How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

Alexander Wang Served with 50 Million Dollar Lawsuit Over Sweatshop
Designer sued for ‘exploits’

By CHRISTINA CARREGA

nypost

His fans call him chic, but his workers say he’s exploitative.
Superstar designer Alexander Wang — famed for his laid-back, fall-out-of-bed fashions — ruthlessly runs a Chinatown sweatshop where workers are abused, says a $50 million lawsuit.
Thirty workers claim they were forced to work 16 hours a day or longer — without overtime — in a suffocating, windowless, 200-square-foot room by the acclaimed fashionista, who earned a whopping $25 million in 2011.
Wenyu Lu and dozens of co-workers charge that Wang, 28, and his brother, Dennis, violated numerous state labor laws in their operation at 386 Broadway.

As a result, Lu and the others have suffered injuries, illnesses, lost time from work and lost sleep, says their suit filed in Queens Supreme Court.

Lu, 56, claims he was hospitalized for several days after he passed out at his workstation because he was forced to work 25 hours without a break and was warned that he would be fired if he didn’t follow orders.
Among the orders was to “knit and perfect” a pair of leather trousers in four hours — a job that normally takes 12 hours, Lu said.
Lu was ultimately fired on Feb. 16 after complaining about the working conditions and applying for worker’s compensation, said Ming Hai, his lawyer.
Wang, who last year opened a 4,000-square-foot flagship store in Chinatown, is planning to open another 15 stores by the end of this year, including one in China.
The designer’s reps said they had no comment because they had yet to be served with the lawsuit.
The California-born phenom burst onto the downtown New York scene when he launched his first women’s ready-to-wear collection in 2007.
Since then, he’s become known for his casual, weathered T-shirts, tank tops, dresses — and outrageously high-heel platform sandals — carried by such as high-end retailers Barneys, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman.

Last edited by lucy92; 06-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.

06-03-2012
fashion icon

If this is true then I've lost all my respect for Alexander Wang.

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

^me too

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
He was forced to work 25 hours without a break and was warned that he would be fired if he didn’t follow orders.
This is completely and utterly despicable. We don't live in 1800 anymore and if that statement is true, Wang deserves to pay every penny this people are asking for. Honestly, after reading this and the Marc Jacobs vs unpaid models thread I'm starting to dislike the fashion industry and the people who allow and endorse such exploitation of working people.

fashion elite

If this is true than lets hope Karma will hit him hard !!!

06-03-2012
backstage pass

Oh, please...his PR people will be allll over this like a fly over horse sh**...I'm sure this happened, but we'll never know...they'll probably reach some undisclosed settlement and then move on...that's the way it always is. He has too many people surrounding him and "supporting" him to let this hurt his business...

06-03-2012
front row

Absolutely despicable, if this is true. Unfortunately, this isn't an uncommon practice among big name brands. It's really disheartening that people are forced to live and work under such inhumane conditions.

06-03-2012
backstage pass

OMG if it is true, this is so ****ed up...

06-03-2012
backstage pass

This is horrific.

It's so scary to think what goes on behind the scenes of these large fashion houses...I'm glad at least this story has gotten out. It really makes me lose respect for Wang.

trendsetter

That's just embarrassing and disgusting.
I really hope it's not true, but this is something that can hurt him forever.

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

that is truly awful..seriously...makes me glad i don't own any of his stuff cause i would not be proud of that now!!

front row

in this day and age? really. well, Wang's lost one follower in me.

06-03-2012
fashion insider

Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang are now crossed from my shopping list, for good. Rich, Famous and CHEAP.

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

^So true! On top of being utterly inhumane, it's the cheapness
that also gets me. You guys are making millions AND charging
out the a$$.

PAY YOUR PEOPLE AND TREAT THEM FAIRLY. Ugh it's not rocket science.

06-03-2012
V.I.P.

Question is if they had to work under these absolutely intolerable circumstances only a few days per year (due to fashion week) which would be quite normal in the fashion industry or if they had to work like this all year. If the latter applies, I hope the judge will rip his company apart. Are 50 million $ realistic in US jurisdiction? Because his company does only make revenue of 25 million a year.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
50, alexander, dollar, lawsuit, million, served, sweatshop, wang