How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

Alexander McQueen enters the accessory race...the Novak
Monday, April 18, 2005
The Sac Race: The Alexander Method
By Miles Socha

from wwd...excerpt...
PARIS —
McQueen’s new signature Novak bag — inspired by actress Kim Novak, whose best-known film is Alfred Hitchcock’s 1958 “Vertigo” — has an air of lethal chic with its “Alien”-esque anatomy and a look that is at once retro and futuristic. “There is a kind of strength and a bit of aggression in it; it’s almost like a cage,” the designer said in an exclusive interview about the project. “It does strengthen a woman’s appearance.”
And McQueen hopes it will do the same for his business, which is gunning for profitability by 2007, a deadline set by parent Gucci Group . Still, McQueen bristled at the suggestion that his accessories push and fall collection praised for its wearability, were the products of a top-down directive that was* obeyed. “Tell me what to do and I’m likely to do the opposite,” he said. “I just think [the collection] was relevant to today. It was more about the construction and the silhouette than excess detailing.”
Yet developing an identifiable, long-running handbag for the house, as Nicolas Ghesquière did for Balenciaga with his hit Lariat style, is clearly a driving ambition for McQueen. “My concept is longevity, like the [Hermès] Kelly bag or Chanel No.5,” he explained. “For me, [the Novak] is a McQueen classic. It has a personality of its own.”
The designer sought to express that personality via the shape, hardware, materials and details — not by splashing his logo across it. “When the Kelly bag was designed, it didn’t have Hermès written all over it,” he said. “Sometimes you have to rely on the design itself, not the name that’s on it.”
The Novak comes in a range of sizes, colors and materials and will retail from about $1,100 for a small leather version to $13,270 for a medium-sized crocodile number. His footwear collection — now manufactured by Sergio Rossi, another Gucci Group property — has been similarly broadened . Jonathan Akeroyd, McQueen’s new chief executive officer, said the goal is to build handbags and footwear to represent about 30 percent of the house’s turnover in three years. At present, the category represents about 15 percent of sales.

To build buzz around his accessories foray, McQueen plans to dispatch Novak bags to 50 key editors and celebrities in June.

McQueen emphasized that he takes a long-term view to the development of his brand, and said that he has no regrets to date. “It’s going at the pace I’ve always wanted,” he said. “It was never about being a flash in the pan.” While the early years of his fashion career were about promoting McQueen’s name via some of the most spectacular fashion shows of modern times, he considers that the business is entering a new phase.
“All there is to do now is please the customer all the time, and deliver on time,” he said. “That’s the secret of a successful brand, but that takes time. And if all else fails, I can always become a nurse.” Then he burst out laughing at his own sally.

here it is...in croco...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amcqueen-novakcroc.jpg (14.0 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by softgrey; 18-04-2005 at 05:58 PM.

18-04-2005
V.I.P.

It's nice. It won't be a blockbuster, the bag he showed for F/W has more qualifications for blockbuster.

18-04-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
To build buzz around his accessories foray, McQueen plans to dispatch Novak bags to 50 key editors and celebrities in June.
I'll just sit back and wait on the postman then?! :p

$13 720 gulp.

Looking forward to seeing more of the shoes though. Have been loving the last few seasons.

Thanks for the info SoftGrey!

18-04-2005
V.I.P.

cool article, thanks softgrey personally I think he'd make a fab nurse :p

fashion icon

i prefer the bag Diorling posted...could become a classic

18-04-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

haha...i know stilista...lucky devils...you are very welcome...

to be honest..i'm a little confused as to which one is the 'novak'...
the article didn't exactly specify...and that bag i posted looks like snake to me, not croc...but why would they write an article about a bag and then show a pic of a different one...?.....

so i am assuming that's it...

anyway...can't wait to see the whole line...bet it will be hot!!...

18-04-2005
V.I.P.

13 thousand, That to much if he actually wants to sell it. It's not really a standout either, he has done better bags befor.

front row

Hm, I like the bag that Diorling posted much more than the first one posted by Softgrey, it just seems more interesting, and I like the color much better. I find it interesting that it is inspired by a somewhat obscure figure also, it makes me wonder what excatly was behind the inspiration, or if he just liked the name 'novak', and thought that would be a good name for a hope-to-be long lasting handbag line.

19-04-2005
User Friendly

That green bag was on my mind when I saw the collection.. its quite nice..

Didn't McQueen say something about him not want to make accessories the way say Louis Vuitton does accessories.. he didn't want Paris Hilton types toting it around..?

19-04-2005
V.I.P.

i believe the bag diorling posted is the novak. $13,720 in crocodile. it's quite a gorgeous bag and has something of a timeless aura about it already... i love it, but the price is scary.

i've attached some better pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00006.L.jpg (57.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 00019.L.jpg (58.3 KB, 13 views)

19-04-2005
V.I.P.

it's also available in tweed(?) with python trim, and in black crocodile...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00082.L.jpg (93.1 KB, 18 views)

19-04-2005
backstage pass

Man, that sweater is just gorgeous from the back, I've not seen that shot before...

i'm almost ready..

love it

19-04-2005
backstage pass

Gorgeous!

19-04-2005
backstage pass

it's okay..
looks plain

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
accessory, alexander, enters, mcqueen, novak, racethe