How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-09-2012
V.I.P.

2013 Costume Institute Exhibit : "PUNK: Chaos To Couture"
Quote:
Born in basements and garages in the mid-seventies, the punk music movement (think The Ramones, The Clash) and its attendant fashion could probably be imagined almost anywhere except the halls of the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. But there it shall be this spring when the museum unveils “PUNK: Chaos to Couture.” The exhibition, organized by the Costume Institute’s curator Andrew Bolton, highlights more than 100 designs for men and women, and examines punk’s influence—from its inception to today—on high fashion. The exhibition, which will be made possible by Moda Operandi, will be feted during the museum’s annual opening gala on May 6, 2013, and cochaired by actress Rooney Mara, Moda Operandi cofounder Lauren Santo Domingo, Anna Wintour, and designer Riccardo Tisci. Photographer Nick Knight will serve as the exhibition’s creative consultant as well as spearhead the design of the gala with Raul Avila.
vogue.com

13-09-2012
etre soi-meme

thanks for the newsbit , sounds interesting already

13-09-2012
flaunt the imperfection

what a RIOT......

13-09-2012
V.I.P.

This sounds interesting. I assume that Vivienne Westwood will be a big part of this.

13-09-2012
tfs star

Vivienne should be the host! She's the one and only queen of punk

backstage pass

It doesn't seem that interesting to me. I feel like it's something that's been done to death. Granted Anglomania was about British designers, but wasn't that punk enough? Is punk even a trend right now?

fashion icon

Ooh, very cool choice. Though Lauren Santo Domingo is not someone I would associate with punk. She's not cool enough and tries too hard, so I'm not excited to see what disaster of a gown she'll be wearing next year. I am thrilled for Riccardo and Rooney though!

13-09-2012
V.I.P.

who is "Punk" nowdays? im not too into this....

V.I.P.

^Well, who dressed like Superheroes in 2008? Or, ever? It's a theme, and quite an exciting one considering how 'un-mainstream' Punk has been the past two decades. Sure, the A-listers will end up wearing accessible generic gowns (though I have hope that Rooney and Riccardo will pull out something excellent), but I think it will be interesting to see supermodels in punk attire.

13-09-2012
fashion insider

Rolling my eyes..
All those effing fashionistas and "it" celebs better dress up for the freaking occasion this time around, unlike last year.

13-09-2012
etre soi-meme

i believe punk is becoming totally mainstream in the way it changed the way we see fashion
season after season, there are punk elements in most design houses

even recently -during #NYFW - there was a surge of punk influence eg bondage, harness , studs, etc

13-09-2012
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
^Well, who dressed like Superheroes in 2008? Or, ever? It's a theme, and quite an exciting one considering how 'un-mainstream' Punk has been the past two decades. Sure, the A-listers will end up wearing accessible generic gowns (though I have hope that Rooney and Riccardo will pull out something excellent), but I think it will be interesting to see supermodels in punk attire.
Oh I did, at Halloween - You can't go wrong with a Mr Incredibles outfit

This sounds so intriguing, I'm so excited, but I wouldn't of put Riccardo and Punk together, he's far more gothic and romantic, but you know what ? it's Riccardo so I'm bound to love this.

I'm really excited to see this progress and I always thoroughly enjoy their exhibition books/catalogs, it's always flawlessly executed.

I'm just imagining all the pieces from various collections that reference punk, aside from the cliches of Westwood.

Quote:
who is "Punk" nowdays? im not too into this....
A lot of us, even myself have attempted punk, not to the full meaning, but Biker Jackets ? they are continuously a piece that is relevant even today, Balenciaga any body ?

.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
All those effing fashionistas and "it" celebs better dress up for the freaking occasion this time around, unlike last year.
Agreed! This is an easy one, hope they'll be able to handle it, I'm tired of nobody participating and thus the themes being utterly pointless.

13-09-2012
V.I.P.

This sounds fantastic! With such a strong and interesting theme, you can't go wrong. Now, my only expectation is to see the red carpet full of people committed to the theme. Then again, I doubt I'll be "wowed".

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
Oh I did, at Halloween - You can't go wrong with a Mr Incredibles outfit

This sounds so intriguing, I'm so excited, but I wouldn't of put Riccardo and Punk together, he's far more gothic and romantic, but you know what ? it's Riccardo so I'm bound to love this.

I'm really excited to see this progress and I always thoroughly enjoy their exhibition books/catalogs, it's always flawlessly executed.

I'm just imagining all the pieces from various collections that reference punk, aside from the cliches of Westwood.

A lot of us, even myself have attempted punk, not to the full meaning, but Biker Jackets ? they are continuously a piece that is relevant even today, Balenciaga any body ?
You know what? I didn't even think of that. It would be cool to see someone pair a gown with a leather jacket. And the more I think about, the more I realise that Punk is more relevant than it has been since the '80s. Look at pop stars like Rihanna and Lady Gaga. They've all done it. Or even someone less mainstream like Karen O.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, costume, exhibit, institute, punk chaos to couture