Balenciaga F/W 2017.18 Paris - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

Balenciaga F/W 2017.18 Paris

vogue

V.I.P.

vogue

V.I.P.

vogue

V.I.P.

vogue

V.I.P.

I actually like parts of it. It's nothing new or groundbreaking, but sometimes it looks quite fresh. Some looks are just bad or not very interesting tho... But it's sort of cool in a very superficial way (he has no deep as a creator, so that's why; he's really basic).

It's like a very non-intelligent person started playing with Balenciaga's legacy and didn't even reinterpret it that much, just changed the fabric, make it look 'bad done' or just more poor, or just style the dress it with a very big bag or fluor shoes... Very silly but sort of works.

Demna is not a great designer and there aren't nice design details, but as a whole I find it playful somehow.

Love the setting.

Last edited by Creative; 05-03-2017 at 07:01 AM.

05-03-2017
fashion elite

Decent collection...
The cast is great and i love the overall allure of it but this does nothing to me.
I find his take on "le porté" kinda old right now because, there aren't that many ways to wear a coat or a jacket and while it worked for his first collection, it has a real "been there, done that" feel to it.
It's a very inoffensive collection that brings nothing to the table but that will confirm his selling power.

For some reason, this feels much more Margiela than Balenciaga...
This is the closest to their very first Vetements collection.
The rubber car carpet skirts could have been from Margiela.

About the end. I like the archival pieces and the idea of matching bag (the ostrich feather look is kinda glorious) but it's not that exciting. Nicolas started the Edition line in 2005 and this feels like a continuation of this. The only difference is that the Edition line made sense in a way that it really showed how relevant classic Balenciaga clothes were. This is just great to look at/photograph or wear to the RC but it doesn't say that much..

I really like the bags and the knitwear. I might consider buying the legging-boot from SS17. They could work with that huge red sweater.

People will rave about how extraordinary it is when in fact, there's nothing to rave about. But, people tend to have short memory today...

05-03-2017
scenester

I'm not sure if what I'm gonna say is right but I quite liked it ¿¿??? nothing innovative and not amazing details, but as a hole it wasn't bad

I mean, seems Demna finally got a look at Cristobal Balenciaga's archives, and that always makes me happy because really, this is an amazing house to work for and there's a lot ideas to pick up from Cristobal. I loved look 44, where the model was holding a clutch with the numer 47 on it, a direct reference from Cristobal shows, where the models holded the number of the look

Anyway I was hoping something new regarding shoes..

And srsly, does Lotta have to walk in every single show? boring..

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

It's better than previous efforts. It's still quite somber and dour, but at least there's things to like here - namely, the chunky knitwear and the last 4 gowns. Not that bad, really.

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

It starts off quite nicely, up until around the re-styled duffle coat, and then it veers off into typical "Demna" territory again, then sort of comes around again towards the end (it's so stupid, but I really like the feather dress and want to see how it's used in edits).

Overall better than last season. His Balenciaga is all clever styling tricks to me, I have no desire to analyse design, cohesion and reference points when looking at the collections.

05-03-2017
V.I.P.

None of this is innovative, and none of it is desirable.

This style of design may have worked for Vêtements, but I don't think it's going to fly at Balenciaga. They will lose their celebrity clientele if this keeps on.

05-03-2017
backstage pass

To me this collection doesn't make any sense. It's just about clothes, really boring and sad clothes. They've been taking designing too seriously. And I don't know what to think about the couture part, it's like a joke to me. Demna shouldn't have done that since he has no skills and at the end of the day this looks so poorly made and designed.
The best look of the show was the Julia Nobis' one. It's clean, simple and it doesn't look 'ironic' in a Demna's exhausting and dead-serious way.

05-03-2017
fashion elite

Those archival pieces need to go. They don't look well-made at all. Nicolas and his team reproduced Cristobal's work, too, but in their hands, it looked just as good as the original. With Demna, it just looks like designs by designers with less-than-perfect dressmaking skills.

05-03-2017
fashion elite

Those archival pieces at the end are acutally Couture. So this is Balenciaga "Original" Couture, done in a "Couture" way for today. THis is basically the same as Balenciaga edition but with a more pretentious marketing around it.

05-03-2017
backstage pass

for how long he is gonna keep using those masculine oversize silhouette and grandma feeling vintage floral print.....
but i like those gowns, not too old at least

05-03-2017
front row

Not as good as Spring '17 but still nice! I'm starting to like his whole shoe-tights idea! The couture-like section at the end is definitely its highlight and saving grace!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
balenciaga, f or w, paris