How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-10-2009
V.I.P.

The clothes reminds me a lot of the SS09 collection,but in a creepy and attractive way.The show is so cool,Mcqueen surely knows how to entertain his clientele and the audience
The shoes are so insanely and ridicously high!GREAT!

08-10-2009
front row

This collection absolutely blew my mind! The hair, the shoes! McQueen does fantasy like no other, i mean, Atlantis!? Incredible!

08-10-2009
fashion insider

It feels like deja vu, but no one can creep us out more than mcqueen.

TWITTER:
08-10-2009
windowshopping

the BEST show. just amazing!

08-10-2009
fashion insider

some details of the prosthesis in HQ:

vogue.co.uk

they remind me of the artist Orlan and her plastic surgery performances:

photobucket.com

08-10-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
When PPR took over Gucci group they gave all their unprofitable brands a deadline to get out of the red, if they weren't making money I doubt they would have bothered with such a production....
I went into the Mcqueen store in meatpacking and not only were there wonderful wearable clothes that still maintained the designer's integrity and vision, but women (and men) were snapping it up. If you look at his line, Mcqueen has got his product range down in concrete, and I wouldn't be surprised if he sells quite well. The budget for this show had to be staggering, I can't imagine PPR would ok such an expense, not in this economy, if the brand was struggling.
um, do you really think the big wigs at ppr would put the house of alexander mcqueen on the auction block in this economy and they'd certainly not cut him short if they'd expect his house to garner top dollar should they decide to sell. if you look at the other ppr properties and how they inched their ways toward profitability, you'd notice that they've all done a spectacular job of actually creating things that become "bestsellers." whether it's a bottega tote, a gucci boot, a stella jacket, a ysl platform, or a balenciaga bag, they all have something that people want and buy over and over and over. i just don't know whether mcqueen's design's translate into sales quite as seamlessly.

i mean, this show may have cost a mint, but i seriously wonder whether he'll even turn a profit with it.

trendsetter

I can't even click on those pics of the models faces!

Just plain weird and scary

09-10-2009
scenester

One of the best shows EVER.

09-10-2009
windowshopping

brilliant! everything about it, and the fact that he did this during the "crisis" when so many others are trying to play it safe makes me love him even more. the message is good, we need some display of freedom of thinking like that and more often.

btw does anyone know what the music is he is using at the beginning, it is extremely cryptic and captivating, i would love to listen to it more...

09-10-2009
El Viaje Definitivo

I'm reminded of anteater in some way by the shoe form.

catwalking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCQU_SS10_0209.jpg (93.0 KB, 58 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 09-10-2009 at 02:38 AM.
09-10-2009
trendsetter

^ agreed runner!

i actually think they are brilliant. somewhat unpractical, but brilliant nonetheless.

does anyone know who is responsible for footwear design at McQueen?

when viewed front on, the convex lengthens the leg with no break at all. it's quite a desirable advantage to the design.
it's certainly foreign looking, but it works in the context of the collection. and i think it may be influential.

09-10-2009
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wood View Post
I read in an interview with Cathy Horyn a few weeks ago that these materials were completely new and allowed him to work in a different way. It was fascinating because he was discussing with her how he, guesquiere, simons and a few other were all on this quest for this new loom that everyone had visualized but it hadn't been invented yet! If you are interested in the future of fashion its definitely worth a read, on the T magazine website which is part of the new york times!

hey ive searched for that article but can't find it .. .

09-10-2009
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
um, do you really think the big wigs at ppr would put the house of alexander mcqueen on the auction block in this economy and they'd certainly not cut him short if they'd expect his house to garner top dollar should they decide to sell. if you look at the other ppr properties and how they inched their ways toward profitability, you'd notice that they've all done a spectacular job of actually creating things that become "bestsellers." whether it's a bottega tote, a gucci boot, a stella jacket, a ysl platform, or a balenciaga bag, they all have something that people want and buy over and over and over. i just don't know whether mcqueen's design's translate into sales quite as seamlessly.

i mean, this show may have cost a mint, but i seriously wonder whether he'll even turn a profit with it.
Well i read since he started doing accessories the house has been profitable , the skull scarf being one of them , most houses make profits with accessories like balenciaga because its accessible more than a dress that goes up to a size 10
i think it will be easily translatable to the stores

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by versace View Post
hey ive searched for that article but can't find it .. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post

09-10-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post

MAY have cost a mint?

Didn't say they would sell it off, but EVERYONE is making cutbacks. I know for fact that some of PPR's more established brands have laid off employees, designers included. For them to put on a show of this scale when they are firing people... well they wouldn't if they weren't making money, or if they weren't expecting to make it back. If it were LVMH that's one thing but PPR isn't doing as well in this recession, of course they still need to market the brand but they would have found a cheaper solution of they needed to.

Take a peek at his online store, look at how it's merchandised and how the product ranges are developed, you'll see that it's incredibly sellable. He's developed a range of iconic McQueen pieces that focus on body conscious dressing: an asymmetrical dress, a printed dress, a sharp nipped jacket, a tailored pant, and he is just reinterpreting them each season with whichever theme of the moment. This fall it's graphic menswear patterns, next spring it'll be all those marine/kaleidoscope/skin prints. Those are the staple pieces that customers will come back for every season.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
10, alexander, mcqueen, paris, s or s