How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2011
backstage pass

GORGEOUS. It has the McQueen spirit without being TOO much like McQueen, and I'm amazed at how quickly Sarah has proved herself worthy of such an undertaking.

08-03-2011
windowshopping

Very nice! McQueen's school yet distinct from it. Love most pieces. I often fancied making myself a skirt with zipped panels so I could switch from a sleek boardroom sort of look to a liberating and flirtatious look for the dance floor by unzipping up to the hip. Never had time, and now Sarah read my mind, it seems.

Interestingly, with McQueen's work I always found it to be manly hard at base with utterly feminine flirtation layering atop, and with Sarah's work, I find the reverse. Best collection artistically and craftsmanship-wise.

08-03-2011
Fat Karl

Eh. This is just not very interesting to me. I don't think I like Sarah Burton's vision of McQueen. It may be controversial to say this, but I feel, despite a long relationship with the label, she has a rather superficial concept of what McQueen really is and should be. While McQueen always was a showman, and created some of the most memorable and breathtaking gowns in the history of fashion, I don't feel like that's all there was to him. Neither were extreme, towering, teetering, gimmicky shoes (which he never actually ever did until the last year or so of his career, thank you very much).

I've written about this many times before in previous McQueen collection threads, but I feel like after Isabella Blow's death, his work changed. For the most part, I feel like they lacked an underlying soul to them (potentially because McQueen, himself, was likely to have been emotionally deteriorating from that point on anyway). During this period we had atrocious collections including "The Horn of Plenty" and "Plato's Atlantis." And I hate that, largely in part to Lady Gaga, these collections are what everyone associates with McQueen the man and McQueen the brand.

And this is how I feel like Sarah Burton is designing, as well. The house could use a serious prescription of a lot less Gaga and a lot more Isabella.

V.I.P.

This collection is satisfying a hankering that I did not even realize that I had. I've been unknowingly hankering for something that is "out there" and doesn't my fit my usual taste and preferences, There is something about this collection that reminds me of the Fall 2008 McQueen collection, not necessarily the clothes themselves, but moreso, the weird beauty of the collection. The collection is not entirely cohesive and / or the transition between themes is abrupt in some places, but that is a minor criticism and does not negate the overall greatness of the collection.

Last edited by agee; 08-03-2011 at 06:02 PM.
08-03-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Sensory overload in the most glorious of ways. The metal headpieces are genius, as they help each full-look beautifully flow (adore all those vertical and criss-crossing lines she incorporated in to the pieces to guide the eye) from head-to-toe. Love the darker elements she dispersed throughout -- not just in the obvious leather harnesses, chokers, and heavy metal spike/stud embellishments, but with that lilac dress which has a slightly sinister feel as the standalone colored dress in the collection. Burton has done a wonderful job of keeping alive McQueen's goth-romantic fairytale aesthetic.

08-03-2011
Mr. Magic

I find this collection is too... how to explain it... done? Too much to look at and leaves me cold.

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
08-03-2011
fashion insider

This is stunning.
Really love the direction Burton is taking the brand in. The female touch can definitely be seen, and definitely works!

backstage pass

The more I look at this collection the more it grips me. Like seriously. I was the biggest mcqueen fan, and while this doesn't give me the mcqueen buzz I used to love, it is giving me something and that something is very exciting. If a few of the weaker things were omitted and a few of the stronger things explored, this would have been an incredibly interesting direction for the brand. I'm no longer forcing a smile and good will with Sarah Burton, but now genuinely intrigued by her own personal vision. All is not lost.

08-03-2011
rising star

I really like it!

windowshopping

I LOVEEEEE that lavender and leather dress! LOVEEE this collection!

front row

dangerous shoes!!!!

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crying Diamonds View Post
It's a trifle ordinary for Alexander McQueen; Sarah Burton seems to have turned the collections into wearable, relatively uninteresting clothes for ladies.
I don't see any innovation in this (exposed zips that open and shut and not much else aren't innovative).
The girlishness that Burton has injected into this house isn't welcome for me, she has tried to add his old hard edge with black and leather and studs, but mixed with those feminine shapes and Valentino fluffiness, it just feels like Temperley or worse, Marchesa.

I miss McQueen :'(
funny is, there's a book about to publish called Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty. now we only have beauty without any savage excitement. I still don't think it is what we want from this brand.

08-03-2011
V.I.P.

To me this is sublime, of course its not on the same level as Lee's designs, but its pretty damn close. She is carrying on his legacy in such dignified way, i simply adore it. She brought a bit of light, and softness to the brand, and it is a different McQueen, she gets that! Would be so ridiculous of her to try and channel Lee,which is impossible anyhow, the man was one of a kind.

But i bow down to her, she is only spreading her wings, wait until she starts to fly. I will be here watching with gusto, what a talent!

08-03-2011
fashion icon

Romantic yet creative absolutely capture Mcqueen's spirit.

08-03-2011
scenester

This collection kept the beauty of McQueen intact while having Sarah's own touch in it.She is not McQueen, so we cannot expect her to ever measure up to his standards as a designer.She has turned his name into something still beautiful and captivating.She kept this harshness of McQueen but with the softness of a woman.
I love the detailing of the zippers and the details on the dresses.The entire collection was beautiful to me.Her tailoring and ideas on dresses are outstanding.all the dresses from both collections have been stunning. And the shoes are beautiful.I love the belts on the top half of the models. Very Mcqueen.

He was an original, a masterpiece. He was the picasso of the fashion industry, and is never going to be able to be replaced. So we cant expect it. The brand was left in good hands in my opinion. We are very lucky to even have the collection existing. She is taking it in a good direction while keeping McQueen inside of it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris