How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-03-2011
backstage pass

she's a worthy successor to the legend. I really thought this label was going to go away when McQueen passed away, but the future looks rather promising. To the critics who say she is deviating away from the McQueen spirit and doing more of her own thing, I think she has to sooner or later. How long can you expect a designer to worry about what would a dead person do? Just like when Karl Lagerfeld took over Chanel, he instilled his own identity into the label. I think it's inevitable that Sarah Burton must do the same with the McQueen name.

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

The detailing of everything is astounding. When I first saw the clothes, I didn't like them that much, but when you see the detail shots...it's mindblowing.

09-03-2011
fashion icon

I know that we can never truly have another McQueen but I really like what she has done this season give the theme. I think that it has really brought the inspiration forward in a more literal sense but it works for me as a collection.

V.I.P.

Also, I love how the feel on the details of the pieces match to venue where the runway show was held (the place where Marie Antoinette was executed). It has that dominatrix/s&m/i'mgonnaexecuteyou type of vibe going on.

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

Hmm...I'm trying really hard to like this but this collection just leaves me cold When I first looked through it yesterday I thought the first half of the collection was hideous and the rest was great but looking at it again I feel absolutely nothing. It's way too generic to be a Alexander McQueen collection. Lee's McQueen never was boring or repetitive whereas this just recycles tons of old McQueen designs and even some Chanel and Pucci. It's seriously lacking the McQueen spirit, IMO. And I'm usually a huge fan of the shoes at McQueen (especially the ones she did last season and the S/S 2010 ones ) but these are kind of ridiculous.

I hope I'll get to like it more after looking at it a few more times but it definitely isn't an outstanding collection to me at all.

09-03-2011
fashion insider

I didn't like McQueen's last few collections - to me, he was designing themed costumes while his earlier collections were simpler, less hyped but much more sensitive, thoughtful and sophisticated in their design, but this festooned collection is even sillier than anything McQueen ever did. She is only dressing one ridiculous woman, and that is Daphne Guinness. I am so sick of this shtick!

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
I've never seen more hideous shoes in my life.
Wow, really, the shoes just blow my mind, I love them.

09-03-2011
fashion insider

THOSE SHOES JUST GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK!
Im going to save RIGHT NOW just so i can't get each pair of those wedges
I REALLY hope they go into production, at least in the boutique

09-03-2011
front row

i'm loving this, i think there are some powerful nods to a/w 03 and a/w 04. what's probably lacking for people is the spectacle, which is something we've all come to expect. but Burton said right from the start that she would never try and do a Mcqueen-style dramatic catwalk show, just clothes. I think the clothes do a great justice to the legacy Lee left behind.

09-03-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
Eh. This is just not very interesting to me. I don't think I like Sarah Burton's vision of McQueen. It may be controversial to say this, but I feel, despite a long relationship with the label, she has a rather superficial concept of what McQueen really is and should be. While McQueen always was a showman, and created some of the most memorable and breathtaking gowns in the history of fashion, I don't feel like that's all there was to him. Neither were extreme, towering, teetering, gimmicky shoes (which he never actually ever did until the last year or so of his career, thank you very much).

I've written about this many times before in previous McQueen collection threads, but I feel like after Isabella Blow's death, his work changed. For the most part, I feel like they lacked an underlying soul to them (potentially because McQueen, himself, was likely to have been emotionally deteriorating from that point on anyway). During this period we had atrocious collections including "The Horn of Plenty" and "Plato's Atlantis." And I hate that, largely in part to Lady Gaga, these collections are what everyone associates with McQueen the man and McQueen the brand.

And this is how I feel like Sarah Burton is designing, as well. The house could use a serious prescription of a lot less Gaga and a lot more Isabella.
Sorry to quote all of your post but I agree with every bit of it. As McQueen's star rose in the last few years there was a decline and a certain generic feel about his collections. A man on autopilot. This collection feels very pastiche and I don't see anything new here, it in fact feels too severe, too crude. There is a delicacy of carrying on the McQueen aesthetic and Sarah finding her own vision and she is not there yet. The zips, peaked ruffles, leather corseting have all been seen before only the sharp hourglass dresses here are I think, quite ugly.

I just don't get people saying it's more wearable, McQueen has always been wearable. That was his trick of the catwalk, to translate designs that ultimately did shift units in the stores (eventually). There are moments where I see a McQueen I would wear but not many. There needs to be some Sarah consistency, some vision and less fur please. She may get there; I did not expect her to just hit the ground running but I do not see a collection to rave about here.

backstage pass

I expect intricate prints, various silhouettes and dazzling palette. This is not bad, just meh~

09-03-2011
rising star

Sarah Burton is doing a very good job, this is definitely the spirit of McQueen

09-03-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalynn View Post
Wow, really, the shoes just blow my mind, I love them.

agreed.they are fantastic shoes. So beautiful!!

trendsetter

This collection definitely shows that McQueen the brand will never be the same without Lee McQueen himself.
Although the aesthetic is certainly there, the spirit is gone.
Some of the pieces seems to be overworked and the shoes are very try hard.
I like the collection though and would have preferred if it wasn't labeled as McQueen.
It is certainly a challenge to keep up a reputation made by a legend.

09-03-2011
fashion insider

I took a closer look, and it's worse up close. Minus the "edgier" embellishments, studs, broken china, leather harness, lacing, the "cage", zips, shag fur, etc., these look like conventional wedding gowns with the festooned hourglass bodice opening out into extravaganza such as organza frou frou. Sure it's a lot of work, a lot of nimble fingers, but the basic shape of things remains the same - conventional evening dresses. She would be good as a period costume designer, add on the S&M touches for Daphne Guinness and GREAT for the Royal Wedding.

Last edited by Zazie; 09-03-2011 at 05:58 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris