How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-04-2005
spoilt victorian child

^ Ha, I know one of the guys in that shoot! He never mentioned anything about modelling.

Thank you for posting, runner, it looks like a very cool "magazine"...wish I could read Japanese...

27-04-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Runner,what would we do without you Dank U

05-05-2005
fashion elite

Performance

www.quartier21.mqw.at

05-05-2005
fashion elite

Quote:

With a small suitcase and a white chair, fashion designer duo Cosmic Wonder became the first arrivals at the MuseumsQuartier under the new Artists-in-Residence programme. Maeda Yukinori and his assistant Miyako Nakagawa are the people behind the Cosmic Wonder label. Based in Osaka, they are responsible for some of the most off-beat fashion coming out of Japan at the moment.

MQ has four apartments, dedicated to electronic music, pan-European art, fashion and cultural organisations. Each comes rent-
free for 12 months, and is funded by sponsorship money. The invitation to Cosmic Wonder came from Helga Schania and
Hermann Fankhauser a.k.a.Wendy &Jim one of the most avantgarde fashion labels of recent years. "In Europe, intellectual design
still scares people," say Schania and Fankhauser. For the past year they have been tackling the problem head-on with a 50 sqm show curated by themselves, entitled FOUND FOR YOU.

With their emphasis on conceptual fashion design, Cosmic Wonder fit the ambitions of Wendy &Jim like a glove. The basic idea of the Japanese duo is to put the seemingly unwearable centre stage. Playing with the current desire for the protection afforded by coats in all guises, Cosmic Wonder recently created a piece with a naked woman behind a curtain which is integrated into a dress. Part of their Curtain Collection has now been included in FOUND FOR YOU at the MQ.

The first guests at the MQ will not be staying for long.Next in line on Wendy &Jim s list of movers and shakers is the German pop author Joachim Bessing.He moves in on 7 November and will be followed by Berlin s Honeysuckle Company in mid December.

article & pictures from mqw.at

05-05-2005
fashion elite

More on the curtains performance from above

http://www.realtokyo.co.jp

www.nourbakhsch.de

Last edited by cerfas; 05-05-2005 at 11:33 AM.
07-05-2005
fashion elite

I just realized--I feel a kind of connection btwn Cosmic Wonder & Raf Simons S/S 2004

Maybe it's just the futuristic/hippie-ish vibe and the monochrome
www.firstview.com

Last edited by cerfas; 07-05-2005 at 10:15 PM.
13-05-2005
fashion elite

F/w 2001

13-05-2005
fashion elite

F/W 2002

firstview

13-05-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerfas
Wow, Scott, thanks for that great link and the beautiful photos...they are my world for the next ten minutes.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's less about the clothes than...something else, although I couldn't say what it is. The performance, the presentation, the look altogether. I'm not sure that the clothes are so exciting by themselves, and they probably aren't that significant when considered in the context of fashion history. and while I hesitate to call what he does art, that's sort of the closest thing. Because it's not really fashion. Reminds me of Feral Childe, a duo of two New York-based artists who make clothes (for cash), but also art objects and large installations with performances...they are also practicing artists, one a painter, the other a video artist, so this kind of artistic creative energy pervades all that they do, even if not everyone would agree that it's "art" per se.
I've always thought of art and fashion as one. Fashion IS art, using textiles. So, if you were to say his clothing isn't too much fashion, but art, I'd say it's the same thing. But, I do get what you're going for. The fact that some of his clothing aren't too 'wearable'. Like the seethrough pants and what not. I just wnated to say and clarify the art and fashin part.

<3 Me.

I'm game to play along.

13-05-2005

^those collections I think I connect with more.

29-05-2005
El Viaje Definitivo

you're welcome cerfas, droogist, Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cw1.jpg (25.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cw2.jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)

Let the stars decide
29-05-2005

Love that pairing...!!!

30-09-2005
a dim capacity for wings

i don't know if it was mentioned already but accompanying the cosmic wonder exhibition in eindhoven this summer there is also a sort of catalogue/art book featuring work of kim gordon, animal collective, yoshimi, LEMURIA, soft circle and yuki kimura... published by purple books

http://www.mu.nl/exhibitions/58-Cosm...onder-eng.html

30-09-2005

^is Purple selling the book through their web site,you think? I ask because they published that catalogue book of Inge Grognard and it cannot be found anywhere.

30-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
^is Purple selling the book through their web site,you think? I ask because they published that catalogue book of Inge Grognard and it cannot be found anywhere.
They ahve it on http://ideabooks.nl/ , it's 25 euro, i don't know if they can ship to America, but i sent them an email asking.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cosmic