How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

I'm actually quite excited about the news. Like everyone else I'm very skeptical about this working out in the long run, but I'm definitely excited to see what Wang can do at a big fashion house like Balenciaga. I think although many of us find him extremely overrated, one cannot deny he has managed to create buzz and trends and make his shows one of the highlights of NYFW for much longer than anyone would have guessed. He can put on a spectacle, keep us interested in his brand and design wearable and very saleable collections, therefore I can see why a company like PPR trusts him to be a good choice for Balenciaga.
Is he versatile or skilled enough for this job? Probably not, but I hope the team around him will do something about that. I really don't think he's the worst choice, I found the reports about Kane heading to Balenciaga much more frustrating, I'll be glad if it's Wang although there would have been many better suited candidates (I always thought Roksanda Ilincic would be good for the job at Balenciaga, or Jean-Pierre Braganza). I hope WWD isn't fooling us again with those news, I find them to no longer be the super reliable source they once were.

Last edited by Psylocke; 30-11-2012 at 01:39 AM.

30-11-2012
rising star

This is definitely a turning point in fashion - for the last 10 years all the big houses were also the ones who were creatively pushing things as opposed to the mid 80s to mid 90s, where young designers and small houses were the creative force . Now that commercial is the new black and fashion really has become more of a business than ever before, a commodity like any other, the decision to have Alexander Wang front Balenciaga makes complete sense.
Right now Fashion is not about vision or creative genius, not even about amazing clothes- it is about numbers . But- as sad as sounds, it also marks the beginning of a new cycle. because it'll make people react.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by donyan; 30-11-2012 at 02:17 AM.
30-11-2012
backstage pass

Very, very interesting. We'll see.............

30-11-2012
backstage pass

bye at this, that's all i have to say. one of my favourite house is in the hands of one of my least favourite designer's

V.I.P.

Wang is so wrong for Balenciaga. He's definitely not versatile enough for Paris.

His first collection will probably be more of an imitation of Nicholas work than Cristobal's...

I pray that Nicholas start's his own line or moves to another brand.

Last edited by lemeray; 30-11-2012 at 03:08 AM.
30-11-2012
fashion elite

I can't wait for his first collection and its reviews so I can see him twist in the wind.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donyan View Post
because it'll make people react.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm, you're on to something there.. it doesn't really get interesting until the climax and the need to rebel and break away from it. Hopefully.

V.I.P.

All I know his show for Balenciaga, will make Hedi Slimane's disasterous debut at YSL look like nothing. PPR should have taken someone who was inhouse, the way Balmain did. Alexander Wang is in NO WAY capable of producing the caliber of clothing Nicholas Ghesquire did.

30-11-2012
Hell on Heels

Purple confirmed it too, i guess every major fashion magazine has at this point.
What a travesty. Other than disliking the vast majority of his 'creations', they're often very poorly cut and designed. Obviously the materials and quality will be on a whole different level here (the few things from wang i own they got 'wasted' in such a short time), but still his creativeness and actual design talent won't be changing much, not in the short term.
i'm happy to know i can save money and spend them elsewhere, that's a about my only positive reaction to this

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Lorenzo and Jack would have been better. Oh well, all these just for my viewing pleasure so won't loose sleep over it! I mean this is Gucci all over. All the best Nicholas. Maybe schaperelli sud hire him!!
Posted via Mobile Device

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

...and Wang bang, no thank you ma'am!
Posted via Mobile Device

30-11-2012
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

I hope at this point..since I dont like wang or his designs...that Nicolas will have his own line...I was one of the customers who bought the exaggerated runway pieces he created..and I'm always on the hunt for vintage balenciaga..its just so sad...I doubt..highly doubt wang can even produce anything close..it will just be commercial...wang's line attracts wanabees..balenciaga attracts true fashion lovers...very different...i mean phillip Lim would have been a better choice IMO..
what a sad day

trendsetter

^^^ I was browsing magazine twitters for confirmation and it's hilarious how none of them (or anyone so far) extended any form of congrats, lol.

Blah... just makes me even MORE thankful about Jil Sander and Veronique Branquinho's timely comebacks.

30-11-2012
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbluejean View Post
^^^ I was browsing magazine twitters for confirmation and it's hilarious how none of them (or anyone so far) extended any form of congrats, lol.
lol i know right? Anybody with some fashion knowledge should be horrified by this, in my opinion. And, as somebody has said earlier in the thread, this makes the hedi slimane x ysl debut as the best thing ever happeend to fashion. i can't wait for his first collection and the reviews! tfs will implode that day

30-11-2012
fashion icon

This news literally ruined my day. I can't see Balenciaga ever being one of my favorite brands again in the future being under Alexander Wang. To me Balenciaga is way to iconic fashion house with too much of a history and Wang just isn't suitable for this brand. His designs have always been too mainstream and unoriginal for my taste and I doubt it's going to change any time soon.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways