How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-02-2013
backstage pass

This collection isn't good at all. Nor is it hideous. It's just extremely stale and unexciting. When I looked to Nicolas' collections I was always wowed by the way he took the house codes and distorted them into amazing modern day clothes. This isn't what I'm seeing here, what Alexander Wang put out is a series of archival looks in new fabrics. (Isn't there already Balenciaga.Edition for that?) I really don't want to some like the people who continue to whine over Raf's Dior but I don't know. The thing is for Raf's Dior he took the house codes and immediately made them is own. He introduced a new concept for the brand and mapped out what he's going to do from the first collection. Already you can tell what the new Dior look is (the bar suit, dresses over pants, ect.) I can see what people are liking in this but to be honest this is just a big snoozefest for me.

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathewthew View Post
It's cool et edge. I like it, you can't find any mistake here. Every elements is cool and edgy. He play it well and safe. As a debut, you can't really say anything bad about his collection.
BUT, the legacy of Nicolas is totally vanished. The Balenciaga we've seen has now become a commercial house now ( as they want ! ). For me, Nicolas has done something so innovative and experimental among all the fashion labels out there. And that's what Fashion is missing right now and that's what Balenciaga is about. I personally don't think he can do it. As the direction they are taking now, I think he will be doing fine.
Why shouldn't restraint/ minimalism be praised too? Also by the way, Cristobal Balenciaga is the house known for construction. The thing is if Alexander Wang decided to be "innovative and experiment" then what people will complain about is changing Balenciaga entirely and possibly being too similar to his line. There's a time and place for everything and Wang was smart to showcase control.

Last edited by emailme.; 28-02-2013 at 08:34 PM.
28-02-2013
V.I.P.

backstage pass

I opened this thread not expecting a whole lot (like everyone else) but I'll be damned, this is quite good! I love those marble pieces (especially the t-strap shoes) and the silhouettes are to die for. What didn't work for me was the color palette, Alex has been doing black, white and grey collections for his own label for the past few seasons and I'm hoping he'll inject some color into his future balenciaga collections I also hated those high waisted pleated pants. They looked nice in thumbnails but then I opened them up still not bad for a first collection for one of the biggest houses in fashion!

front row

I think the reason people love it so much isn't because of the clothes, but because their expectations were so low that this was much higher. I doubt they'd be too impressed if Nicolas did this.

01-03-2013
MON
V.I.P.

I had to double check if this was really made by Alexander Wang.. because this is really beautiful! His past few collections for his own label were tacky but this is 100% polished chic! He sure did deliver and I`m really in love with this collection! The whites look elegant and the blacks looked really really good!

I was doubting him and his capabilities for Balenciaga at first but now, I`m really excited for what`s there to come!

Well I hope the color palette for the next seasons are something out of the usual Wang (Gray, black and white)

Last edited by MON; 01-03-2013 at 02:57 AM.
01-03-2013
tfs star

Not a fan of Wang's own NYC line but I have to admit this was a competent first effort for the house. It really surpassed all my expectations. I don't see a defining piece though or a look that will be truly ubiquitous for editorials/press, etc. It also makes me wonder what will be chosen for the ads.

V.I.P.

by Balenciaga's standard (not Alexander Wang's standard) - both names mean brands, not the people behind... - Balenciaga's collections since 2008 has been lackluster. And Alexander Wang changed nothing.

Agree with someone earlier that people like it because they measure it by Alexander Wang's standard (again, the brand).

The exciting early/mid 2000s' Balenciaga is gone.

01-03-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post

Agree with someone earlier that people like it because they measure it by Alexander Wang's standard (again, the brand).
I think people like it because by any standard the clothes are beautiful.

01-03-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
by Balenciaga's standard (not Alexander Wang's standard) - both names mean brands, not the people behind... - Balenciaga's collections since 2008 has been lackluster. And Alexander Wang changed nothing.

The exciting early/mid 2000s' Balenciaga is gone.
I noticed the same, mostly in the cut of his clothes - you suddenly didn't find that perfectly flattering, leg-elongating pant he used to have anymore, most of the volumes he became known for towards his later work seemed overwhelming and rather challenging to pull off... To my understanding, part of the appeal was in the restraint and the pragmatism of his cutting.

Knowing that you bought into the key pieces that Ghesquière designed during these days, I would be rather interested to hear whom you turned to when his collections obviously turned towards this other direction.

01-03-2013
rising star

Good job,Wang!

tfs star

whether it was extremely inspired by Nicolas' first collections or not, it doesn't stop the collection from being absolutely brilliant (except those hideous 4 last jackets), i'm more than impressed with wang's job since the past few seasons i hadn't really like much what he had done in his own label, so my expectations weren't really high, this was a really nice surprise, absolutely nice! the colors, shapes and patters are modern and very well executed, with the details in the accesories, shoes and those little bows, love them!

Last edited by paz2992; 01-03-2013 at 11:21 AM.
01-03-2013
Once King

It's not what I wanted but I like it. Giving him mad credit for that. Now if Wang would have drawn up some better footwear (get rid of the last few furtastrophe looks while he's at it.)

01-03-2013
V.I.P.

It's not horrible, but it's not brilliant. It's evident he played with the codes of the house, which can be seen in the fabrications of the tops and the silhouettes/play on volume, but it's quite safe. Whoever mentioned Ghesquieres early collections for the house nailed it because this reminds me a bit of that. Now, the marble pieces are somewhat cool, but they just seem......idk, not appealing. One of the details I loved was that the trousers had like a leather silver rope tie that tied the trousers. Idk, I thought that was a nice, subtle touch. Those marble-like fur pieces were cool and those gawky, but brilliant leather pants were strong, imo.

V.I.P.

Impressive start for AW. I really like it strongly, he managed to design a beautiful and true-to-heritage collection.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, balenciaga, f or w, paris