How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2012
fashion insider

One of the safest collections from him so far....wish he did more!

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

The sci-fi printed sweaters were the highlight of this collection for me I don't know, most of it is painfully ugly again (everyone stop with those baggy pants, please) but this is way more charming than the Pre-Fall and the S/S collection, I somehow just cannot hate it because the show space, the soundtrack, the whole mood of the collection and the casting all just made sense. I suppose you could say the theme was executed perfectly and that's what almost makes this good.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

This is absolutely hideous. Ghesquiere is trying far too hard to be new and edgy; his last few collections are evidence of this. Hopefully once he lets this obsession with the 80's go, the aesthetic will shift into a more visually appealing territory.

01-03-2012
windowshopping

The outfits looking great (those printed sweaters!!), but the shoes....MOST HORRIBLE SHOES I've ever seen from Balenciaga.

01-03-2012
rising star

The outerwear is intriguing. I like the contrast finishes on the bottom of the dresses. And the sweaters are covetable.

But I still need time to digest. Especially the last five looks, I think my confusion is mostly with those.

01-03-2012
backstage pass

A new venue away from Hotel Crillon's gilded salon and if Chanel HC SS12's venue was a plane this felt a little like the airport.

It's merely a question of how long it takes you to come round to Balenciaga collections. Because whether it takes 6 seconds or 6 seasons come round to them you will. One way or another. Resistance is futile. Just choose your speed.

I will come back but first impressions in motion. Phase 1 - eye drawn to upper thigh. play of hiding and showing. stocking tops but not. Baudrillard. Phase 2 - bloated 'away from the body' muscle silhouettes. mid century Cristobal @ sacque back and dolman on the 7/8th. boxy but later pinched waisted. Phase 3 - samurai. shine. rampant 80's - sports, animals, speed.
Beholder requires cage for own protection. Wearer ultimately a pumped and dangerous creature of seduction.

edit - in fact the sleeves are more 9/8ths. So for all the hard full surfaces there is some slouch present cutting back.

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 01-03-2012 at 05:11 AM.
01-03-2012
Ère de ℳodernité

When I put it in perspective, I really don't like that neon/sci-fi woman Ghesquière has been obsessed with for some seasons now. Balenciaga stopped to be appealing to me after Fall 2009... His woman used to have a certain elegance with a modern edge. Now the only thing left is that modern edge. She looks frumpy and seems to be the kind of girl who would spend her time listening to 80s songs after watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind for the fiftieth time.

Excluding three jackets and a coat, everything is horribly cut. It looks like the girls borrowed clothes from their aunt who used to be a stripper in the 80s, and grabbed a couple of garbage bags that they turned into pants.

As a whole, that collection is forgettable -- with the exception of those bands (movies?) sweaters, that I'm sure will do well in stores and in magazines.

V.I.P.

I don't think we can call this Futurism anymore...most of the designers have caught up with this style...overall I'm kind of disappointed with this collection...doesn't pack enough 'punch'...

01-03-2012
trendsetter

Well, if this was any other designer I would simply label it as ugly, not interesting and move on. But this is Balenciaga, seeing what this guy did 5 years ago this is just sad. The colors look dated, the prints are absoluteley hideous and dont get me started on the styling. We all know this guy has talent and while I was able to see previous collections as 'risk-taking' this is just plain ugly. Worst thing is probably that everyone's going to praise it just because its Ghesquire. Any small designer in Paris would go bankcrupt after a collection like this.

01-03-2012
front row

What a boring collection... Really almost fell asleep.

01-03-2012
front row

i dont know but i actually like this.
haven't liked Balenciaga for such a long time.

01-03-2012
backstage pass

The more I look at the second half of the collection, the more sporty it becomes. I'm looking forward to studying those sweatshirt prints more closely. On one a pyramid and a unicorn? To think straight 80's here may not be the whole of the story.

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

those pants I wouldn't even call them futuristic, they're just plain ugly:p

01-03-2012
V.I.P.

Are you kidding me?
This collection looks really, really Cheap

Hell on Heels

i HATE the lame'-metallic stuff, too literally 80s and trash for it's own sake, as well as the faux metal tshirt prints, but the coats, jackets and skirts are to die for. so im split about this.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, balenciaga, f or w, paris