentiment were. And before the the decade was over, Zhandra Rhodes did a high fashion "punk" collection.
Anti fashion is still fashion at the end of the day, and designers have been exploiting it at least since YSL did it with the beatniks and mods in the 60's for Dior.
I guess my point is that punk style became high fashion as well as caricature almost immediately, so I think it's somewhat pointless to bemoan this exhibit for participating in a trajectory that's been going on almost from day one.
The original punk movement was very brief, but the look of punk has been influencing fashion at every level ever since, which I think is quite amazing, and worthy of examination.

04-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
WWD Exclusive: First Look at 'Punk' at the MET

NEW YORK — What do dirty toilets have in common with punk? Everything.

The Costume Institute’s “Punk: Chaos to Couture” features a striking — if not slightly verging on the gross *— replica of the bathroom at CBGB, the famed New York nightclub that is widely credited as one of the pioneer places of punk. “Patti Smith had this great comment about how all the action happened in the toilets at CBGBs,” said curator Andrew Bolton during an exclusive walkthrough of the exhibition, which officially opens to the public at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Thursday and runs through Aug. 14. The toilets, urinals and sinks add a suitably gritty touch to the display of 100 or so original punk outfits and designer clothes inspired by the movement.

“Everyone has an idea about punk,” Bolton said. “I think that’s what is so difficult to negotiate. In a way, we never set out to do a comprehensive history of punk. It was always a very specific, very conceptual take on punk.

“One of the reasons punks are difficult to define is because it originally started as a feeling, an impulse, so people still respond to it emotionally, even if they didn’t live through it,” he added. “We wanted to treat the subject matter with reverence, with punk individuals as heroes. Punk radicalized fashion, and introduced postmodernism to it — the collecting, the mixing of references, deconstruction."

The exhibition makes a case for the movement’s origins in London and New York and how it influenced high fashion through today.

The entry gallery at the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Exhibition Hall features a 16-foot-high LED screen showing a mosh pit of punks pogo-ing to music from “A Clockwork Orange.” Framing this is an original parachute shirt by Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren, and a riff on it by John Galliano for Christian Dior Haute Couture. “It sets the scene of chaos to couture, sidewalk to catwalk,” noted Bolton.

The entry leads to a theme of punk’s origins in New York and London — including the CBGB replica and another room built to mimic Seditionaries, Westwood and McLaren’s store at 430 Kings Road.

“To me the legacy of punk on high fashion is the aesthetic of the DIY,” Bolton said. The do-it-yourself galleries include Hardware, ie. studs, razor blades and safety pins, such as the Versace dress that made Elizabeth Hurley famous; Bricolage, with recycled materials like trash bags, including dresses from Gareth Pugh’s fall 2013 collection, and Graffiti and Agitprop, with Stephen Sprouse, Katharine Hamnett, Maison Martin Margiela, Moschino and more Westwood.

The architecture of the exhibition is surprisingly grand — moldings and arched display sets made of Styrofoam or actual trash that has been vacuum packed to drive home the DIY message.

“We wanted to have this real grandeur because we are treating the subject and the punks themselves are these heroic figures in terms of fashion,” Bolton said.

“Every designer has done punk at some stage,” he noted, “but I wanted to focus on designers who had engaged with it more consistently and, in a way, more intellectually.”

The exhibition will be feted at the Costume Institute benefit tonight, with Beyoncé as honorary chair and cochairs Rooney Mara, Lauren Santo Domingo of Moda Operandi, Riccardo Tisci and Anna Wintour.

The show ends with the DYI Destroy gallery, which includes ripped looks by Yohji Yamamoto, Chanel and Viktor & Rolf, as well as several pieces by Comme des Garçons. “I think that more than any other designer, Rei Kawakubo engages with punk as an intellectual paradigm,” Bolton noted. “We end with the ultimate deconstructed piece by Martin Margiela, which is a piece of fabric strapped around the body, and we gave it a last gesture as you leave.” The mannequin is flipping the bird.

wwd.com

04-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer70 View Post
The met gala is always a mess of status quo celebrity crap, but I'm looking forward to the exhibit, I'm sure there will be some cool things that I haven't seen in person before.
I would argue that punk became fashion, the moment that Vivienne and Malcolm created the seditionaries collection in 1977, taking inspiration from what they saw in New york, and taking it to a more flamboyant and very calculated extreme (and I love them for it, btw). Their designs were never cheap, so they were not available to all, only the style and sentiment were. And before the the decade was over, Zhandra Rhodes did a high fashion "punk" collection.
Anti fashion is still fashion at the end of the day, and designers have been exploiting it at least since YSL did it with the beatniks and mods in the 60's for Dior.
I guess my point is that punk style became high fashion as well as caricature almost immediately, so I think it's somewhat pointless to bemoan this exhibit for participating in a trajectory that's been going on almost from day one.
The original punk movement was very brief, but the look of punk has been influencing fashion at every level ever since, which I think is quite amazing, and worthy of examination.

nice post...

based on the wwd pics it would seem that the exhibit will not disappoint...
yipee zippity doo da...

i like this Bolton dude...
he's a super geek, which i think is--- AWESOME...
he has answers for everything and you can tell that this entire thing was put together thoughtfully and with care...

plus- i hope that the met gets loads and loads of money from this...
did you know?
it's one of the only museums in the world where the admission fee is voluntary...
one of the greatest art collections on the planet and it is accessible to the masses not matter their financial status...

(MOMA charges $25 a head now, can you imagine what that does to families who want to visit regularly?!)

04-05-2013
Some Like It Hot

I received this years exhibition catalog this morning and I have to say it's one of the most visually stunning books that I've seen in a while there are incredibly in depth introductions by Andrew Bolton, Richard Hell & Jon Savage.

The catalog is made up of archive catwalk images (mainly by Galliano, Westwood, McQueen and Helmut Land with other designers such as Balmain, Chanel etc etc) and editorial content from over the past decade or so.

If anyone wants snaps of the catalog then I will post some.

flaunt the imperfection

oh yes!...a few pics would be lovely!!!

tia

04-05-2013
Some Like It Hot

Andrews introduction spans over 6 pages btw.

*Snapped by Chanelcouture09

backstage pass

i'm a little late but as per the discussion on the "guestlist" on #78 it isn't accurate, not only because of what was previously mentioned about the williams sisters but also because you can clearly see both the s's and the w's and neither mentioned hailee steinfeld or olivia wilde who've both been confirmed by their make up artists/stylists as attendees, so that is probably just the benefit committee.

05-05-2013
front row

Are there no pictures of the actual outfits themselves? Or is it just runway pictures and editorial? I could just use the internet and save the thirty dollars xD

05-05-2013
V.I.P.

What time does this start so I can work out the time difference???

05-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Andrews introduction spans over 6 pages btw.
*Snapped by Chanelcouture09
WOW!!!

the book looks A---MAZING---~!!!

thx SO much for the preview!!!

love you CC...

06-05-2013
_____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Label Basher View Post
What time does this start so I can work out the time difference???
7 PM EST

Thanks for the scans, Richard! I think there are also some essays included. Most of its contents were taken from the original Punk Couture book published in 2009 but I don't think it's available anymore. It would've been interesting if Gene Krell contributed, he has a lot to say regarding this.

06-05-2013
fashion insider

Isn't punk more about a music movement, art & graphics, anti-fashion attitude of putting together "found" clothes (hence safety pins) than fashion? Doesn't make sense to me for fashion to co-opt its nemesis.

The only high-end designer who is anywhere near "punk" in attitude is Martin Margiela.

CdG, Westwood, etc., are nowhere subversive, they're selling distinctively brand image, very much about commerce.

Last edited by Zazie; 06-05-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, costume, exhibit, institute, punk chaos to couture