How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2013
V.I.P.

HQs

style.com

05-03-2013
Fat Karl

Wow. She really is a horrific designer. Her concept of clothes making is incredibly limited, hidden behind an illusion of complexity. I don't care how many hours or how many pearls, shells, sequins or whatever make up each garment, the simple fact remains that Sarah Burton is incapable of creating a collection that doesn't consist entirely of hourglass, belted waist silhouettes. I don't understand?

I also find her vision of McQueen an incredibly shallow one. Does she really not think that McQueen was so much more than the showpieces? He was an incredible tailor, dressmaker, patternmaker and draper. Only idiots on Tumblr think McQueen means platform shoes, enormous ballgowns and some headpieces engulfing the wearer. Apparently Sarah is one of those herself. Look back to any of his collections prior to 2008 and you will find that most collections were made up of generally wearable clothes - that's what was so exciting about McQueen - he was able to make beautiful, realistic clothes seem like magic through his showmanship skills.

I don't think Sarah is capable of that. She just doesn't seem interesting, imaginative or clever enough.

V.I.P.

I think she should step down before she loses her dignity if she hasn't misplaced it somewhere else already.

05-03-2013
backstage pass

It looks like Haute Couture...

05-03-2013
V.I.P.

10 completely non commercial looks? So they'll be relying on those awful scarfs and the same ol' handbags to pay the bills

...but I do see the beauty in this. Would make amazing costumes for season 6-7 of Game of Thrones...

05-03-2013
trendsetter

Beautiful, yet boring. It is time she moved on. Also looks too much on the costume side.

05-03-2013
fashion insider

Staawwwppp.

It's beautiful, majestic and up close, those pieces must look stunning but even though I am sucker for anything Elizabethan, those pieces will have to be seriously edited down for commercial use. I mean, we can argue about the definition of Haute couture all we want, but Ready-to-Wear is exactly as it sounds; unique yet wearable [thus sellable] fashion. How does the brand turn a profit anyway?..

PS. The pre-Fall collection was better. In comparison, much more approachable.

05-03-2013
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
it's not that i dislike this i just dislike the redundancy. 6 years ago this probably would have been the best thing we saw. and i know mcqueen had a real knack for history but i don't recall it ever being quite this blatant. for somebody who was at mcqueen's side for as long as burton was,certainly she should have more answers than this. would love to see her experiment a bit more. we saw some great stuff from her in the pre-autumn collection,i wish that essence would have carried over into the mainline.
Exactly! That's exactly the case. McQueen's take on Victorian, or Edwardian or Elizabethan or whichever section of history he happened to be looking at was never so heavy handed. You could see the traces of historical dress but it never outweighed the modernity.

Besides, he was never, ever this one note.

The shame of the whole situation is that, thanks to accessories like those signature scarves and the showroom stuff like the countless iterations on classic sheaths, knitted dresses and wasp-waisted jackets, she'll remain at the helm because McQueen does make money. It's just the creative side of things that's severely lacking these days.

In a perfect world she would design for the runway as she designs for the pre-collections and fill the pre-collections with all the basic, marketable stuff they spin off every year.

Last edited by Spike413; 05-03-2013 at 02:28 PM.
05-03-2013
front row

Wow, she out-embellished Olivier R. o_o

It's beautiful and intricate and all that, but it's just so repetitive. And this time around it's also completely unwearable and over the top costume-y.

A collection of only ten looks and she still manages to make one half a slight alteration of the other half. Where's the creativity?

You know, it's quite obvious that their accessories must be selling like hot cakes. Create a collection around a theme and slab prints revolving around said theme on handbags, scarves and body-con minidresses and you've got a decent cash cow.

05-03-2013
tfs star

She doesn't know anything about restraint.
Only her pre-fall or resort collections have some appealing clothes presented in them

05-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
This fit more for couture rather than a ready-to-wear. I am getting quite bored with her now. This doesn't even fit to the everyday women! While Alexander was here, he often alternate from a highly couture one season and a more ready-to-wear the next and focusing on tailoring. While this is just purely decoration!
Agree. That's what I loved about his collections. He wasn't all about the couture/costume.

Pre-Fall and Resort are way more interesting which is what celebs are wearing and customers are buying. Even McQ which has gone beyond t-shirts looks better than this. I'm getting so bored but because it's McQueen I don't want to say it.

05-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
1. I thought the show was cancelled because Sarah was pregnant?

2. Were there only 10 looks in the collection?

3. I don't remember McQueen ever being such a one trick pony himself. How many times are we going to see these same looks and silhouettes come down the runway now? It seems with her, when all else fails, just add more fabric, volume and ruffles and tie it all up with some S&M gear.
Haha well said.

05-03-2013
rising star

Every season I hope to be pleased, every season, it is the opposite. I don't understand, her pre collections are good, there are wearable pieces that sort of speak to me. Then we get to the shows and it's all very stilted. Christ, the fabrics couldn't get more stilted or they would be walking down the runway themselves. Five years ago McQueen was clothes I wear to be bullet proof yet feminine, what Lee envisioned for women, now? All I see are trussed up and embellished dollies, better suited to hiding toilet rolls and sitting next to the cistern, with whom I don't relate to at all. I wish this wasn't the case, but there we go, something needs to change, pronto.

fashion elite

So basically 5 looks with a slight modification and calling it 10.

There are so many stunning techniques but there are so many of them smashed into one dress. One could easily separate them and make 4 other looks from one of these 5 presented.

Take looks 5 & 6:
- Make a bodysuit of the pearl mesh that is shown on the legs
- a short dress out of the bustier with the padded hips
- another from the black strips of silk with the pearl beading
- Something can come out of from the tighter mesh around the neck and shoulders.

05-03-2013
fashion insider

I really can't help but love this.
I do get that there's Elizabethan elements because of the collars, but I feel like I'm seeing a lot of Restoration Era influences, as well as Victorian.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, alexander, f or w, mcqueen, paris