How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2012
fashion elite

Alexander Wang | Spring Summer 2013 | Full Show | High Definition (Exclusive Video on You Tube)

08-09-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

Just got my first fashion moment of the season. Amazing show.
I was a bit over Alexander Wang, for me his hype was eating him alive and his work was becoming more autosuffisant than interesting. However, it's been 2 or 3 season now that he's getting my interest back. Yet this show really blew me away, for the first time he manages to produce a completely coherent collection. From the first look to the very last he followed the same straight line. No pretentious or silly experientation just a concrete and solid offer. This time he didn't show off but instead focused on producing quality work. And it did work.
First the show on itself: the music which was more than perfect for the occasion. Often fashion shows have great soundtrack but very often I don't see a real connection between the attitude of the collection and the music. Here there was a realy symbiosis between the crazy music and the urban-tribal aesthetic . I admit that the all-white section felt a bit awkward when it started but I really liked the glow in the dark effect. For a boy who dresses all the party-girls it was a question of time he produces this type of clothing. I also liked the location, looked like a garage to me, it suited the collection as well.

Now the clothes : Perfect, many many strong looks, you can tell they gonna sell like cupcakes but they still remain interesting. I appreciated that he seems to be more and more comfortable with his own codes. Somebody mentioned already that this time there isn't any obvious Balenciaga or Helmut Lang rip off. He played with his own cards this time , and I like that. The skater boy silhouette, the football jerseys, the slits etc. I also like that you can see some of the strong trends of the moments, like the harness or the multiple lenghts, but it wasn't obvious. I love that the harness for exemple is suggested in the slits of the dresses, especially in the back you can see the pattern but it's the same piece. I also really liked the tribal inspiration, he's an urban designer yes, so even when he's doing ethnic it was looks very "street" to me so the ethnic feeling here seemed to be more a question of tattoos than real exoticism.

Finally the accessories: the footwear was sick literally sick. Sick because I can't picture any woman being able to stand an entire day with these sandals on her feet especially in summer time and in NY, they must be really hard to walk with but god they are beautiful. Absolutey TDF. The bags were more discrete, with such statement clothes it's just perfect.

Again, fantastic show which really made my day so kudos to Alex and his team.

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 08-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
08-09-2012
rising star

I really enjoyed watching this presentation. I am not very knowledgeable about fashion so you won't find insite to my thoughts.

#1: Those shoes in the second half were so beautiful.
#2: I really appreciated the dresses towards the end, the slits were sexy without being TOO SEXY.

Well done I say!

08-09-2012
V.I.P.

nowfashion

V.I.P.

nowfashion

V.I.P.

Great show. The presentation is always very strong in his shows, and this was no different. This seems like a step forward for him also. It felt stronger than previous seasons.

08-09-2012
V.I.P.

nowfashion

Wanderlust

I did not find it that spectacular at all. Although the clothes appeared to be well-made, it was very one-note and did not offer that much options to choose from. The colour palette bored me and the cut-out technique was pushed too much for me. I did not like the strap below the knee on the shoes that much either.

I'm in the minority, but that's okay.

08-09-2012
V.I.P.

nowfashion

V.I.P.

nowfashion

fashion elite

wasnt thrilled about the first part of the show with the masculine like pieces but the look before Erin Wassons and after was beautiful

fashion insider

I have not enjoyed an Alexander Wang collection this much since Spring 2008. Bravo! Well done!

V.I.P.

nowfashion

barcode

I'm very pleasantly surprised by this. I usually don't expect to love an Alexander Wang collection, and I can only think of one other time when I did, but credit where it's due; these clothes look extremely well made in images. Considering that this is the guy who made his name doing clothes that looked more styled than actually designed, these clothes are very impressive. I would've loved some color somewhere, even if it was just one really loud, bold primary to offset the neutrals, but that and the ugly closed-toe shoes are my only complaints.

Loved those cutout dresses at the end, and the beige paneled snakeskin top with the "laddered" detailing.

08-09-2012
tfs star

First fashion moment this season!!! But Wang's problem remains, great show but it needs a tougher edit..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, alexander, s or s, wang, york