How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Altuzarra Pre-Fall 2015

Twitter/WWD

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Full Collection

style.com

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

style.com

2 Weeks Ago
front row

Same ole same ole. Looks good. Some look like Michael Kors and not in a good way. I dunno. I think he has a lot of potential to do better than this.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

He is like a mish mash of Tom Ford and Michael Kor's aesthetic but with crappy tailoring.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion icon

From time to time he did military very well,but I agreed it's repeated collection even though it's quite gorgeous.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
He is like a mish mash of Tom Ford and Michael Kor's aesthetic but with crappy tailoring.

LOL I agree, it's all over the place. I mean I think some of the looks are very nice, but the collection as a whole doesn't seem to transition from military to civilian wear smoothly at all. And maybe that's not really an issue? Maybe collections don't have to be cohesive? I dunno.

2 Weeks Ago
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
LOL I agree, it's all over the place. I mean I think some of the looks are very nice, but the collection as a whole doesn't seem to transition from military to civilian wear smoothly at all. And maybe that's not really an issue? Maybe collections don't have to be cohesive? I dunno.
Altuzarra is another useless NYC designer with all the right media connections. Altuzarra's looks is steeped in Tom Ford/ Michael Kor's aesthetic, just as Wang 's aesthetic is steeped in Helmut Lang and NG's aesthetic. The difference is Wang's tailoring is good, and his accessories are very good.

2 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Clearly inspired by Balmain, that leopard skirt is almost the same one!

rising star

I really want to like Altuzarra but his work is always under the influence of another designer. The cargo skirts are very Celine resort 2010, the others cargo looks are either Balenciaga fall 2001 or Tom Ford (when he is doing cargo). The details on the suits...Tom Ford did it on his suits for SS2014. The last dress..

After seeing the way he worked in the Mademoiselle C documentary, i'm not at all surprised by it.

But it's good collection...a good best-of.

1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

Ugh, he is such a hack.

The leopard skirts with the lacing is so Tom Ford/YSL Spring/Summer 2002 and everything else looks like a bad mix of Michael Kors and Prabal Gurung.

backstage pass

^^^ Prabal-wannabe? Ultimate insult LOL

What is the attraction to designers like him?

If a woman likes designs "inspired" by greater designers but redone in a more wearable version, why not just buy from the designer-inspired lines from any given high-end department store? Is the quality that impeccable from Altuzarra? Except for the ghastly tassels on every single piece of clothing from a previous collection, I can't tell anything he designs apart from any given local boutique/department store that churns out supposed high fashion-y clothes. Are women just attracted to name-dropping "Altuzarra"? Are they just attracted to him? ... He is an extremely handsome guy... Are his backers that determined to make him into a name...? Aren't there more original labels they can invest in to pimp to the fashion victims?

Along with Prabal, and to a lesser extent, Proenza, Jason Wu, I just don't see the potential in their consistently ripping off of other leading designers, wrangling it all into a watered-down, lesser collection to call their own, and selling it for premium designer prices. I mean, why not just cop the original versions...? Is it about supporting American designers?

Ruthless PR sure can do wonders by turning handsome dressmakers into high fashion designers.

1 Week Ago
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
^^^ Prabal-wannabe? Ultimate insult LOL

What is the attraction to designers like him?
Hahaha glad the insult was not lost! Haha

I really do not understand the attraction is to designers like him, either...not only is he completely unoriginal, the quality of his clothes is really terrible - I was shocked when I saw them in person at Barneys a year or two ago. Bulky, heavy-handed, ill suited fabrics for the intended silhouette, etc. I really can't comprehend why these guys (like Altuzarra, Prabal, Wu, Proenza, etc) are pushed so hard when they really, truly have nothing to offer.

Listen - I'm not naive - the wheel has been invented. The only way a designer now can differentiate their work is to have a strong personal taste and a strong personal vision to which they can filter multitudes of information through. There is only one "you," after all, and if you've figured out what your "filter" is, you can almost do anything and it will recognizably look like "you." However, when you don't even both to filter the inspiration? Especially when that inspiration is coming from another designer's work? Even more so when that designer is still working today and their archive is not a distant memory for most? It's just obnoxious.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 1 Week Ago at 11:17 AM.
1 Week Ago
rising star

Quote:
However, when you don't even both to filter the inspiration? Especially when that inspiration is coming from another designer's work? Even more so when that designer is still working today and their archive is not a distant memory for most? It's just obnoxious.
+ the thing with Tom Ford and Nicolas Ghesquiere is that they were at the helm of Gucci & Balenciaga for 10 & 15 years. Each shows they did have a distinct style/esthetic. So why bother to copy if you don't have fresh ideas to make it different.
And now, Tom is doing his version of his old work and Nicolas is doing a more soft version of his old work.

This is maybe the problem of that NYC guard. They are a supposed to be the "new" version of an influencial designer.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2015, altuzarra, prefall