How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-11-2012
backstage pass

somebody plan my funeral, cuz i just die !!!!! Now i really know, the end of world beggins now, with this shoking news !!

05-11-2012
front row

The fashion world has indeed been in upsets all year but in my opinion this takes the cake. The only good thing that could come from this is him going to create his own label which I deeply hope he does. Good luck to whomever has to pick up after Ghesquiere at Balenciaga. He left some big shoes to fill.

05-11-2012
fashion icon

I'm blindsided right now. Holy hell. It goes without saying that Ghesquiere turned the Balenciaga brand into what it is now. I'm always gonna be supportive of change - change is good - but it is undobtedly sad to hear that. I hope Ghesquiere keeps expanding his legacy. Despite recent slips, his talent should not go wasted.

Now, I wonder who will substitute him as creative director? I believe it will be one of the interns, but if we're talking about my dream world where everything comes true, I would love to see Serkan Sarier for Balenciaga. His experience with prints and cuts should make him a strong contender. But hey.

05-11-2012
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulyss View Post
It always boils down to one thing and one thing only: money.

I'm going to guess Balenciaga was rolling in it the decade before the recession, because of both a prosperous economy and the mass popularity of their motorcycle purse. I don't think they're as successful now. Particularly since Celine has come on to the seen again and has taken a big chunk of the accessory/bag market.

On a side note, when I went to test out Florabotanica it was hidden in a back corner of Neiman Marcus with very little marketing; I had to hunt around for it.
I think it's even more successful now with an increasing level of stockists, most of which sell out of their Balenciaga stock incredibly quickly, their popularity continues to grow just as their number of stores has continued to grow this year.

He will be greatly missed and I don't envy the person who has to take the challenge of taking creative control over the brand, comparisons will be heavily made and I doubt they will be able to meet the exceptional standards Nicolas has executed at the house, some hit and miss at present but his previous collections will continue to outshine the bad.

I'm excited to see how this will play out, but I think whatever PPR do they need to keep their mouth shut until they have secured the new creative director - and quickly, the whole Dior saga was tiresome, so I think they aught to learn from LVMH's sham.

front row

This is shocking. I was honestly never expecting this. I'm not a massive fan of Ghesquiere tbh, but still. I'm extremely shocked by this.

05-11-2012
front row

Although I have to admit, the one good thing about this is that Kristen Stewart is probably not going to be the spokesperson much longer.

05-11-2012
fashion icon

^ Or maybe he left because he couldn't stand working with her

05-11-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAUU View Post
^ Or maybe he left because he couldn't stand working with her
He probably got fired for bringing her on as the spokesperson in the first place :p

05-11-2012
trendsetter

Very shocking news. The collections were magnificent. The clothes, the shoes, accessories! What's to become of Balenicaga?

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Eventhough I'm both sad (in a nostalgic way) and shocked, I can't say I'm devastated. His last few collections have been less than stellar and I think that if he wants to venture out on his own, then so be it. A lot of major changes have happened in the past two years, and while change is good, I can't say I'm thrilled with anything in Paris. I really hope they'll pick a yound, fresh-minded CR again like they did 15 years ago, and not the same old same old.

backstage pass

Wow, november 30th? worst birthday present ever He was one of the main reasons I got into fashion, and has always been one of the most creative minds out there, season to season. I can't imagine anyone replacing him unless it's someone who's worked closely with him, and I fear if that happens it will become a situation not unlike what happened with Alexander McQueen. The look will still be there somewhat, but it will be a watered down commercial approach to what the house once was in it's heyday.

I could see him starting his own line, so I guess it's only a matter of time before we move on to buying 'Nicholas Ghesquire'

front row

i blame kirsten stewart

05-11-2012
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty33r1b View Post
strangely I don't feel particularly sad about this. when Raf left Jil Sander it was like the world is exploding, but this just feels different. I'd suspect it was his sole decision to leave, maybe because of the stress that came with the job? it will be very interesting to see who they pick to succeed him, I'm already anxious to know

I feel the same.. not necessarily the Jil Sander part but the rest. Balenciaga will be fine, it has enough of a carved out identity to survive. Ghesquiere did a lot to attribute to that identity but it did get repetitive towards the end..

I hope he goes solo, I want to see him without brand limitations.. I think it could turn out pretty amazing

05-11-2012
Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago:) View Post
Paris has definitely lost one of its highlights for me
Same here, Balenciaga has always been one of my top shows of each season.

Really shocked by this one, I'll miss Nicolas so much. Hope he'll be getting something else, a namesake line perhaps...

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
He will be greatly missed and I don't envy the person who has to take the challenge of taking creative control over the brand
Agree. This has to be the most interesting exit since Tom Ford left the company. I sincerely hope that this is a positive move for him.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways