How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2011
fashion insider

I really like this, no one does structural garments like Ghesquiere, I love how mind blowngly well made the clothes are, and meant to stand away from the body. Can't wait for a video to see those beautiful skirts in motion.
Btw, those shoes are pure insanity! They're painfull to watch, but amazing!

03-03-2011
backstage pass

Very disappointing collection!! Nothing new...

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

what an amazing collection!!!!

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
Well, this is pretty much my idea of a perfect Balenciaga collection.. the last few seasons have been an eyesore with the shamelessly identical looks and an overused silhouette, not to mention the techniques kindly 'borrowed' from smaller designers, this is different for me in the fact that it doesn't seem too eager to be groundbreaking or an editorial favorite, the pieces are very easy to wear and blend in, but they still have a bit of an experimental twist but controlled, at least in color, there's nothing about this that screams fashion victim (like the clothes he's been making in the last years).. like *ana* said, this definitely resembles his earlier shows, when it was all about practical pieces that looked quite elegant from a distance, practical from three feet away and highly intricate up close. Very nice..
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

This is the one where I actually get so excited upon viewing ala FW2007 after a few seasons of lackluster clothes . This is darn near perfection Balenciaga for me. When everybody is doing 40s, 60s, 70s clothes, Nicolas uses all of those referential elements to create a experimental futuristic collection, with incredibly wearable and non-alienating clothes, without looking like concert costumes, or sex shop gears (mmm Mugler)

V.I.P.

oh i do like it!

03-03-2011
fashion elite

meh. not that interesting or that inventive. it looks like the schizophrenic love child child of calvin klein and marni to be honest...

03-03-2011
tfs star

I absolutely despise the Baroque Accessories they're random and cheap especially for Balenciaga. The giant leather knits reminds me of intestines. It's also a bit too repetitive. As of right now I am very disappointed.

03-03-2011
front row

I had to look at it a second time to get my opinion. I liked some of the pieces, but i certainly did not think it was a great Balenciaga collection. I like how the clothes are fresh and new, but this collection didn't seem too exciting. I'm not saying it was bad, but it wasn't the best one i've seen.

03-03-2011
scenester

I love the clothes in the collection, but I'm not really a fan of the shoes. They're not as avant-garde or extreme as I like to see from Ghesquiere. I do love the styling with the bold linear eyeshadow, one of my favorite Balenciaga signatures.

03-03-2011
fashion insider

Quote:

By Nicole Phelps

The last time we saw flowers at Balenciaga was ages ago, but even if you recall Spring 2008's orderly bouquets, they didn't look anything like the mix of exotic, colorful blooms and reptiles we saw on the first looks to hit the runway today. The shape, a below-the-knee skirt with an easy drape in the front (it was more structured in back), was new for Nicolas Ghesquière, too—longer, looser, and less restrained than usual. The jackets he showed them with were dramatic with a capital D, knit as they were from giant ribbons of faux leather, a favorite material of late. In Ghesquière's words, "The season is a game of proportion, zooming in on textures, the way seeing things with a loop [a magnifying glass] can give you different, shifting points of view. It's a bit surrealist."

Part of Ghesquière's genius is the way he can transform the outré, even the outlandish, into an object to covet (those Lego shoes come to mind). That said, this wasn't a Balenciaga collection in which couture-level innovation and experimentation trumped wearability, those macro knit jackets notwithstanding. The shoe, a pointy-toed multi-strap Mary Jane with a stiletto heel, was as normal as they come here, although close observers will have noticed that the hand-painting and rococo details extended to the soles.

Among the propositions that could've strolled right off the Crillon's white-tiled runway (a reproduction of the one found in Balenciaga's Left Bank atelier): the spongy sweaters with military detailing worn with black versions of those floral skirts; the fluid, asymmetrical color-blocked crepe de chine tunics paired with skinny trousers with zips at the back of the ankles; and the dresses stitched with lengths of copper mesh that sculpted the neckline and created a three-dimensional drape at the hip. Miranda Kerr, back on the runway less than two months after giving birth, looked fantastic modeling hers—something that presumably didn't go unnoticed by her husband, Orlando Bloom, sitting front-row. Ghesquière closed with a pair of coats inspired by an archival Cristobal piece from 1965. Each one was made from a simple, rectangular piece of fabric. Elegant and effortless, this was realism trumping surrealism. That's what will make this collection a resounding success.
style.com

backstage pass

I really like those shiny leather jackets. Seems Nicolas is still working a lot on the textile recently, and I love the textiles exploring. The clothes are wired in a good way...it's wired , but u like it. I think this will be a more sell-able collection for B. The one thing I dont like it's the shoes, since they always have have coolest shoes from the fashion week

V.I.P.

I love the accessories, specifically the shoes, especially those with the horse ensignia on them. look very regal.

I'm tire of the same hard edged/architectural/color blocking designs we've been seeing season to season. I wish he had used the prints seen in the skirts in other ways. they definitely softened the collection, but not nearly enough.

03-03-2011
fashion insider

the shoes look painful and amazing

03-03-2011
front row

Hate everything

The more I see, the more I want to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

03-03-2011
scenester

I don't understand the hate for this collection! I just don't. The shoes could have been more interesting, yes, but the clothing is phenomenal. The color blocking, the knit leather, the cobalt blues... I think it was brilliant as far apparel goes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, balenciaga, f or w, paris