Ann Demeulemeester to Exit Label - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-11-2013
flaunt the imperfection

hhaha...
good for her!

it's a good time to go...

leave the circus to the freaks and geeks...

20-11-2013
fashion icon

This is the worst possible news. Ann is one of the few designer whose approach on fashion I've always admired, she always did her own thing and did it so well. I'm going to miss her wonderful dark collections.
I really hope she's not going to leave fashion permanently.

V.I.P.

Well, that was definitely unexpected and really sad. Wishing Ann only the best for her future!

20-11-2013
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Because high fashion has been cheapened and lowered its standards of creativity (but not the prices) like everything else in the last several years and it's become all about branding. Just look at the rise of the new designers hailed as the next guard...

Anyway, Ann leaving is a genuine surprise.

Her reasons for leaving are her own, of course. It's disappointing another fashion leader has left. She was truly admirable in her approach to her craft and business, art and commerce. Even after all these years, her label remained just the mainline without ever cashing in on all the standard diffusion lines that even the likes of Yohji and Rei couldn't resist. There never was a perfume and cosmetic line as well. Not that had she developed these other ventures, she would have been any less of a designer, but the fact that she never did, is truly a rare trait to see in any individual in her position and I find that a beyond admirable trait in this industry.

Her touch will be missed, and I hope she will return in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came about now she's leaving - Ann Demeulemeester eye shadow for TopShop.. and what about an H&M collaboration? The new Margiela sacrilegiously thought it fit to collaborate, why not Ann?
House morals are passé, it's now solely about raking it in.

The brand is unique and Ann will be sorely missed, I hope they find someone to continue her beautiful dream.

20-11-2013
Soviet Camaro

I'm surprised, but I am happy for her that she feels she accomplished what she set out to do, and is ready for new challenges. I'm curious to see what she does next.

I hope the brand doesn't falter, but nothing lasts forever...

20-11-2013
V.I.P.

You know, I used to immediately dismiss the people and posters that always said "fashion is dead", "creativity is gone", "fashion has become brainless", thinking they were nothing but purists, conspirationsts, apocalyptic thinkers. With all the news of experienced designers leaving their labels, I can't help but recognize there's some truth to their argument - the era of fashion that valued creativity and expression is slowly fading away and giving space to the era of fashion that values commerciality and customer satisfaction. Whether that's gonna last is a mystery, but anything that devalues creativity, especially in a field as personal as fashion is, is sad in my book.
I'm devastated by the news, and I wish Ann the best in her future endeavors.

20-11-2013
backstage pass

I have no words hardly. Ann Demeulemeester was my favourite designer and the only one I would in the future save money to buy clothes from. I am really heart broken. Never the less I hope her decision to exit is on the best terms for her and her future, I wish her well.

Hell on Heels

This is the worst news ever. I haven't been this upset over anything fashion after Lee's death. I can't.

20-11-2013
front row

I swear that if the fashion industry continues on this path, in 10 years they won't be any independent successful designer left... I guess some big company is trying to buy the brand to turn it into some Margiela-esque lifeless business

20-11-2013
V.I.P.

Sad, true artists are leaving the field.

trendsetter

Nooooooooooooooooo oh my god

20-11-2013
scenester

I think it's quite brave and smart of her, to be able to leave your own brand when you feel it's time. If she felt obliged to stay at the brand it would've stagnated and that would've been worse. This way she can tackle a new interest or challenge completely free and someone else can challenge themselves with her brand.

20-11-2013
Stitch:the Hand

it's completely left of field but i agree with you softie….just reading her letter,it really feels as though her interest in fashion has dissipated and she's not that crazy about the banality fashion has fallen prey to….notice her multiple use of the term "brand". i don't think i ever recall ann using such a word….ever. if anything to take away,what i adore about this is that she does seem to be genuinely leaving on her own terms which i find brave of her considering her label still carries with it this immense feeling of vitality even in fashion's current state of affairs. not sure if that will carry on after her departure or not but we shall see. but it certainly doesn't instill you with much confidence for the future when we've lost so many innovators on the forefront….whether it's jil,helmut,margiela….and we almost lost yohji for a spell….and now ann is leaving. not to mention the countless smaller talents that have disappeared. the outlook has looked depressing for a while. i used to remember a time when i couldn't even count how many fantastic talents who were doing great stuff because there were so many….now i can simply count on my hands.

20-11-2013
fashion insider

Sh** son, that's upsetting to me.

Last edited by Morphe; 20-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.
20-11-2013
V.I.P.

This news makes me rather sad . It took me a while to appreciate Ann's vision as a designer but eventually there came a stage where seeing her collections always counted as a personal high point of each fashion season.

I feel like I'm seeing a gradual pattern occurring within this industry and it's certainly not good...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ann, demeulemeester, exit, label