How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
but this is quite possibly the most inspiring he's been in his creativity. it almost feels like he's trying to break out...free himself and really exert that wild vision we all know he's capable of.
thats is a very beautiful opinion.. I feel the same towards it.

10-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
I don't understand why people are swooning over this? Last season was much better in my opinion. More concise and more aesthetically appealing. It was interesting but it wasn't pretentious in extravagance (like this).

This, whilst an aesthetic wonderland, is a little gimmicky, to be honest. Some of the pieces look particularly intimidating/scary and far too referential of 'the club scene' and the likes of Leigh Bowery. I find that in the end, this looks like something a performance artist would wear rather than a 'normal woman'. And without sounding too antagonistic, this is something I would envision transvestites wearing.

Besides, I find the make-up, hair and head pieces distracting and it takes the focus off the collection. There's far too much going on in some of those looks. The result is ironic rather than chic.

Fall 2006 still remains my favourite Fall collection for McQueen, by far. It had that McQueen poetry and nonchalance. This was forced and conceited with its faux-couture aesthetic.
Oh, come on!
Do you really think McQueen designed this for the "normal chic woman"? Not everyone does, thank - god! Please tell me though, why is it negative that a catwalk-show features garments geared more towards preformance/costume/club-outfits than "what I'd throw on with my starbucks and my blackberry"? And IMO, the makeup helps tell the story that this collection shows, this is not "hey look, this is all the clothes you all should buy", and McQueen has never been about that, it's always been the drama, the story, the theatre macabre, and that is what makes him different (and celebrated). You can be chic and wear McQueen, but that isn't what he conveys in his runwayshows. As said, thank god! There is enough "chic and wearable" brands in Paris - all nice and dandy - but there are still the misfits that creates the theatre and drama and ruffle the borders, and some of us love them to death. This might not be what you like about fashion, but it's still a... "subgenre" of it, and should be judged on the terms it was made, not your set of rules of what fashion should or should not be.

10-03-2009
windowshopping

Right on, ElectricAlyce. I'm sick of hearing of these 'normal women', who apparently exist to suck the joy straight out of the heart of the universe. Too many designers spend too much of their time thinking about 'normal women'; we're practically slowing to a crawl.

10-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimarosa View Post
Right on, ElectricAlyce. I'm sick of hearing of these 'normal women', who apparently exist to suck the joy straight out of the heart of the universe. Too many designers spend too much of their time thinking about 'normal women'; we're practically slowing to a crawl.
Yep, crawling with the latest it-bag

10-03-2009
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAlyce View Post
Oh, come on!
Do you really think McQueen designed this for the "normal chic woman"? Not everyone does, thank - god! Please tell me though, why is it negative that a catwalk-show features garments geared more towards preformance/costume/club-outfits than "what I'd throw on with my starbucks and my blackberry"? And IMO, the makeup helps tell the story that this collection shows, this is not "hey look, this is all the clothes you all should buy", and McQueen has never been about that, it's always been the drama, the story, the theatre macabre, and that is what makes him different (and celebrated). You can be chic and wear McQueen, but that isn't what he conveys in his runwayshows. As said, thank god! There is enough "chic and wearable" brands in Paris - all nice and dandy - but there are still the misfits that creates the theatre and drama and ruffle the borders, and some of us love them to death. This might not be what you like about fashion, but it's still a... "subgenre" of it, and should be judged on the terms it was made, not your set of rules of what fashion should or should not be.

I am willing to bet starbucks-addicted lawyers who are attached to their blackberries pay McQueen's bills! This was a great, fun show for sure, but he sells impeccable suiting too, and that is probably what sells the most under his brand. He has a great vision for fashion, but his "performance art" pieces isn't his whole designing livelihood - he makes a lot of money off of the "normal chic woman." just sayin!

V.I.P.

Brought tears to my eyes, so incredible. It's like he's trying to break out of the nightmare. Such a great time and space. Rich expression and enthusiasm. The best collection this season without a doubt!

10-03-2009
V.I.P.

this is so fierce!!! it doesn't look like a RTWQ collection, but a couture collection. love it. though the leigh bowery-inspired lips irritates me.

Hoppity Hop

All day long I've been stuck doing my very non-fashion duties so it's not until this precise moment I'm taking in McQueen.

I love it.

One of the reasons I see the world through perverted glasses is my from-birth obsession with Cremaster-type characters. So naturally when I first experienced the work of Matthew Barney I was nearly committed.

Not claiming this as the influence or reference, but I am so am absorbed because I see these things in this show. How can I watch American Idol after this without hoping a couple of demons pop up on stage and re-decorate everyone with the help of Asmodeus' Ruby Rod.

10-03-2009
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuTTyRoCK112 View Post
but I have to ask why is he limiting himself to dresses and skirt suits? I'm dying to see more pants from designers, that aren't leather or leggings, because I'm finding bare legs or tights a little redundant.
I feel the same. And the ironic part is, if anyone can make a killer pantsuit, it's McQueen. I mean, his tailoring skills are un-matched.

Ok...now that the dust has somewhat settled...
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Fall 2006 still remains my favourite Fall collection for McQueen, by far. It had that McQueen poetry and nonchalance. This was forced and conceited with its faux-couture aesthetic.
I think I'm going to have to agree with you to an extent here. Fall/ Winter 2006 is still my favorite McQueen collection. It was poetic, heartbreakingly beautiful, quiet - while still speaking volumes. It was a masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned.

Since about FW 07, I too, feel as though his collections have lost that 'effortlessness' that all of my favorite McQueen collections possess. That's not to say he hasn't produced great collections since...it's just missing the elegance. And by elegance, no, I don't mean a polished, upper East Side sophisticate...by elegance I mean there was just a certian ease about his collections. Ease, in that, nothing felt forced or contrived.

This collection, while I like a lot about it, and there are several pieces I LOVE, it's maybe a bit too loud? For me, while McQueen has always been, for the most part, a pretty in your face designer...what he has had to say with his clothes was never yelled, it was always whispered (the presentations, on the other hand, were ofter very brash, but the clothes always possesed a delicacy, despite the brutality and torture they often conveyed). Some might disagree, but I stand by this assertion.

I don't know...while most of this collection reads McQueen, the impact of it all doesn't seem quite right. Here are some examples of what I mean.
FW 09 vs. FW 00
Both oversized, chunky knit pieces with an almost animalistic savageness...but the most current piece seems much heavier. The FW 00 piece looks so docile yet savage...like a lamb and a lion mixed.

FW 09 vs. FW 04
Both quilted, multicolored leather (?) jackets. The most recent piece is garish in both color and pattern, but the older piece is much more quiet and subdued yet elicits a stronger emotion...it has an almost clinical and inhuman elegance.

FW 09 vs. FW 06
Both feathered, ruffled evening gowns. While I consider both beautiful and impressive, the FW 09 piece piece looks a bit contrived because of the volume...whereas the FW 06 dress is so delicate and so fragile that it almost breaks your heart. I don't get that same emotion from the FW 09 dress.

I almost want McQueen to cut back on his theatrics and just make great, emotional clothes again. Tortured, painful, romantic, delicate, stunning clothes.
(catwalking.com/ firstview.com/ style.com)

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 10-03-2009 at 08:55 PM.
10-03-2009
Wanderlust

I have been working all night and uninspired and this comes along! I really needed to see something like this to inspire me in a time when I thought all designers had lost sense of themselves and their visions. I am very moved by this because this is unmistakably McQueen! In a time of economic crisis where designers are going light, it is so brave of McQueen to go with his imagination and I must say he created something that is so desirable!!! It must sell!! After this, I cannot say fashion is dead! I'm soo excited again for fashion!!!!!

10-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutWater View Post
I am willing to bet starbucks-addicted lawyers who are attached to their blackberries pay McQueen's bills! This was a great, fun show for sure, but he sells impeccable suiting too, and that is probably what sells the most under his brand. He has a great vision for fashion, but his "performance art" pieces isn't his whole designing livelihood - he makes a lot of money off of the "normal chic woman." just sayin!
Agreed and that was what I was trying to say with "You can be chic and wear McQueen, but that isn't what he conveys in his runwayshows". I was at the McQueen store at Selfridges and most of it is chic, wearable and... yeah, you get the picture. So nothing bad about the starbucks'n blackberry ladies at all, I'm just glad Alexander McQueen can make the überchic tailored clothes and still put up a dramatic runway-show, instead of just putting his selling clothes onto models strutting back and forth on the runway (which would probably earn him just as much money). It's an incredible talent to be able to do both

10-03-2009
front row

I think I just died.

This was INCREDIBLE.

10-03-2009
front row

he's truly the BEST when it comes to fall/winter collections.

i still think f/w 2006 is his BEST collection/show but this one almost got the cake, i just can't believe how he can blow our minds every single time (repeat: specially in f/w)!!

When i look closely to the construction of the pieces i just get excited because it is as close as perfect as it could be...

i cannot even describe how i feel by watching this, OMD!

I'm gonna quote Marion Cotillard when she got her Oscar:
"oh, I'm specchless now... Maestro Alexander Mcqueen, you rock my life!, you truly rock my life!"

10-03-2009
fashion icon

OMG STUNNING! indeed it was visualy orgasmic haha...as a graphic designer Im always looking for inspiration...this definetly inspires me to create
I LOVE YOU MacQUEEN

10-03-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrina_RZ View Post
he's truly the BEST when it comes to fall/winter collections.

i still think f/w 2006 is his BEST collection/show but this one almost got the cake, i just can't believe how he can blow our minds every single time (repeat: specially in f/w)!!

When i look closely to the construction of the pieces i just get excited because it is as close as perfect as it could be...

i cannot even describe how i feel by watching this, OMD!

I'm gonna quote Marion Cotillard when she got her Oscar:
"oh, I'm specchless now... Maestro Alexander Mcqueen, you rock my life!, you truly rock my life!"
Ok you read my mind !!!

I totally agree with you !
I'm in a "I love you McQ" mood after seing this hehe

Tags
0910, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris