How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-11-2012
etre soi-meme

alexander wang is a real BAD idea @balenciaga

08-11-2012
etre soi-meme

i could also see a real departure of style from that NG direction
with someone trully influenced by Balenciaga,
like Veronique Branquinho or Martin Grand

08-11-2012
Stitch:the Hand

branquinho would be interesting and she does have that level of sublime fluidity that cristobal was great at. she is of part of ghesquiere's generation and often got lumped together with him when in the early years. they definitely had certain elements in common in those early days which i much preferred of nicolas' stint.

somebody also mentioned getting bouchra jarrar back and i like that idea as well.

but that alexander wang rumour has to be a joke,right? when i heard that i couldn't help myself but to laugh at that ridiculousness. i fear a balenciaga consisting of oversized t'shirts and sweatpants. and while he has shown some tailoring,it certainly hasn't been worthy enough for a house and even a former designer that's known for its progressive constructivism. but perhaps that's the sign of PPR heads wanting to evolve balenciaga into a more commercial territory which of all those mentioned,he would be the more sellable. but i still feel like there needs to be a little more depth than doing high-end hanes.

Last edited by Scott; 08-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
08-11-2012
V.I.P.

I already said it before, but I think Brood's Serkan Sairier would be a great apporach to the house. He works greatly with cuts, prints and utilitarians, and that's what the Balenciaga maison is all about. Although I don't think he has a clear cut developed aesthetic. But I'd vote for one of the interns to take over, as well.

08-11-2012
V.I.P.

or how about someone unknown who is already designing at Balenciaga

08-11-2012
V.I.P.

There's a rumor about Theysken's being a candidate on fashionista.com

etre soi-meme

^ no, have mercy not Theyskens

Bouchra Jarrar? not sure Scott

08-11-2012
backstage pass

Oh my god if Theyskens makes a return to high fashion at Balenciaga I will be able to die a happy man. Plus he already knows how to make super expensive clothes like Balenciaga is used to churning out, he'd be perfect!

front row

I'd love to see Haider Ackermann at Balenciaga...That man is a genius at structure and tailoring.

08-11-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaultier_Bandit View Post
The owner of Ungaro and Schiaparelli better start courting him. He is a genious, and thats exactly what both of those houses need ! Too bad Balmain wasn't up for grabs.....he could have been genious. Or YSL/Dior! Oh the possibilities!
I heard a few whispers of Galliano going to Schiaparelli.

TWITTER:
09-11-2012
unspecified

The designer that follows Balenciaga may not make sense at first if they want to change the brand.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
11-11-2012
tfs star

At Balenciaga will be destined for Sir John Galliano!!!!!! (I think!)
All those meetings with Anna Wintour and other "heavy" fashion people, are signs (at least for me). I think Galliano isn't the most sellable one, like they want, but he's the one that can relate to Cristobal Balenciaga's work the best! And his aesthetics are perfect for Balenciaga old DNA, not the DNA that Nicolas Ghesquiere made throughout his 15 years at the house.

Some Like It Hot

^Nicolas' DNA was reinventing previous silhouettes from the archives, or at least his later collections for the house have been along those lines, re-energizing old prints, structures, cuts and technics used by the house.

I think Alexander Wang would be the incorrect choice for Balenciaga since Balenciaga is known for being an inventor and a visionary, both Cristobal and Nicolas encapsulated that perfectly, they were not someone who was easily influenced by others which is what Alexander is, I'm not denying his product is great nor wearable but they are not on the same level of greatness as what Balenciaga produce each season.

I think the only reliable replacement would be someone in house, I've grown tired of the same designers playing musical chairs at these historic houses, a breath of fresh air, a new aesthetic, a new face and some new blood is needed in times like this, only a few have dared currently to promote new talent to head designer and it has worked just look at Olivier at Balmain, his collections continue to excel at the same time as being commercially appealing.

Geometric Discharge

If Galliano is going anywhere (though using him to kick-start an old brand or continue a successful one would be a ridiculously enormous risk) it would be to Schiaparelli I believe, he has elements in his own designs that relate to hers, such as the bias cut, plus he has that sense of showmanship and magnificence about his designs.
I do not see him at Balenciaga, though, if he was given free reign, his vision would likely be extraordinary (I'd love to see him taking on Cristobal's volumes and cuts), I think Galliano's designs will always suit the opulent look of Dior more than the reclusive perfection of Balenciaga.

Someone said Francisco Costa, and I think he would do a very good modern Balenciaga, but I think he has become Calvin Klein Collection and I couldn't imagine him anywhere else.

14-11-2012
V.I.P.

Just when I thought I can sit still and this comes up! To be honest, as long as he is still designing I'll be fine. Balenciaga is nothing without Nicholas!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways