How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-11-2012
Hell on Heels

I literally said 'WHAT' out loud when reading the press release:

(not sure where it comes from, saw it on fb through a friend)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 155368_4769924048619_2120245381_n.jpeg (56.8 KB, 131 views)

05-11-2012
fashion icon

Oh hell no.

05-11-2012
fashion insider

I can't help but think of how he went back into Balenciaga's roots in his last collection. It was definitely one of my favourite collections from him.

tfs star

I can't even think of another designer for Balenciaga, what terrible news !

05-11-2012
scenester

the fashion world is slowly falling apart. In just a year there are so many changes within good and bad. In this case we have to account this new as a bad one because no one can do what Nicholas did for Balenciaga. );

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Terrible news.
I am shocked.

V.I.P.

This is Raf out of Jil Sander all over again, only 10x more shocking. Nicolas at Balenciaga seemed to be the most established job in fashion alongside Alber at Lanvin and Karl at Chanel. Every single season he delivers critically and commercially successful collections, created such a strong, recognizable and borderline iconic look for the brand. I just really can't see why he decided to leave (and I refuse to think he was fired). And I can't picture him in any other house, nor anyone else at Balenciaga.

Wow. This will keep us going for a while.

Last edited by Marc10; 05-11-2012 at 09:22 AM.
05-11-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

OMG

I read the news as I was in class and literally screamed "F*ck Me" !!. This is really unexpected and shocking, even if some of his latest collections haven't been what they used to be I can't imagine Balenciaga without Nicolas. I can't imagine fashion without him. And I'm certain there wasn't any selling problems. So why does he leaves so abruptly. That means he won't be involved in the pre-fall or fall collections right ??

God this news just ruined my day . Wondering how Anna W feels about that.

Well if you want to invest into something, I think it's the perfect time to look for some Ghesquière archives

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 05-11-2012 at 09:25 AM.
05-11-2012
backstage pass

It's from PPR. They do the PR for Balenciaga. It's on their site. This is so very shocking. I really do not understand this at all...

backstage pass

My happy Monday got officially ruined. I knew good Mondays didn't exist.
I seriously can't understand the reason why he would quit Balenciaga. 15 years of extremely captivating and reviving work.. and now it's over?

Stitch:the Hand

PPR is actually the shareholder of balenciaga.

it does make one wonder though if he's retiring altogether. it just seems so out of nowhere and there doesn't seem to be any indication there were issues within the company.

05-11-2012
fashion insider

As surprised as I am about this, I'm strangely unmoved by it. Though I am very excited about the change in general and waiting to see what happens next.

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

I wonder what he will do next. I can't imagine Ghesquire working for another label.

Last edited by mikel; 05-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.
05-11-2012
Hell on Heels

I know what PPR is
I just meant that I didn't know how to properly credit the image. This is very shocking, it's also weird cause after a few 'off' seasons resort + spring summer were just amazing. What is going on?

05-11-2012
fashion icon

I'm honestly shocked. Though Ghesquiere's collections are constantly copied on the runways, he's never really made any innovations as far as real women's dress goes. And I can't imagine his RTW is all that profitable. But I always thought the solution was in smarter product development, not a change of creative direction.

But maybe he's leaving of his own accord? Perhaps he's finally ready to move on? He's always said he had wanted to use his own name for a truly special project, perhaps that time has come? Or maybe everything just came to a head and no one involved was happy with the arrangement?

I believe the fashion industry can only honor Ghesquiere, despite that I haven't liked any of his collections since a few key assistants left his team. He not only reestablished Balenciaga as a creative and luxury market powerhouse but he established a new way of thinking about color, material, he is the king of retro-futurism, and he really made that language a part of the contemporary discussion in a major way. His contribution is immense.

I'd like to think PPR has a plan for all of this. Given the timing and lack of rumors surrounding this, it sounds like it was planned for and feels relatively amicable. My first reaction was "oh my god, who on earth could fill his shoes?" But then if you look around, if you really look, there are some options, the most obvious being some of those former assistants...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways