How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2009
trendsetter

More drama drag (mq) queen antics...This is precisely the sort of histrionics I see as the final deathblow to an increasingly frivolous industry.
To those who are so enthralled by this, it is only to look at and fantasize about (or pull apart/emulate/study if your a fashion student).
It has no life off the pretentious catwalk. He makes a living off much cheaper streetwear. No one is going to dress like that or come close. It is visual masturbation in a very gay aesthetic and I find it at least pointless if not tired and at most misogynist.
I want to see something attune with society today NOT MORE OF THE SAME OLD CIRCUS FARE.

11-03-2009
front row

I agree with Bidwell (though I feel badly, I wish McQueen would have done really well this year.)

The make-up is ridiculous, what is there to even love about it? It doesn't show anything beautiful-- it really just distracts from the look completely.

V.I.P.

omg, how amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an artwork!

11-03-2009
front row

Make up is fab !! love collection!!!

11-03-2009
rising star

i'm still getting over it

rising star

i have a mixed feelings towards this collection. but i think i like it more than i hate it. amazing yes. but not his best.

11-03-2009
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell View Post
I want to see something attune with society today NOT MORE OF THE SAME OLD CIRCUS FARE.
So true. And everyone should understand that that doesn't have to mean creating boring shows and dull collections.

front row

Stunning. No, it's not romantic mcqueen; it's tortured, energised and explosive mcqueen. I like both kinds, and I think he has the right to choose his mood for this season.

As for 'normal women' -I don't think they shop the runway. They shop net-a-porter or Selfridges. And part of buying a sharply tailored black suit with a designer price-tag is buying into the mystique of that designer, wanting to own a bit of him. I think a dramatic runway, filled with explosive imagination and unbridled creativity adds to this aura -a dramatic runway filled with fantasy pieces doesn't need to work against saleability of showroom designs. Would you rather have a McQueen suit which wasn't on the runway, or a MaxMara runway suit that was part of an effortlessly wearable collection? It's the McQueen that gets the blood racing.

11-03-2009
backstage pass

Like sex for the eyes.
Can't get enough of this. Quite an amazing collection.

11-03-2009
backstage pass

[YOUTUBE]hkNxgSkrkAo[/YOUTUBE]

11-03-2009
backstage pass

I keep on finding footage of this collection...
Hope I'm posting these in the right thread!
[YOUTUBE]LX8UWiqxYKo[/YOUTUBE]
This one isn't as good of a quality, but it gives you a good perspective of how it was like at the show.

11-03-2009
tfs star

this is truly stunning and amazing..what a craftmanship!!! he knows how to work with that prints!

11-03-2009
V.I.P.

I got to see one of the Mcqueen dresses from an earlier collection (it's the red and black ostrich feather dress with the red dyed glass slides) at the FIT museum and the amount of work is incredible.

this collection has the same dark red/black combo.

11-03-2009
Fat Karl

^^See, I would DEFINITELY disagree.
That dress, from SS 01, (well, the whole collection, actually) possessed so much refinement it hurt. SS 01 was a historic, monumental show with mind blowing clothes to back it up.

(style.com)
FW 09 is not very refined at all, if you ask me.

It's just so interesting to me that ever since McQueen decided he wanted to become a brand, his clothes no longer seem wearable...it's all for show. Loud, commercially appealing show pieces...nothing truly desirable (except for Resort 09...that was an excellent little collection). While his older shows were much more tortured and scary (this collection is not scary to me...it's about as scary as a Halloween costume), there were always honest to goodness wearable pieces...incredible suits, great jackets and coats, covetable dresses, etc. all mixed in with breathtaking show pieces. And that really was his MO up until recent.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 11-03-2009 at 12:00 PM.
11-03-2009
backstage pass

Dior_cotoure: on one hand I agree with you as I personally kind of prefer older more subtle (kinda) McQueen. On the other hand I don't think this is worse, it just speaks in another way, a more direct, theatrical and perhaps more violent way moreso than the more disturbing elements used before. Which of those you like best is up to each of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell
More drama drag (mq) queen antics...This is precisely the sort of histrionics I see as the final deathblow to an increasingly frivolous industry.
To those who are so enthralled by this, it is only to look at and fantasize about (or pull apart/emulate/study if your a fashion student).
It has no life off the pretentious catwalk. He makes a living off much cheaper streetwear. No one is going to dress like that or come close. It is visual masturbation in a very gay aesthetic and I find it at least pointless if not tired and at most misogynist.
It's fascinating to see someone speak from a point of which I'm not shure is contemporary or plain old-fashioned. Personally, I'm tired of people talking about the bloody "rules" of the catwalk, and the functionality of the runway-show. All the designers have showroom-appointments for buyers, so why not stage the runway as a mood-setter? A theatrical and story-telling show in which you can get a real taste of what this collection is about, not just "hey... here are the clothes" - why not? Because it's "visual mastrubation"? All the catwalk shows are about the visuals, why not make it flashy? I'm not asking this to be difficult, but because you speak like this isn't your opinion, but from a critical analysis point of view. So for the sake of discussion, why not throw a show? The pieces McQueen sells are amazing because of the subtle details, the cuts, the fabrics and the mood they carry - something that would be lost if you just put it on a model, put some black eyeliner and mascara on them and tell them to "walk down there, strike a pose and walk back, and do it fast!".

For me, Alexander McQueen is a breath of fresh air, because he knows no limits, if it's painting a dress on stage with machines, coming out in a bunnysuit or putting on a show of pure theatrical gothicness like this. He doesn't do this to show "this is what you are gonna wear this autumn!", or the newest it-bag. This doesn't dress the celebs or the socialites, but it gives off energy, inspiration and presents a mood to a collection, instead of just showing off the pieces. I think that's a much better use of the catwalk than walking people up and down.

It's a artsy-fartsy, and maybe vain way to see it, but come on, do we really need LESS diversity so we can look at the clothes without beeing scared of the makeup or *gasp* not picture ourselves in all the pretty dresses and it-bags?

Oh, and please, explain what is "gay" about his aesthetics?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris