How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-04-2011
tailored

Aquilano and Rimondi Out at Gianfranco Ferré
Quote:
MILAN — Gianfranco Ferré’s new owner, Paris Group, has pushed out the brand’s creative directors Tommaso Aquilano and Roberto Rimondi, WWD has learned.

A well-placed source said “sales didn’t go well at all and the designers have already left.”

Paris Group owner Abdulkader Sankari and his son Ahmed attended their first Ferré show as the new owners of the brand in February and, while tight-lipped about the future of the company, it was obvious the designing duo was treading on uncertain terrain. Ahmed Sankari, who took on the role of chairman of the company, and his father spoke highly of chief executive officer Michela Piva, who appears to be confirmed in her role, but were less warm about Aquilano and Rimondi. “We will see,” was all they had to say when asked if the duo would stay on at the house.

A retailer who asked to remain anonymous also blamed poor sales as the main reason for their departure. “We bought a minimal amount of the collection for the sake of carrying the brand, but there simply were not enough samples,” said the retailer. “There was almost no daywear and evening wear was fairy-tale-like, something for the Oscars. It may work for a small, niche brand, but not for such a global brand.”

For complete coverage, see Wednesday’s WWD.
wwd / april 19, 2011

19-04-2011
fashion insider

What??? I've really loved this duo at Ferre, and if their latest collection wasn't too suitable for everyday wear, at least previous collections should have been. I'll really miss them and I hope them the best for the future.

It's so surprising, but no one has stability in the fashion industry these days,

Anything on their replacements?

V.I.P.

"It's so surprising, but no one has stability in the fashion industry these days,"

It is not that surprising: it is becoming more and more about brand, sales, owners. Designers just need to come up with the goods or get out. Sad. I don't think people should have to create on the brink of fear or in full fledged paranoia; it is why they eventually burn out. Of course I don't want to see the opposite - a bunch of complacents. But why not something in between? There are lean years in any business - and for many different reasons. Ride them out maybe. But it has become a fad to keep the "house" and fire the designer, to get new "blood" - interesting metaphor. Forget the human being pumping the blood, it's all about the buck. Sigh. I guess I am an idealist.

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 19-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
19-04-2011
fashion insider

This is a shame, they'd been putting out some good collections, but not surprising.

V.I.P.

WHAT?
What do they do!!!
NO...

19-04-2011
fashion insider

^I meant that I was surprised it would be these two. Of course it makes sense considering the reason, but I never saw this one coming.

backstage pass

Seriously? Wtf? Ferre shows were among my faves from Milan FW since they took over, both mens and womens wear... The chefs at IT Holding better have someone really awesome as replacement, I hear IT is doing pretty bad financially, maybe is why the duo got sacked - too exxy vs sales. Mewonders if they might go for the 'design team' route for GF due to the financial stuff.

V.I.P.

they just dont want me to enjoy fashion these days anymore...

19-04-2011
V.I.P.

Oh my God, the musical chairs keep going on and on! I can't beluieve this! Aquilano and Rimondi were doing such a great job...

19-04-2011
fashion icon

Well, they had a fantastic start but the collections became so inconsistent. Not surprised about the gossip about poor sales. On top of that, they never managed to create the traction for the brand that in this day and age is absolutely required to succeed.

19-04-2011
V.I.P.

Ah, that's too bad. I absolutely adore their FW11 collection. It was one of my favorite from last season. So incredibly chic.

no tom ford, no thanks.

while the last two collections remain blockbuster from a runway perspective, the two have continuously put out stronger work for their eponymous line than they did for the house of ferre. in fact, i do believe their namesake label remains more buzzworthy than ferre under their tutelage.

trendsetter

^Yeah, I'm not at all surprised by this. It was only a matter of time.

20-04-2011
Alluring

Oh dear, they're out as well? Now that's a year of changes indeed.

20-04-2011
Looking Up

Nooo! Those guys were like the only successful transition of any major house that I've seen. Better than Valentino for sure!! But that being said, you could kinda tell that sales weren't gonna be too good. But it's such a shame because they looked like they were genuinely starting to push forward, instead of just scabbing off the archives.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
aquilano, ferré, gianfranco, rimondi