How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-02-2011
girl who fell to earth

style.com

17-02-2011
girl who fell to earth

style.com

17-02-2011
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
increasingly, phillip lim finds himself becoming one of those new york mainstays that has a very defined, sporty look but doesn't really make headlines with the things he makes on the runway. some of this collection looked like the reliably trendy stuff we've come to know 3.1 for, but the rest of it seems to have become the american version of costume national -- not that there's anything wrong with that! i love the way this otherwise conservative collection sneaked in those bursts of color. that green in particular held the same surprise it did in hermes' menswear for spring.

style.com
I have several 3.1 pieces in my closet ... possibly the most impressive thing I know about the line is that *every piece sells.* There is never anything that doesn't get produced. He's absolutely practical and knows how to get the most from every penny--which I appreciate, because ultimately it's my money. So if his runway show doesn't hang together (I think this one does), it's all right by me.

17-02-2011
V.I.P.

Commercially, he'll probably always do well; he seems to have a recipe for success, as someone else points out above. Nothing wrong with that! I was commenting on the "collection"/show, but I did note that there are several nice pieces in it. Not real fond of "peach" for fall, but to each her own!

17-02-2011
V.I.P.

Personally I really loved his S/S 2011 collection. This one is just not as good, imo.

17-02-2011
fashion elite

Over all this is very good. It's wearable but we all need something like this in our closets. My favourite pieces though are the blue top with the brown leather sleeves and all green coloured clothing, sucker for that shade of green. The interesting thing is that I wouldn't have associated that green with fall or winter, but I can see how it would just brighten up my mood when I'd really need it most.

17-02-2011
V.I.P.

I like the luxurious take on the baseball shirt / sweat top in the second row above - it looks awesome with the leather sleeves. And the green works for me too, but not peach. Then again, do not really like peach period, so just a personal thing.

17-02-2011
Power to the 99%

^ I saw only a couple of pieces that could be called peach ... the color might not be accurate, it could be more tan.

17-02-2011
V.I.P.

Tan would be better! I read the review at style.com and agree with their comments about some of the bottoms' shapes as well; interesting stuff about the inspirations though - gang tattoos!? I never would've thunk it!

Quote:
However, the show wasn't without its moments of awkwardness, particularly in stiff carrot-shaped pants and squared-off culottes, all cut with an extra fold of material pleated onto the front. They were inspired by Lim's visual research of tribes and gangs. (That swirling floral print, by the way, was a nod to Japanese yakuza tattoos.) As Lim explained, cholos buy their pants too big and fold them in to have a heavier stance, something, it's fair to say, no shopping woman ever wants. Who ever said the battle of form and function would be easy?

18-02-2011
fashion elite

^ I only see a few pieces that looks like yakuza tattoos. Must say though that blue/purple top was done very nicely, I'd like to have that one. I do think that this could've have been explored a bit more.

18-02-2011
V.I.P.

Agree - the "tattoo" idea might've been worth exploring even more; I like this short cape-like piece myself. It could look great styled with all black, as a standout / contrast:

Style.com

20-02-2011
V.I.P.

king of the mix...he is fast becoming a dries aesthetics.

23-02-2011
front row

Typical mix of things i adore and some i adore not so much;

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, 31, f or w, lim, phillip, york