How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-05-2013
V.I.P.

jeanclaude, love your opinion about that collection!

22-05-2013
V.I.P.

Nicholas made impeccable pants, here the quality looks cheap, the cut is poor, you can see. While his initial collection for Balenciaga was sub standard but not bad, now we are starting to see the real Alexander Wang for Balenciaga, essentially poorly tailored knock offs of what Helmut Lang was doing in the early 2000s. My complaint here is the quality looks very cheap. Some of the looks are clearly influenced by NG , but here rendered in black or white in awkward fits and cheap fabrics.

22-05-2013
V.I.P.

^I don't think Alex is in there sewing pants It is probably the same design team sewing the garments. The fabric doesn't look expensive but this is a capsule collection and it is evident they are cutting back on expenses here.

22-05-2013
V.I.P.

Obviously, he is not personally stitching it , but the fabric selection and the cutting is AW's hand, I can spot it. I have a pair of NG Balenciaga pants from 2007, there are no weird creases or gaps in the crotch area, and the fabric is of impeccable quality, I cannot say the same for the pants presented here.

22-05-2013
Stitch:the Hand

should we really be surprised by this? i mean wasn't this the point of getting wang in the first place because they have more commercial intentions? seems this is precisely what they were talking about.

22-05-2013
front row

I have to agree with you on this. I don't know about women's pants from the old Balenciga, but I do have several pairs of pants (both Jeans and dress pants) from Balencagia when NG was still the designer. Those are the best pants I've ever own! The fitting is so great. They really help to shape up your lower body, truly magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco54 View Post
Obviously, he is not personally stitching it , but the fabric selection and the cutting is AW's hand, I can spot it. I have a pair of NG Balenciaga pants from 2007, there are no weird creases or gaps in the crotch area, and the fabric is of impeccable quality, I cannot say the same for the pants presented here.

22-05-2013
fashion icon

What was this collection for? supposed to be cruise or what?

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haoshcn View Post
I have to agree with you on this. I don't know about women's pants from the old Balenciga, but I do have several pairs of pants (both Jeans and dress pants) from Balencagia when NG was still the designer. Those are the best pants I've ever own! The fitting is so great. They really help to shape up your lower body, truly magic.
I own a pair of black boot cut pants from Balenciaga and you are right , NG's pants are magical when you put them on
Towards the end of his tenure, NG focused more on dresses than pants, but the pants he produced circa 1999-2007 were stunning.

Last edited by disco54; 23-05-2013 at 03:31 AM.
23-05-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle_gb View Post
What was this collection for? supposed to be cruise or what?
not a resort, it's a capsule collection, which means "we gonna archive what Nicolas did and make some money with that cuz how can we just let it go, too wasted. besides how could we make sure you gonna remember who the hell this Ni-co-las is after next year, you probably only scream oh I love youuuu Alexander!! you ARE a GENIUS, then it's even less possible to get rid of those fabrics and left pieces Nick made and purchased with higher price as they can be" collection.

23-05-2013
fashion insider

A terrible Zara collection inspired by what Ghesquière did at Balenciaga... SAD, DISGUSTING and PATHETIC.

23-05-2013
backstage pass

^^^ What were you expecting? It's Alexander Wang at the helm.

I think it is what it is: commercial, trendy, instantly accessible designs with a coveted label and meant to sell. I'm sure as much as many here are despising this, investors are very happy. This new Balenciaga will be a hit with the trendy, fashion-obsessed, blogger types, or just trendy types in general: It's pure generic "fashion" with no distinct style. Those youth-obsessed of-the-moment leathers with the Wang trademark chunky zippers will appeal to many, and the easy-to-wear dresses and separates will be easier to move than Ghesquiere's inventive, innovative cuts that are hard to understand and harder to wear for the masses. Wang's makeover is "cute" and "young"-- and unfortunately, that's the state of high fashion: The American aesthetic of cute sportswear proves to be a success and is taking over these prestigious European houses. I guess the power of Sex and the City dressing is here to stay, unfortunately.

Say what you will about Hedi's designs for SL, but his designs never come off as throwaway or as mass-market looking as this. (Sorry-- had to throw in my Hedi support after seeing this!)

23-05-2013
trendsetter

Uhm, I know you guys love to hate on Wang but they used to do this line under Nicholas as well and it was just as derivative and boring as this.

http://www.fashionising.com/lookbook...ook-35860.html

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejarc View Post
Uhm, I know you guys love to hate on Wang but they used to do this line under Nicholas as well and it was just as derivative and boring as this.

http://www.fashionising.com/lookbook...ook-35860.html
Yes, that´s true! But now this is more obvious than before. I feel more than ever that they are making a transition from avant-garde, to trendy fast-fashion. And it is a pity they are killing the innovation in favour of mass market.

23-05-2013
V.I.P.

That capsule collection is still heads and shoulders above what that one is...

That yellow biker jacket on Liu Wen is hot.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander wang, balenciaga, capsule, collection, f or w, fall or winter