How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-09-2012
V.I.P.

probably the first time i've ever liked AW collection. love the cutouts!

EDIT: only now read the thread in total. figures i'd like it since the idea doesn't seem his.

Last edited by dajrekshn; 10-09-2012 at 06:42 PM.

10-09-2012
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
because he pushed it forward and made it his own
Really? He took an idea that's been around since the Mod era at least and completely changed the way people look at it, compared every single other designer who's done it similarly and before him?

I respectfully disagree with that.

10-09-2012
fashion icon

The collection is Major, I love that he keeps pushing his envelope and leverage each collection.

10-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
because he pushed it forward and made it his own
totally agree. i cant even believe ppl are defending this guy

Last edited by alonsoJonathan; 10-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.
11-09-2012
barcode

^ And likewise I can't believe people are making it sound like Tufi Duek invented disconnected panels of fabric held together with a nude/invisible material as a construction technique even though countless other designers have been there and done that well before he came up with the idea.

Talk about ludicrous!

11-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
^ And likewise I can't believe people are making it sound like Tufi Duek invented disconnected panels of fabric held together with a nude/invisible material as a construction technique even though countless other designers have been there and done that well before he came up with the idea.

Talk about ludicrous!
gurl please, no-one is saying he invented that
and i doubt anyone would care if it was just the technique he copied, i wouldn't
it's not even interesting

but the technique is very similar, the shoes are very similar and the hair/face stripe is very similar. how more blatant can you get?

11-09-2012
front row

^ 100% agree with you. I've seen quite a lot of panel dresses around the runway of the past decade. The shoes are something you don't see every 2 or 3 years, though. But the combination of those two? What are the chances?

fashion insider

^
Well said arkasha. The combinative work of both the clothes and footwear are perfection, Chalayan may have done looks like these, but not as wearable as Alexander Wang made them.

backstage pass

The clothes okay, I can get why he could easily get away with those... but the shoes? Pretty blatant imho (and this coming from someone who loves AW and constantly rolls their eyes at the incessant "he's copied *insert balciaga/givenchy/comme des garcons* etc" that TFS is so fond of).

Last edited by barbiestolemyDVN; 11-09-2012 at 09:09 AM.
11-09-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
^
Well said arkasha. The combinative work of both the clothes and footwear are perfection, Chalayan may have done looks like these, but not as wearable as Alexander Wang made them.
LOL no you misunderstood my post, it seems. I meant what are the chances of combining those kind of shoes and those kind of dresses in one show, exactly like the Tufi Duek collection mentioned in this thread.

barcode

Quote:
gurl please, no-one is saying he invented that
and i doubt anyone would care if it was just the technique he copied, i wouldn't
it's not even interesting

but the technique is very similar, the shoes are very similar and the hair/face stripe is very similar. how more blatant can you get?
I'm absolutely not denying that the shoes are similar, and while the hair is a similar idea it's also not an uncommon one and is executed differently. Even the construction is only similar, not the same, and neither of the two designers in question were responsible for originating it despite the fact that each put an individual twist on it. I just get a kick out of the fact that one person mentions Tufi Duek and all of a sudden this entire collection is a gigantic rip off of a few looks and shoes the guy did a year ago which, no doubt, were influenced by the work of somebody else. The similarities are there, but there are similarities to plenty of other designers as well.

And I'm not your gurl.

Last edited by Spike413; 11-09-2012 at 01:36 PM.
11-09-2012
etre soi-meme

Getting serious deja vu, right? The similarities are unquestionable. Alexander Wang Spring 2013 vs. Dion Lee and Tufi Duek via fashionista.com

11-09-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i seem to recall rudi gernreich made that geometric cut-out look famous back in the 60's...if you do a search on he or model peggy moffitt will provide many examples of that style. for me it's not so much about that it's the cut-out it's just that it is in such a literal context which i find terribly boring. chalayan did it and did with his own spirit in mind and viewpoint. wang basically has done the very same look that we remember from the legendary gernreich,imo.

Last edited by Scott; 11-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
13-09-2012
backstage pass

It's a nice collection overall, and all the clothes are nice and well made, but it kind of falls flat for me. And there were some pieces that looked like rip-offs from Lanvin.

14-09-2012
V.I.P.

Anyone know who did the music for the runway show?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, alexander, s or s, wang, york