How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-02-2013
backstage pass

It's cool et edge. I like it, you can't find any mistake here. Every elements is cool and edgy. He play it well and safe. As a debut, you can't really say anything bad about his collection.
BUT, the legacy of Nicolas is totally vanished. The Balenciaga we've seen has now become a commercial house now ( as they want ! ). For me, Nicolas has done something so innovative and experimental among all the fashion labels out there. And that's what Fashion is missing right now and that's what Balenciaga is about. I personally don't think he can do it. As the direction they are taking now, I think he will be doing fine.

28-02-2013
windowshopping

I think its important to acknowledge that both Wang and Ghesquière referenced the Balenciaga archives, meaning there will be similarities in their work.

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

Full Show

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

Can we remember that Alexander has a a whole team behind team him to execute his ideas? I wasn't entirely shocked it would be great. Alexander Wang's strong suit has always been branding. Like that article said, he did a lot of research.

I'm just frustrated with the 'half full' opinions. For a debut collection, it's appropriate and effective to go back to basics (e.g. Celine, Dior) so the point of it being too referential and simple is invalid. Actually Alexander Wang is in the details of this collection in particular the hardware like the large chains on the bag, knot bracelets, and fabrics like the cracked leather.

My prediction is we'll see more of these Wang-like details in future collections which lends its hands to making Balenciaga more modern. And what grungy and downtowner is to his own line, is what refined and sophisticated will be to Balenciaga.

tfs star

I'm not exactly an Alexander Wang fan, but this is one of the best collections I've ever seen in a while!

28-02-2013
backstage pass

pretty, but nothing new

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

By far the best collection he has ever produced. I was keeping my expectations very low for this one, because even though I loved his NY show, he never really wowed me before. But he really did here. The coats in the beginning had a great construction and silhouette. The monochromatic looks are super sophisticated and sharp, with a touch of couture even. But his work with texture on the final looks made this collection a winner. He can really put an interesting spin on fabrics. The collection is pure Balenciaga DNA but an incredible ejection of edge. It's modern and strong but with a intelligent touch of finesse.

True may be, it is still long from Ghesquière's past glory, but Wang certainly exceeded expectations and based on the first test, scored an A.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathewthew View Post
It's cool et edge. I like it, you can't find any mistake here. Every elements is cool and edgy. He play it well and safe. As a debut, you can't really say anything bad about his collection.
BUT, the legacy of Nicolas is totally vanished. The Balenciaga we've seen has now become a commercial house now ( as they want ! ). For me, Nicolas has done something so innovative and experimental among all the fashion labels out there. And that's what Fashion is missing right now and that's what Balenciaga is about. I personally don't think he can do it. As the direction they are taking now, I think he will be doing fine.
while we can celebrate his artistic direction, was the house happy with the profits they were making on his clothing? Probably not. The decision to hire Wang was to bring a sense of commericial appeal to the brand. I don't think Nicolas' legacy is what's important here, yet I don't think Alex or Balencaiaga is trying to wipe that away. While he was a huge part of the brand he is not the face of Balenciaga, Cristobal is. Nicolas even knew that as the WWD article states Alex was looking into the archives and seeing where Nicolas was referencing. If anything this collection is respecting both Nicolas and Cristobal.

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

I ADORE those crackled and marbled pieces! (Except for those puffy ones at the end.)

28-02-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREVOFASHIONISTO View Post
while we can celebrate his artistic direction, was the house happy with the profits they were making on his clothing? Probably not. The decision to hire Wang was to bring a sense of commericial appeal to the brand. I don't think Nicolas' legacy is what's important here, yet I don't think Alex or Balencaiaga is trying to wipe that away. While he was a huge part of the brand he is not the face of Balenciaga, Cristobal is. Nicolas even knew that as the WWD article states Alex was looking into the archives and seeing where Nicolas was referencing. If anything this collection is respecting both Nicolas and Cristobal.
I know exactly the reason of Hiring Wang. As I said the collection is perfect for what they want and expect. I know sales is important. I'm just feeling sad to there's no place in this fashion world for experimental and innovation. We are all about branding and commercially success.

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

Fantastic collection. I'm in love with so many pieces here and needless to say I've gained a new respect for Alexander. I was hoping for some color but regardless this is an impressive debut.

28-02-2013
tfs star

I don't think there is anything wrong with this collection - for the very least, this should be able to translate seamlessly from runway to retail, which Nicolas' collections hardly ever did (It's indeed true that the collection often times didn't appear like a cohesive 'whole', with a lot of rather bland, commercial takes on certain ideas from the runway). Let's see what else he can bring to the table after playing out the archival-Balenciaga card...

28-02-2013
rising star

I am in a dilemma here! I am still reeling over Nicholas G's exit but I can't hide my love for this collection. I am genuinely over whelmed. Maybe its because I had very low expectations in the first place but for a debut collection, this is amazing. The structure, the materials, the subtle looking but very delicate embroidery are simply wonderful. I also loved the presentation and you could definitely see a nice continuation with the modern aesthetic of the house. I just hope it doesn't get any more commercial than this.

28-02-2013
fashion insider

I've never been much of a Wang fan but this is definitely a solid debut! It's been a while since I've seen anything this good from the house of Balenciaga. It's elegant, cool, and very relevant to modern women.

fashion insider

If PPR's goal was to take Balenciaga in a more commercial direction, then Wang succeeded. You can't deny that Wang KNOWS how to do that. Which makes those marble print treatments so wrong for this debut.

TWITTER:
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, balenciaga, f or w, paris