How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-12-2004
Swim Upstream

johnny have you misread what faust meant?

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Dec 2 2004, 11:10 AM
But you do know and care about fashion don't you Faust. I know I do.
[snapback]447487[/snapback]
Of course. I was referring to the styleless who think they are stylish.

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Dec 2 2004, 11:20 AM
Of course.* I was referring to the styleless who think they are stylish.
[snapback]447500[/snapback]
But then, how do we define style? Just because it doesn't fit within our little guidelines...

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Dec 2 2004, 11:28 AM
But then, how do we define style? Just because it doesn't fit within our little guidelines...
[snapback]447507[/snapback]
I don't define style. But I can talk about Quality. See the quote in my signature. I suggest you read the entire book (actually I suggest that book to everyone I meet). There is such a thing as Quality (or beauty, or style), and you can SEE it, but it's undefinable (it may sound absurd, but it makes sense to me). When you look at something, Purple, you KNOW whether something has Quality (you can substitute for beauty, esthetic value, etc...), but sometimes you can't define it, you just know it. How do you know that a logoed LV bag is tacky, and a unique complex McQueen dress is beautiful, almost moving? You kind of just know it. And it translates beyond fashion, or style, or whatever you want to call it. It's about life, really, the world around you. And this is my gripe with the "intellectuals." Why do they see the beauty of literature or painting or sculpture and refuse (yes, REFUSE) to see the beauty of a piece of clothing, the beauty of an athlete catching a ball, the beauty of a feeling you get driving a well-built car, and so on. I think Quality is universal. The same author I quote said (paraphrased), "Buddha is everywhere. To seek beauty only in certain things is to demean the Buddha."

02-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

everyone will define it a bit differently , no?...
that's why style is a personal and individual thing...

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 2 2004, 11:43 AM
everyone will define it a bit differently , no?...
that's why style is a personal and individual thing...
[snapback]447523[/snapback]
Agree, but there is some common ground, not easily definable.

02-12-2004
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by helena@Dec 2 2004, 11:18 AM
johnny have you misread what faust meant?
[snapback]447498[/snapback]
erm, sounds like it. oops. Hope no offence was caused. I've been dipping into this between reviewing a contract!

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

I do agree with you faust, I was really going through one of my annoying phases. One thing that I do have to admit though (and this includes myself), is that we are slight fashion snobs here. As much as I would rather have a piece from an designer rather than a fake LV, and do unconsciously turn up my nose at some trends that are titled as fashion... There are people who get real pleasure from their fakes, or dressing like the others do. It may not be stylish to my eyes, but if it makes them happy, then that's what's important. I've said this before, but to me... true style is what makes you want to just dance! If Uggs and trucker hats make you do that, then I'm not going to stop you. Style is what you make it.

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Dec 2 2004, 11:50 AM
I do agree with you faust, I was really going through one of my annoying phases. One thing that I do have to admit though (and this includes myself), is that we are slight fashion snobs here. As much as I would rather have a piece from an designer rather than a fake LV, and do unconsciously turn up my nose at some trends that are titled as fashion... There are people who get real pleasure from their fakes, or dressing like the others do. It may not be stylish to my eyes, but if it makes them happy, then that's what's important. I've said this before, but to me... true style is what makes you want to just dance! If Uggs and trucker hats make you do that, then I'm not going to stop you. Style is what you make it.
[snapback]447529[/snapback]
Well, who can argue with that. But I don't think we are snobbish -- it's common knowledge that the taste of the masses is inferior.

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Dec 2 2004, 11:58 AM
Well, who can argue with that. But I don't think we are snobbish -- it's common knowledge that the taste of the masses is inferior.
[snapback]447537[/snapback]
Oh, totally...

02-12-2004
trendsetter

It's funny Faust - your comment about the beauty inherent in an object (but not necessarily knowing why) - that's something I've thought about in almost exactly the same way before. I remember looking at a weed in a car park and wondering why people would [almost] universally think of that weed as being ugly but think of an orchid as being beautiful. Absolutely objectively there's no basis for the distinction, but it's one that everyone on a subjective level appreciates. I don't have an answer. Is it all to do with nurture - that you're taught that flowers are nice so you think that they are. Or is there an inherent indefinable quality in an object that makes it appealing. If so, why do some people like Baby Phat and some like Les Hommes? I suppose the Baby Phaters don't think about concepts like subjective evaluation as against objective aesthetic appeal, they just think that it's cool to look like a daft tart that drives a big cadilac and has an army of hispanic maids. That's probably a whole different conversation but maybe Faust is right about the idea of quality (at least for "made" things) - that quality provides the inherent value (not monetary). That a thing has beauty if in its production its been thought about, hand made, toiled over, personalised....

02-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Dec 2 2004, 11:50 AM
but to me... true style is what makes you want to just dance! If Uggs and trucker hats make you do that, then I'm not going to stop you. Style is what you make it.
[snapback]447529[/snapback]
well...imho...style is a personal and individual thing...and if you look just like the person next to you...then you do not look like an individual, you look like a clone...and in my opinion...you have no style...

but if it makes you happy...then i'm happy for you...(but you still have no style)...

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny@Dec 2 2004, 12:02 PM
That a thing has beauty if in its production its been thought about, hand made, toiled over, personalised....
[snapback]447543[/snapback]
But that weed wasn't... There's also a beauty that's inherent within simplicity.
And y'know something? I didn't like this season, but even I'll admit that labels like Roberto Cavalli have put out some wonderful creations over the years. In that same way, Costume National, for example, does become rather tedious after a while. I think that we need to remember to keep our minds open and not pass judgements about a particular label because "the masses" may approve.

02-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 2 2004, 12:09 PM
but if it makes you happy...then i'm happy for you...(but you still have no style)...

[snapback]447551[/snapback]
Since when have I worn trucker hats?

02-12-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

to be honest, i haven't read all of the posts here but i think that we must not forget that abercrombie is not just about fitting in, it's also about conspicuous consumption. while much of abercrombie these days finds itself logoed to death, abercrombie gained popularity as a reaction to the obvious designer fashion of the early nineties. i think that abercrombie has served an important role in getting middle class american society to identify a look instead of just a logo.

for those with money, there was nothing more rebellious than using your parents credit cards to buy up layers and layers of distressed clothing. i mean there was such an exclusivity about abercrombie because even if you recognized it, you had to wrap your mind around the idea of paying seventy dollars for a pair of torn shorts. it immediately separated the poor from the rich.

these days i think that many high fashion companies are reaping the benefits of this fashion education.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abercrombie, fitch