How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2004
fashion icon

I like the way you put it vert...bah who needs Abercrombie wool sweaters when you got Dries Van Noten? Viva High Fashion!

20-12-2004
SCBl0ndie

I like thier jeans.

I remember wasting all my money on thier trashy T's when I was a freshman thinking I was hot stuff.

I wasn't, oh well.

20-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alura
As a European I see AF also representing the American Dream in a very republican way, the male ideal of a frat boy / football player. Yes, they do play with homo-eroticism, but the guys wearing it are mostly the type I don't like to be around with, narrow-minded with the highlight of the day how many beers they had. This IS a total stigma , but sometimes that's good for discussion . Their clothes are largely accepted, they are some kind of new conservative although they are casual.
I agree

21-12-2004
scenester

Man...I can't afford Dries Van Noten...I can only imagine..

21-12-2004
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohoxchic
yes thats her i'd like to think thats me too lol
were the ones who have style, not them! anyone can walk into abercrombie and buy whats off the rack.
That picture in your avatar is Adriana Lima? I thought this: http://http://loisirados1.chez.tisca...ingerie012.jpg is Adriana Lima. Am I mistaken?

Last edited by Ho-Coture; 21-12-2004 at 11:06 PM.
30-03-2006
backstage pass

Abercrombie is to plain and shows a lack of design on the designers part to me even think about me paying a 200% markup on a 5.00 striped shirt made by the same South American kid that makes clothes you buy at "Fred's"
I'm a teenager and yes conforming is a big part in school and in a southern school not wearing Abercrombie or American Eagle is evil to the in crowd but me being different from the generic A&F guy makes me more interesting to people. I am no Hot Topic goth kid but I'm not a generic A&F kid who goes mudding on the weekend.

30-03-2006
front row

All I have to say is that I can't wait until A&F shuts down. Never liked the store and my mother refuses to spend money on such a racist, bigoted store. And I can totally see why. The people who own Abrecrombie are bunch of idiots with nothing better to do than do offend people based on race, gender, nationality, size and even on color of hair.

Last edited by sexydaydreamer; 30-03-2006 at 03:09 PM.
30-03-2006
fashion icon

Almost all of Abercrombie's designers are either indie hipster kids who buy their own clothes from thrift stores or foriegners mainly from the U.K. and Italy, many of whom are Central St. Martin graduates and/or worked for ultra premium labels before being lured away with Abercrombie's high salary. I know a guy who was at Helmut Lang before he moved over.

It's an army of designers and it's no secret at headquarters that they are openly targeting wealthy gays and suburban teenagers who do not have a sense of personal style and are eager to fit in with what they think is the all american high end look.

31-03-2006
windowshopping

This is my first post, so if my post is not up to the par with some other posts or offends someone, I hope you will forgive me.^^

I think that a lot of people buy A&F because they like the image, created mostly through their ads, that a typical A&F wearer is supposed to have: all-american, good looking, having fun, and overall enjoying a "good life." I'm in college, and I have observed that the people who fit the image A&F wants to project as their customers are the majority among the ones who end up getting well-paid jobs in finance and business. So an A&F wearer might represent the "success" in both school (because they're supposedly popular and wealthy) and in life (because they can potentially make a lot of money, as being financially successful is one of the most important things to some) to some people. And I guess some people really buy into this image, feeling as if they are a success when they're wearing A&F clothes. It's similar to the marketing strategy of a "masstige" brand; an article that I read a while ago analyzed the reason that "masstige" brands are doing so well is because many middle-class people who cannot buy truly high-end luxuries satisfy themselves by buying "masstige" brands that market themselves as a luxury, but at a cheaper price.

I also feel like a sort of similar phenomenon exists at a high-end fashion market. Albeit Hermes has very high quality, do people really want an Hermes birkin solely because they appreciate the aesthetics and quality of it? Or are they at least somewhat influenced by the popularity of it and the certain image they evoke by carrying a birkin, namely being wealthy and elegant?

31-03-2006
rising star

Yeah . abercrombie has dominated youth fashion in the US for 10 years now , I dont see it abating all the frats and sororities buy their **** from them, even though it literally looks like ****. My friend got similar shirts from india for 200 rs , they sell those same shirts for 65 bucks US , you do the math!!! their ripping people of with that stupid logo. Also a moose is canadian !!!

31-03-2006
windowshopping

i actually wear abercrombie and i like the label.
you can go ahead and say i have no originality or that i'm a "follower" but that's your option. at my high school not many people wear abercrombie or hollister or any of those brands. so for my friends and i we are the only ones, with an exception of a few, who wear it. and i know for a fact that i have originality and i have personality and i don't just wear it to show how wealthy i am or snobby. no matter what i will back up the label.

31-03-2006
scenester

I'm glad to find that people see Abercrombie as a negative company and truly unfashionable. To me Abercrombie is a destination brand, people are trying to buy into a life style and its pathetic.

They target gay men who try to buy into this masculine ideal, yet they refuse to advertise in any gay magazines. Bruce Weber does there photography for god sakes.

They released a thong for girls 10 and up, with suggestive prints. It's truly disgusting.

The clothing is the same season after season, and terrible qualtiy. I've never owned anything from there and never will.

31-03-2006
tfs star

A&F just has basic, casual clothes which is fine for some people. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with people who want to wear these clothes. Most labels have a target audience in mind for their clothes. High End designers use the same strategies as A&F as far as creating an image for their clothes and relying on fashionistas who are willing to pay for clothes which are technically more overpriced that A&F.

I used to get jeans for A&F all the time because they fit so well. After reading about the founder I was so creeped out and turned off that I haven't set foot in there since.

31-03-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGloryOfThe80s
To me Abercrombie is a destination brand, people are trying to buy into a life style and its pathetic.

uhhh...this is how most high fashion labels work p.s.

31-03-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri
A&F just has basic, casual clothes which is fine for some people. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with people who want to wear these clothes. Most labels have a target audience in mind for their clothes. High End designers use the same strategies as A&F as far as creating an image for their clothes and relying on fashionistas who are willing to pay for clothes which are technically more overpriced that A&F.

agreed.

It's just kinda gross when you see people in it head to toe complete with accessories. It's like "ok dude, seriously, what are you supposed to be?"

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
abercrombie, fitch