Balenciaga F/W 2017.18 Paris - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniOrtega View Post
Not as good as Spring '17 but still nice! I'm starting to like his whole shoe-tights idea! The couture-like section at the end is definitely its highlight and saving grace!
I love the shoe-tights idea... it's sick!;-)

05-03-2017
backstage pass

His use of Color blocking is probably nothing that new but it's very likely the best amongst every single designer in my recent memory, how cold, bold, irrelevant to the corresponding season and hence yet so surprising they are.

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

yawn yawn

pretentious. can't wait for this vetements trend to be over. even the kartrashians are wearing it now.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
I actually like parts of it. It's nothing new or groundbreaking, but sometimes it looks quite fresh. Some looks are just bad or not very interesting tho... But it's sort of cool in a very superficial way (he has no deep as a creator, so that's why; he's really basic).

It's like a very non-intelligent person started playing with Balenciaga's legacy and didn't even reinterpret it that much, just changed the fabric, make it look 'bad done' or just more poor, or just style the dress it with a very big bag or fluor shoes... Very silly but sort of works.

Demna is not a great designer and there aren't nice design details, but as a whole I find it playful somehow.

Love the setting.
Agree 100%. Their "reinterpretation" on those archival pieces are shallow at best.

This is actually better than what I was expecting, and I do sort of hate myself for liking parts of it lol. The tights over shoe trick needs to end very quickly.

My favorite part of the show was the carpet! I would actually love to own a Balenciaga printed carpet in my future home .

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

vetements should stick to vetements imo - streetwear is more their thing.

sure; i will concede that there are nice pieces here and there.

but a lot of this looks yanked and frozen - or very very old fashioned.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged

05-03-2017
front row

Love those wing mirror bags. lol

Vogue.com

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

Yikes, what a depressing nightmare this is.

05-03-2017
backstage pass

It's okay, much better than last season. It's clear that Demna's dipping into the archives since end section actually looks like vintage Balenciaga with different fabrics. It's pretty solid on the surface but it's so derivitive and sloppy that it looks like a cheap knockoff rather than actual Balenciaga.

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

Demna, was definitly in the Balenciaga archives this season. It's better than his last, I saw quite a few looks that were modern and I believe were actually Balenciga. However, I'm still exactly not sold. I always thought the fascination was a tad bit overblown. Like fashion was craving for the next big thing and I think Demna kind of road the wave.

Last edited by TheoG; 05-03-2017 at 01:56 PM.
05-03-2017
God Save McQueen

Vogue lied to me. They used the one good gown, the black one with the bow, as their thumbnail for the collection and I actually had hopes for the collection.

The dresses at the end are not the worst thing in the world, but it just seems sad and uninspired. Like, lets take the archives and distort the proportions. Just like everything Demna seems to do.

I just don't understand why he is so repetitive and can't create multiple types of silhouettes. he obviously liked that jacket fastened to the side but why does he have to do that same silhouette for every look in different fabrics and colors? Is there no other way he can play with the jacket this season? Does he just do it one way for a season in every way imaginable and move on next season? Same for the floral dresses. Bleh

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

The expectations with this guy are so low that when he present this, while looking vaguely respectful to the house, is still a shallow effort. And his way of presenting it, so cynical and with this muted atmosphere, heightens how purposefully tacky his clothes are. This guy needs to go real quick!

05-03-2017
backstage pass

^ Agree on the presentation of it. The dour mood around each of his runway shows really does kill a lot of any potential enjoyment I could get from his fashion.

I know the world is very dark right now but does he really have to inject all that cynicism into his runway shows?

05-03-2017
tfs star

The ladies of Golden Girls wore better emsembles and had better prints on their walls. Demna and Lotta's "ideas" are just utterly tired and most times hideous - whoever develops their prints is a sick individual. Also I am guessing the white gown on Sarah Fraser in look #44 is supposed to be decorated with tulips, but it looks like the dress is covered in tampons...

What a sad way to mark 100 years of the great house Cristobal created.

fashion insider

The last 10 looks or so are actually shows promise but the execution is lacklustre

06-03-2017
tfs star

I actually like the beginning of the show. It is nice to see him dive deep into the archive but he's not as skillful and it shows in this work. Had the gowns at the end been better executed and designed better, then it would seal the deal. The prints are giving me headache at this point. I want to know what his collection will look like under hands of other stylist.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balenciaga, f or w, paris