How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-11-2012
tfs star

They should just select someone from in house. Look how successful it has been for McQueen and Balmain.

19-11-2012
fashion insider

ugh... All of these changes lately are too much for me. Everything is changing at the same time in the industry (for better and worst) I guess it's a new era..?
I'm curious to know who they'll put at balenciaga, even more so knowing there's no "obvious choice at the moment".

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
They should just select someone from in house. Look how successful it has been for McQueen and Balmain.
but equally unsuccessful at Dior.

19-11-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivenchyHomme View Post
Maybe in sales they've been successful, but all I can see with Burton is a terribly desperate attempt at being as deep and original as Alexander McQueen, truly awful collections only shaded from critisism by the parasol of the legacy of the late designer.
Olivier Rousteing is doing some good things seeing as he is so young, but he is also only trying to squeeze out some more ideas from previously-done concepts... Rococo-grunge?
Frida Giannini was from in-house, an accessories designer, before she became creative director of Gucci, and how much originality is she providing fashion week?
Paolo Piccoli and Maria Grazia Chiuri were also accessories designers at the house before they turned Valentino into a broken record playing only notes of nude, ruffles and lace.

I find it quite clear that if a brand is only expected to cough up basic or uninspiring clothing to sell then an in-house designer is the way to go.
But it must be noted that none of these houses are trend-setters anymore, they appear to have had their time for trendsetting, is Balenciaga prepared to step down from the brand that the world copies to just another one of those terrible, terrible brands?
Cristobal Balenciaga would be spinning in his grave at the idea of his house producing standard rack clothing, indistinguishable from every other house.

19-11-2012
V.I.P.

Phoebe would be a no brainer! She isn't that capable but on the other hand, Kane would be really ideal! They need someone edgey like him. Some emerging London designer would be excellent. Mary Kantrouzou maybe?

19-11-2012
V.I.P.

Another person that I'd like to see in the helms is Cédric Charlier. He has that great balance between sportswear and craftmanship, besides his experience with luxury brands. I think they could make a successful partnership.

26-11-2012
V.I.P.

Guys, I don't know if this was already discussed here in the threads but this week here in Brazil there has been a whole speculation about Pedro Lourenço being appointed as the designer for Balenciaga. What do you guys think? I personally think it's an amazing idea, Pedro is young but he has his brand since he was 15 years old, and I also think his style is very similar to Ghesquiére's.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPedro View Post
Guys, I don't know if this was already discussed here in the threads but this week here in Brazil there has been a whole speculation about Pedro Lourenço being appointed as the designer for Balenciaga. What do you guys think? I personally think it's an amazing idea, Pedro is young but he has his brand since he was 15 years old, and I also think his style is very similar to Ghesquiére's.
I love this new rumor! I don't know about the possibilities, but I would love to see what he could do at Balenciaga.

26-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Yes! This is a rumor I can get behind for sure. I think this is a role that he could grow into beautifully.

27-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
That's a problem for me. I don't know his work but a quick glance at his last 2 collections on style.com shows similarities between him and Ghesquiere's most recent work for the house, which I thought were very ugly collections.

27-11-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Well, all that Pedro has done in his career was copying Ghesquiére so no thank you.

27-11-2012
backstage pass

that pedro fella has never had an original idea, it'd be ridiculous if he got the job

someone like rick owens would be quite exciting i think, but i doubt he'd go for it though

28-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrmartinho View Post
Well, all that Pedro has done in his career was copying Ghesquiére so no thank you.
I don't think Pedro copies Ghesquiere at all, if you look at his parents work you'll see that he stays true to his family style of designing clothes, and his parents have been doing fashion way longer than Nicholas.

Stitch:the Hand

oh dear that tired rhetoric that everything lies at the feet of almighty nicholas,again.

you guys do realize,that there was an actual existence at this house before nicholas arrived....that the legend that is cristobal paved a long road for many talents to be influenced by? not to mention,has an extensive archive that nicholas himself has conveniently borrowed from? to make it seem like everything he's done as inherently original is a truly naive to buy into. and also he did gain a reputation when the direction of the house changed(especially post Gucci Group and ultimately PPR)for borrowing or referencing other professionals himself in this industry. so to accuse one of copying him is an unfair statement to make.

28-11-2012
fashion insider

I think Balenciaga can do with or without an in-house designer. If they choose an in-house designer that's been working w/ Ghesquiere for years, they run the risk of a designer who'll most likely come up with clothes that have a Ghesquiere slant to it (see: Sarah/McQueen and/or Olivier/whatsisface from Balmain). But, if they choose somebody with no previous association w/ Balenciaga, then that somebody can easily say "Well, I'm more interested in Cristobals work and not Nicholas, so I'll go from there instead" (see: Raf/Dior).

Not like I care that much, but please, anybody but the accessory designers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways