How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-11-2012
army of lovers

I don't know? I'm sort of excited by this. It's great to see an Asian designer take over a storied Parisian house.

30-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque Marcel View Post
I don't know? I'm sort of excited by this. It's great to see an Asian designer take over a storied Parisian house.
I am 100% Asian/Chinese, but I hate this a lot! By no means Alexander Wang is a designer even remotely as talented as Nicolas Ghesquière. I don't care how many more handbags he will help Balenciaga to sell, his ready-to-wear and runway shows for Balenciaga will be ridiculously mediocre and predictable, that's for sure. This got to be the biggest joke in the Fashion world for 2012, well, maybe for the whole decade. Anna Wintour, we know you are the most powerful person in the whole world of fashion, but, seriously, please give us a break every once a while.

The Balenciaga store in LA is literally 5 minutes walk from where I work, I wish I can find someone to go with me and do a mini protest against this in front of their store.:p

Last edited by haoshcn; 30-11-2012 at 01:22 PM.
30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Confused why all reports are saying he is 'confirmed' before they start talking about their unnamed sources. Until Balenciaga release a statement, as far as I'm concerned it's still a rumour. It's a risky choice if true. I think Wang is good at what he does, but there's no precedent of him doing anything beyond his sporty aesthetic. Maybe he'll surprise us all, but I'm definitely on the fence.

30-11-2012
fashion elite

I'm so happy for him, he's one of my fav designers and he deserves all this success, go Alexander

30-11-2012
windowshopping

I love Alexander Wang as a designer. But I think my expectations for Balenciaga are way too high and I don't think he will satisfy them all.

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrail View Post
i'm not sure. i'm worried alex is digging his own grave. he is going to drive himself to exhaustion.

on a positive note, this could be good for models, seeing how loyal he is to this aesthetic. his model castings have always been one of my favorites.
I think Karl will be able to give him some helpful hints :p

windowshopping

oh, and by the way, who are people going to copy now?
*edited*

Last edited by ckgirlbr; 01-12-2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Unreliable source. Please refrain from posting contents from fashionindustryconfessions.
30-11-2012
V.I.P.

The one thing will delight be is you can be sure every pieces from the runway will go into production. Unfortunately the same can never be said for when Nicholas was at house of Balenciaga.

So it make every penny sense that Wang was selected first and foremost for his commercial appeal! With that, I can begin to accept PPR decision!

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

DO NOT WANT. I agree this has Anna all over it.

I have a few things from his T line but they are more for casual comfort but I've never been impressed by his main line. You don't wear Balenciaga for casual comfort you wear it to say "LOOK AT ME".

I agree that this will go the way of Ungaro.

30-11-2012
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrail View Post
i'm not sure. i'm worried alex is digging his own grave. he is going to drive himself to exhaustion.

on a positive note, this could be good for models, seeing how loyal he is to this aesthetic. his model castings have always been one of my favorites.
Why are we caring about models when there is a tragedy happening ?

I don't have a lot of problem with Wang that much, BUT it's just that I adore Ghesquière and his work and this feels like a definite step down. The way he worked was in a 3D that not a lot of designers work in. His sense of detail as amazing for me and this feels just like a huge downgrade. What were they thinking ?!

Truly heartbroken.

I hope Ghesquière starts his own label or gets offered a new job immediately. I am already suffering from the recent losses starting in 2004.

30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisima View Post
I love Alexander Wang as a designer. But I think my expectations for Balenciaga are way too high and I don't think he will satisfy them all.
This.
Wang isn't a bad designer by all means but Balenciaga? Really? I just don't think he's fit for Balenciaga. Period. It takes true vision and artistic craft to match Nicolas' work for the house.

Let's hope Wang makes us eat our words come F/W 2013 (or not )

30-11-2012
tailored

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisima View Post
THIS.

cristobal balenciaga was a couturier and alexander wang designs sportswear...
there is a level of detail and craftsmanship that people (including myself) have come to expect from balenciaga that isn't there with wang...
yes, balenciaga sells a ton of bags and shoes, but there was also the edition line, and pieces done for the red carpet...

i do wonder if he struck a similar deal as marc jacobs with lvmh...
did ppr invest in wang's own line?

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
Why are we caring about models when there is a tragedy happening ?

Truly heartbroken.

I hope Ghesquière starts his own label or gets offered a new job immediately. I am already suffering from the recent losses starting in 2004.
no, a tragedy would be if nicolas ghesquiere got hit by a bus.

i'm sad about his departure/replacement as well, but it's not the end of the world, so calm down

fashion insider

So they basically wanted someone (seemingly) like Ghesquiere, but a lot cheaper? Makes sense. Well, I am underwhelmed.

Last edited by Morphe; 30-11-2012 at 08:06 PM.
30-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphe View Post
So they basically wanted someone (seemingly) like Ghesquiere, but a lot cheaper? Makes sense. Well, I am underwhelmed.
I don't think they got that with Alex...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways