How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-12-2012
backstage pass

Ghesquière's copycat in charge of Balenciaga...makes sense.

I just feel sad that he will change the aesthethics of the company : the stores etc...

03-12-2012
fashion insider

^
He's no Hedi Slimane, who freakishly changed everything to do with YSL. And I don't really get the whole copycat thing either, from what i've seen Alexander's clothes really doesn't scream Balenciaga (Helmut Lang in my opinion).

The issue is obviously to do with the background he's come from with his designs. Although it's quite hilarious people didn't make any big deal that Christophe Lemaire jumps from Lacoste right into Hermes. I wouldn't even be surprised if there was big dissapointment with Marc Jacob's arrival as head designer of LV back in his hay days.

I can't quite get around to wether I can be REALLY excited about this...as Raf's and Hedi's presentations at Dior and YSL were a let down...but ofcourse things take time as well...

trendsetter

I believe Alexander Wang has the same cut+paste, street-meets-salon aesthetics; although not the same nuanced style.
It is also a landmark decision to have one of Chinese heritage take the reigns of a Paris house, here and now, in the new Chinese century. A bit like Obama in the presidency, really. American to boot. At least he has a chance to inject something new. If not, it may turn into another turnstile house like many others...

fashion insider

Tbh, I was saddened by the direction that Ghesquiere went in with Balenciaga, though his last collection was a nice surprise. I've always preferred the original Balenciaga DNA over the stuff Ghesquiere started doing. I'm kind of disappointed that they chose someone whose work is probably going to be a copy of Ghesquiere's, but I want to give him the benefit of doubt because no one else is. >.<

trendsetter

On a scale of 1 to 10 A.W. is a 7.5 because he just doesn't have enough of the experience, perhaps someone with greater talent could at age 28 but not him.

03-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by donyan View Post
Ok..PPR spent the last ten years building up an incredibly prestigious brand, arguably the most respected from a creative point of view.

Regardless of what they say, it can't have translated into sales, at least not the kind of sales they expected, ( otherwise, why change a formula that works?)

Neither Alexander McQueen nor YSL have sold that many clothes in the last few years if the rumours are believed, so now their strategy must be to capitalize on the amazing name of Balenciage with a product that is sure to sell and a Designer who will be hugely popular with the ever-so important Chinese market. It's actually just simple math and therefore not even as scandalous as it sounds. More than anything it's sad because it shows how fashion now works- it's about demographics, power, and product first and foremost. I suppose we just have to deal with it. The only power I personally have in all this is to vote with my wallet.
This is a very good point. Explains it all.

Mr. Magic

Quote:
PARIS — Lauding his “proven talent, modernity and individual and cosmopolitan vision of design,” the chief executive officer of Balenciaga has named Alexander Wang the brand’s new creative director, effective today.

Isabelle Guichot added that Wang would “embrace and enrich the unique heritage of the fashion house.”

Wang’s appointment confirms a report in WWD on Friday, Nov. 30, and marks a new chapter for Balenciaga, founded in 1919 and controlled since 2001 by luxury-and-sporting-goods conglomerate PPR.

“I am deeply honored to embark on this new role for a brand and house that I have such great admiration and respect for,” said Wang, who will also continue at the creative helm of his independently owned fashion house, established in 2005.

Commenting on the development, François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive officer of PPR, described Balenciaga as an “extraordinary fashion house” with “inexhaustible potential” and a “priceless heritage.

“Alexander Wang will use his creativity and his own research to reinterpret and immortalize the distinctive, modern and extremely innovative style imposed by Cristóbal Balenciaga,” Pinault added.

Wang succeeds Nicolas Ghesquière, who exited Balenciaga Friday after a stellar 15-year tenure.

The 28-year-old is expected to immediately begin work on Balenciaga’s fall-winter 2013 women’s collection, although Guichot told WWD the format in which it might be unveiled during Paris Fashion Week, scheduled for Feb. 26 to March 3, has yet to be decided.

“I don’t want to put him under unnecessary pressure, so we will have to figure how we want to present. We will figure out together the pace of next year,” Guichot said, noting that the pre-fall women’s collection is already finished and the fall-winter men’s collection also nearing completion. “It’s an important transition for the brand.”

For complete coverage, see Tuesday’s WWD.
wwd.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
04-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidwell View Post
I believe Alexander Wang has the same cut+paste, street-meets-salon aesthetics; although not the same nuanced style.
It is also a landmark decision to have one of Chinese heritage take the reigns of a Paris house, here and now, in the new Chinese century. A bit like Obama in the presidency, really. American to boot. At least he has a chance to inject something new. If not, it may turn into another turnstile house like many others...
I hope that's not the reason he was appointed, I mean, being of Chinese descent in order to boost up Balenciaga's business in China. If it is, that would be the most stupid decision there has ever been in the fashion business. God, this is just sad! Why did they choose him? Without Anna Wintour's support, he probably would have been nothing. Look at his runway collections up until maybe one or two seasons ago, and then think about this guy would become the designer for Balenciaga which has been literally associated with Nicholas Ghesquiere's superb vision and talent for so long, it's really depressing.

04-12-2012
rising star

MArgiela for H&M, Alexander Wang for Balenciaga...
It's amazing how fast fashion is changing and exclusivity disappearing. Everything is based on numbers and sales, on making it commercial and widely-known.

Everything has become so boring. It's so sad.

04-12-2012
backstage pass

Is the pre-fall and men's fall 2013 done by Nicolas or the team?
Posted via Mobile Device

04-12-2012
backstage pass

So what happens to Alexander Wang the brand? Will someone else take charge?

04-12-2012
front row

this is some blls#t. this is all so sudden.

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aynoray View Post
So what happens to Alexander Wang the brand? Will someone else take charge?
A quote form the PPR press release, posted on the previous page

Quote:
Alongside his new duties at Balenciaga, Alexander Wang will continue his activities with his own, independently-owned fashion house.

04-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Well, let's just hope he hires a decent design director and a stylist who can make this work for him. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise us?
Karl Templer styles his NY show, and I hope that he'll also style Balenciaga. Karl is one of the few stylists that rarely gets it wrong.

V.I.P.

Is the resort collection that was just finished, designed by Nicholas or in-house designers?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways