How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-10-2009
fashion icon

actually, to me it's the best show of the season, maybe of the year... it's absolutely unique, this is simply a different and personal vision of fashion that alexander gave us. really, i love fashion in paris for that

09-10-2009
scenester

this collection is the best ! i love the shoes , i wish i could get them and try to walk in it. i love the graphics and that the theme isn't ranchy or anything like that. im so happy also to see that you could see it live in internet . Mcqueen is one of the best and he is changing to a new era of fashion .

09-10-2009
backstage pass

For anyone doubting the commercial viability of Mr McQueen you need only look at Net-A-Porter, the most luxurious and established e-retailer McQueen and McCartney are the two most stocked of all the designers on the website, this I think speaks volumes!

09-10-2009
rising star

collection is amazing, i love it but shoes and model's faces looks a little scary :p

09-10-2009
old-fashioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by user.n. View Post
i don't want the real McQueen because he proved his talent in cut, so now he can afford this kind of spectacle.
i agree. and it's not like the spectacle outshines the quality of the collection.
one thing that i love about it is that, even though it shocks, there are many wearable pieces, and many that need just a few changes to become more wearable. when the first pictures came out i thought it was insane (not necessarily in a bad way), but then seeing look by look i realized the 'insanity' was more in the shoes and makeup/hair, more in the 'vibe' of the show than in the clothes themselves. we don't need to intelectualize it to see its beauty. the prints are absolutely gorgeous

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
this is great i read it too. thanks for mentioning
funny i'm after the same thing myself.. but not after a loom..

i didn't realise mcqueen was quite interested in this side even, so it's great to hear. especially with ghesquiere he already makes the fabrics himself, his atelier by hand.. it's wonderful! i can see the likeness in all of their past works.
Can anyone send me the link? I'm looking on the T website but I can't find it

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
MAY have cost a mint?

Didn't say they would sell it off, but EVERYONE is making cutbacks. I know for fact that some of PPR's more established brands have laid off employees, designers included. For them to put on a show of this scale when they are firing people... well they wouldn't if they weren't making money, or if they weren't expecting to make it back. If it were LVMH that's one thing but PPR isn't doing as well in this recession, of course they still need to market the brand but they would have found a cheaper solution of they needed to.
or perhaps he puts on a more expensive show because he doesn't spend as much on costly advertising campaigns?

Quote:
Take a peek at his online store, look at how it's merchandised and how the product ranges are developed, you'll see that it's incredibly sellable. He's developed a range of iconic McQueen pieces that focus on body conscious dressing: an asymmetrical dress, a printed dress, a sharp nipped jacket, a tailored pant, and he is just reinterpreting them each season with whichever theme of the moment. This fall it's graphic menswear patterns, next spring it'll be all those marine/kaleidoscope/skin prints. Those are the staple pieces that customers will come back for every season.
point well taken. and believe me, i don't want him to bow out as i'm quite a fan. it's just this level of spectacle strikes me as very out of step with the times and the real economic realities these design houses continue to face. as dizzyingly unexpected as i found the latest michael kors show, i know for a fact he'll sell every single thing he sent down the runway in some form. even when i look at john galliano, i can see through the spectacle and realize there's nothing but accessible party dresses there. when i look at this, my heart races along with the rest of you, i just don't see it translating into things that people actually wear on the streets. and that worries me for the future of mr. mcqueen.

i mean, the shoes on his website are heaven, but except for the daphne guinnesses of the world, who will buy his latest fares? and can that handful sustain his entire business? also, i'd like to see detail on those profitability figures. it's not like they'd say it's unprofitable if they planned to sell, either...

V.I.P.

The shoes are killing me. Best of the season, hands down.

11-10-2009
windowshopping

I'm loving the outrageous, all over animal prints. The make up and hair adds to the wild aesthetic. Pure McQueen <3

11-10-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
or perhaps he puts on a more expensive show because he doesn't spend as much on costly advertising campaigns?
Indeed, I believe the reason why McQueen was previously sans campaigns is because he rather spent his "budget" on the shows etc than on advertising. But he now has campaigns again (though they don't look too highly produced so I'm inclined to think they're not too costly).

12-10-2009
fashion insider

Hate the make up and the shoes. Maybe be I'm getting old but I can't look at those shoes without seeing the words misogyny written all over them.

12-10-2009
trendsetter

Horrible make up.
Designers never should apart his work from the beauty.

front row

love itt.. The shoes kind of remind me of a Minotaur, but splendidly so.

13-10-2009
V.I.P.

The more I look at it the more I'm in love.

But those shoes are ugly as hell.

front row

I disagree with all these people that are putting down the shoes. I feel like the shoes are super distinct and unique. The models are able to walk and work their butts in them with normal acceleration says something amazing about the shoes. Not only are they impeccable, but they function. They may not be practical, but that is only because they're basically estranged. They do look like fetish shoes, but if they are, they're one hella of a fetish shoe I've never seen in my life. What I'm amazed at is how the models aren't tottering in them. Also, McQueen pint pointed the makeup in my opinion. First of all, it's alienish, so I feel like the makeup is exactly what we pursue aliens to be- clean, simple, and majestic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
10, alexander, mcqueen, paris, s or s