Alexander McQueen F/W 2016.17 London - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-02-2016
windowshopping

The collection is disappointing, yes, but not horrific (bar the unicorn dress). As for the move from Paris to London, Sarah Burton is 8.5 months pregnant and about to give birth any day now. New baby, new beginnings this coming season?

24-02-2016
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanEve View Post
New baby, new beginnings this coming season?
She was already pregnant and gave birth briefly after the fall 2013 show, and nothing changed after that so i wouldn't hold my breath for new beginnings

26-02-2016
V.I.P.

sad !

01-03-2016
backstage pass

I found this a little bit dull? I don't know what happened here tbh

25-06-2016
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
First of all, that move to London was kinda weird. I don't feel like people in London really cares about "established" designers/big brands. I really feel like every brand created before Christopher Kane and that made a success outside of LFW doesn't interest that "young, cool" crowd of London.
It's not really weird, at all.

Alexander McQueen is a British brand, so it actually makes more sense to show it in London than in Paris, if anything.

Pretty sure it was originally shown in London, before being moved to Paris, anyway.

Last edited by chloehandbags; 25-06-2016 at 10:28 AM.

25-06-2016
fashion icon

^^
As i said, it's weird for them to show because LFW doesn't seem to care less about big brands.
They showed at LFW when Lee was still a struggling young talent. The same for Galliano.
IMO LFW is really great to showcase young talents but they don't have appreciation for them once they are successful.

McQueen wasn't a luxury brand when they showed in LFW. Showing in Paris just elevated the house.

For me nationality has nothing to do with it. It's almost irrelevant.

25-06-2016
V.I.P.

I do hope they move this back to Paris. Hopefully the 'brexit' comes through because it will affect it probably.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
^^
As i said, it's weird for them to show because LFW doesn't seem to care less about big brands.
They showed at LFW when Lee was still a struggling young talent. The same for Galliano.
IMO LFW is really great to showcase young talents but they don't have appreciation for them once they are successful.

McQueen wasn't a luxury brand when they showed in LFW. Showing in Paris just elevated the house.

For me nationality has nothing to do with it. It's almost irrelevant.
How is it irrelevant, when most French brands show in Paris, most Italian brands show in Milan and most American brands show in New York?

I don't see what him struggling, or not , has to do with it either?

The brand has just decided to go home to show, that's all.

That's perfectly normal (and is probably more cost-effective, too).

I also think that it is, basically, irrelevant whether the locals care about McQueen, or not.

It's just somewhere to hold a show.

It still goes on the internet (which is where most people will view it, let's face it!), either way.

Last edited by chloehandbags; 25-06-2016 at 12:21 PM.
25-06-2016
scenester

Moving back to London seemed quite natural to me. Lee McQueen was born in the East End and extremely proud of his East Ender status, saying something like he would have shown every single show in London if he could have. (I can't remember the exact sentence, but I read it in Dana Thomas' book on John Galliano and Lee McQueen, or possibly in Andrew Wilson's biography of the designer.)

The indifference and disregard among the British press towards not-so-fresh designers really annoys me. Actually when McQueen came back to London, some of the British press seemed mystified and worried that big brands might "hijack" LFW, which I found quite strange because it felt to me like London Fashion Week was finally strong enough to house both emerging young talent like Ashley Williams and Phoebe English and established brands like McQueen and Burberry while preventing talented designers like Christopher Kane leaving it for Paris.
But they were scared those brands might steal coverage from "young London designers", that London might lose its "edginess".
I find it exciting when a "young London designer" comes up, too, but I would never feel annoyed by those established brands coming back home.

In this particular case, though, I have to admit that what actually came back was a completely different creature to what it used to be, so now I can sort of understand why they felt uncomfortable with the decision.
It's not Alexander McQueen anymore, so it doesn't really belong to London, which is quite a sad thing to say.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, f or w, london, mcqueen