How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-03-2013
backstage pass

LOVED IT. The jackets are glorious.

01-03-2013
backstage pass

Wow.. so impressed

01-03-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
I think the reason people love it so much isn't because of the clothes, but because their expectations were so low that this was much higher. I doubt they'd be too impressed if Nicolas did this.
This statement is partly true for me, but only partly. I did have low expectations for Wang coming into this thread, but my expectations for Ghesquiere would have been even lower. I still think this is an improvement in comparison to what Ghesquiere had been putting out lately.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailme. View Post
Why shouldn't restraint/ minimalism be praised too? Also by the way, Cristobal Balenciaga is the house known for construction. The thing is if Alexander Wang decided to be "innovative and experiment" then what people will complain about is changing Balenciaga entirely and possibly being too similar to his line. There's a time and place for everything and Wang was smart to showcase control.
I never say he did a bad job here, he's doing a really good work for what they want and expect. It's less exciting than before..
and I don't think he's own brand is too innovative and experimental...
It's a nice and cool collection in every aspect, and I should put it this way it's a really easy collection, which I like it but I don't feel the excitement anymore.

V.I.P.

I literally yawned while looking at this and took it as a sign... Some of the dresses are nice, although I feel like I've seen all of the jackets a hundred times before.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
I noticed the same, mostly in the cut of his clothes - you suddenly didn't find that perfectly flattering, leg-elongating pant he used to have anymore, most of the volumes he became known for towards his later work seemed overwhelming and rather challenging to pull off... To my understanding, part of the appeal was in the restraint and the pragmatism of his cutting.

Knowing that you bought into the key pieces that Ghesquière designed during these days, I would be rather interested to hear whom you turned to when his collections obviously turned towards this other direction.
Tricot, I'm trying to find out myself
My work wardrobe is pretty boring lately. But i did add some made to measure suits.
For fun, you'll be happy to hear that I added Sacai to my closet
In the mean time, I'm wearing my old Balenciaga pieces to bits. It's amazing how "current" those pieces are.
i.e. after Alexander McQueen is no longer McQueen and Balenciaga is no longer Balenciaga, I have not found a brand I love...yet

01-03-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine View Post
Tricot, I'm trying to find out myself
My work wardrobe is pretty boring lately. But i did add some made to measure suits.
For fun, you'll be happy to hear that I added Sacai to my closet
In the mean time, I'm wearing my old Balenciaga pieces to bits. It's amazing how "current" those pieces are.
i.e. after Alexander McQueen is no longer McQueen and Balenciaga is no longer Balenciaga, I have not found a brand I love...yet
I can imagine Sacai looks good on you, it takes a woman with a small sholder frame to pull off a lot of her designs, at least that's the impression from what I've seen of her's in person.

I suppose you might be able to have luck with Slimane's new Saint Laurent tailoring, granted they go down as low as you may need in size, but based on your preference for tailored, cleaned-up shapes, I could very well see you pulling a suit off... if not for Saint Laurent's, how about Thom Browne otherwise?

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

Can anyone post review from Cathy and Suzy please?

03-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhuq View Post
This collection isn't good at all. Nor is it hideous. It's just extremely stale and unexciting. When I looked to Nicolas' collections I was always wowed by the way he took the house codes and distorted them into amazing modern day clothes. This isn't what I'm seeing here, what Alexander Wang put out is a series of archival looks in new fabrics. (Isn't there already Balenciaga.Edition for that?) I really don't want to some like the people who continue to whine over Raf's Dior but I don't know. The thing is for Raf's Dior he took the house codes and immediately made them is own. He introduced a new concept for the brand and mapped out what he's going to do from the first collection. Already you can tell what the new Dior look is (the bar suit, dresses over pants, ect.) I can see what people are liking in this but to be honest this is just a big snoozefest for me.
I agree this is extremely stale and unexciting. Reheated leftovers...

V.I.P.

I feel cheated! like if I just have seen one ****ing look.

And take note Wang, next time please comb your hair if you don't want to look like a beggar.

Power to the 99%

this is a surprisingly creditable collection--my expectations have been exceeded.

not about to call the switch a good decision, but this house anyway isn't going down the drain.

07-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
this is a surprisingly creditable collection--my expectations have been exceeded.

not about to call the switch a good decision, but this house anyway isn't going down the drain.
I have to agree with everything you said, I didn't know what to expect but I'm actually surprised of how good it is.

07-03-2013
front row

Surprisingly good. I just hope he doesn't get stuck in black and white for every freaking season.

backstage pass

This collection proves it for me-- that Wang is the reigning Pop Queen of high fashion. And that's exactly what the bosses are wanting: Designs that are right on trend accessible with just enough expensive touches (the crackled leather is admittedly all kinds of amazingness) to separate it from the rest of the trendy horde and justify the high pricetag, all backed by an overly-charming, effervescent and unbelievably popular individual and a fabled and highly coveted label. This is the definition of money in the bank.

08-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
This collection proves it for me-- that Wang is the reigning Pop Queen of high fashion. And that's exactly what the bosses are wanting: Designs that are right on trend accessible with just enough expensive touches (the crackled leather is admittedly all kinds of amazingness) to separate it from the rest of the trendy horde and justify the high pricetag, all backed by an overly-charming, effervescent and unbelievably popular individual and a fabled and highly coveted label. This is the definition of money in the bank.
I agree! But I've learned that they're actually painted knits and not leather! (according to NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/fa...week.html?_r=0 )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, balenciaga, f or w, paris