How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-03-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

i wish to align myself with the comments made by andre leon talley in the style.com wrap up of this show: if kate middleton hasn't heretofore considered the house of alexander mcqueen for her wedding dress, this collection should convince her outright. sarah burton has outdone herself with this collection creating something so undeniably of-the-moment with its fashion-as-fetish reference points but something that languishes earnestly and honestly in the archival mcqueen that we all remember with fondness when thinking of the man.

vogue.com

13-03-2011
V.I.P.

Sarah Burton sure has me as a fan. She's not the same designer as McQueen, nor should she be. Let her do her own thing for a whole lot more seasons to come. She's now the leading face of the house and for me, she's doing it perfectly. Those gowns have me swooning. I love how she makes it more wearable, that's good.

13-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelipeV View Post
I believe in McQueen and Burton as the Yin/Yang: strength and dark designs of Lee against femininity of Sarah, of course something's missing, but we can't expect someone else to replace Mcqueen, she is the only one (at the moment), no one else can get and start to copy or imitate or parody the work of this genius.

Speaking of the colection, I consider it one of the best presented at this fashion week, I love the coldness of the scenary with these dresses, the headdresses and other heavy details in contrast with the femininity of clothing <3 <3 <3 The change is noticeable but the essence remains like in all brands whose creator has died or is retired.
She is the only one? That a pretty strong statement to make. While she is good but I would not want her to just keep recycle all his ideas.

What she needs now is to be like what Nicholas Ghesquire is doing with Balenciaga! This is her only second season so still time!

14-03-2011
rising star

AMAZING collection!!
Edgy and classy ! It does remind of Chanel in some pieces but it looks fantastic , so who cares?

the porcelain shoes are genious!

14-03-2011
rising star

BTW Anyone knows the sountrack of the show? I really love that song but I have no idea whose artist it is!

20-03-2011
scenester

There are some really wonderful pieces in this collection.

I'm glad the house of McQueen is still here even though he isn't. Makes me so sad just thinking about it.

02-04-2011
V.I.P.

i've avoided making any comments regarding this collection since being a McQueen junkie i would've been hardpressed for an unbiased one.. but now that i've digested everything properly i'll have a go at it. this was a more than passable collection, i very much agree with Tim Blanks' comment of Sarah Burton possessing the McQueen DNA. she definitely can never replace McQueen but she is on the right track in continuing his legacy.

the pieces have all the trademarks; of romanticism and delicacy, hints of McQueen's darkness by way of the S&M pieces, the black patent heels.. and i think Sarah's most obvious strength which is the couture craftsmanship (barettes painstakingly applied to the hair, the fox fur trimmings, the broken glass dress! and the woven leather dresses with studs just knock me out. worksmanship is the McQueen DNA.) these dresses are literally to die for, each piece as unique and as complex as the next. i am amazed by how Burton has injected such a hopeful, light energy in the collection. people who will purchase will literally be walking (spectacles) pieces of art; if i ever saw someone wearing one on the streets i might follow her around just to ogle nonstop.

however once you get past being astounded with the immense details and the mysterious beauty of it one can note that the worksmanship is also the weakness of the collection; it is a mouthful at first glance, since all the pieces are wrought so thoroughly that it borders on being heavy handed, almost boring. there is a softness, an underlying femininity with the dresses (despite Burton's foray into S&M nothing looks mysoginistic) and yet it also lacks the elegant fragility of McQueen's past collections before his Gaga era. i am also missing the showmanship though that might've been a conscious decision of Burton; the location was interesting enough, but the show lacked the performance. McQueen would've cooked up something wonderfully enigmatic with the whole ice queen reference. but despite feeling a bit wistful for these elements clearly the house is in good hands, i can't be any happier with the outcome so far. Burton is a bursting fountain of creativity, in due time she will master the art of restraint for her future collections.

Last edited by AgrenateD; 02-04-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris