How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

YES

after his recent disasters, i'm just hoping that Balenciaga will be put into more able hands again.

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

I liked the SS2013 collection and the dance inspired resort collection for Balenciaga, but other than that I have not been all that enamored with the recent collections. Ghesquiere definitely made a significant contribution to the house and fashion, although that press release seemed complimentary of all the cogs except him, but he's been there since 1997 so I can see why either or both parties are ready to move on.

Also I am in the skeptical category when it comes to Balenciaga being a big money maker, maybe it holds its own as part of the PPR conglomerate but it seems to be more of an editorial darling than anything, and while Balenciaga is worn on the red carpet and the street, it is by the more adventuresome fashionistas, which may be good for "cool points" but I think that the muckety-mucks want there to be some accessory or scent that appeals to, if not the masses, a significant portion of the luxury buying market, and I am not sure if Balenciaga is adequately fulfilling that brief.

Last edited by agee; 05-11-2012 at 01:32 PM.
05-11-2012
fashion elite

I predict that PPR possibly wants Balenciaga to go back to a more traditional look that resembles Cristobal's feminine aesthetics a bit more based on that PR letter kind of like Dior has recently, at the same time I can see them funding Nicolas for a line all of his own.

05-11-2012
windowshopping

Either sales were down, something to do with his iffy hit or miss past collections, or internal politics led to parting of ways.

Even though some of his last collections were questionable, his influence was seen all over young designers and especially that horror called nyfw. Rodarte now needs some one else to copy.

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Not only Rodarte.... Proenza Schouler, Narciso Rodriguez. Would the latter be a good successor or not?

05-11-2012
Geometric Discharge

I am in genuine shock. I have never known a Balenciaga without a Ghesquiere.
The whole fashion world is changing!
I can't even imagine who would take over from him, though I hope it's someone fabulous.

05-11-2012
trendsetter

1. who on earth is supposed to succeed him?
2. what on earth is he doing next? has he made enough money to start his own line?
3. doesnt he have a minority stake in balenciaga? (10% if my memory serves me right) is he going to keep or sell it?

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
Good for him, I hope this means he will be seeking an opportunity to design under his own name.
but why? he had so much creative freedom it wouldnt make sense

05-11-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Nicolas Ghesquière to leave Balenciaga

November 5, 2012 3:36 pm by Vanessa Friedman

Today PPR announced, in one of the more terse emails I’ve gotten, that it had mutually decided to part ways with uber-designer fashion favourite Nicolas Ghesquière. November 30 will be his last day.

Nicolas Ghesquière with Kristen Stewart at the Met Ball. Image by Getty

Here’s what it said, in full:

“The Balenciaga fashion house and Nicolas Ghesquière have announced their joint decision to end their working relationship as of November 30 2012. Nicolas Ghesquière has been the creative director of Balenciaga since 1997.

François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive of PPR, said: “Cristóbal Balenciaga was a master, a genius whose avant-garde vision dictated fashion’s greatest trends and inspired generations of designers. With an incomparable creative talent, Nicolas has brought to Balenciaga an artistic contribution essential to the unique influence of the house.”"

Well, that’s revealing! Or, not.

It’s also pretty understated, considering what Mr Ghesquière had done for the brand.

He’d been at Balenciaga 15 years (a lifetime in these high-designer-turnover days), and had done as much as anyone to transform it from venerated-but-irrelevant brand into the perennial hottest ticket at Paris Fashion Week (which, when you think about the pressure that generates, is a pretty extraordinary thing). He proved the way a talented designer could abstract heritage to transform a brand’s identity into something truly modern, and struck gold with that biker bag for a brand that had never been known for his accessoires.

Oddly, the house does not seem to have anyone else lined up for the gig. If this was mutual and long in coming, you would have expected them to counterbalance this news, which will send seismic tremors through the fashion industry that adores Mr Ghesquière, with some other news about who’s next. And if not for the fashionistas, then for the analysts who track PPR and presumably know how important Mr G was to the brand’s success — and by association, that of its parent group.

Maybe the PPR execs were trying not to steal Mr Ghesquiere’s thunder (a spokesperson told me “today is about Nicolas”), but really, it doesn’t take away from his leaving to say someone else is coming. And maybe they were trying to limit the speculation and fashion hoo-ha — good luck with that.

So what do we think happened? According to a Balenciaga spokesperson, they had been talking to Mr Ghesquière for a few months about his desire to “do something else”. My guess would be that could mean anything from “do something more” to “get more investment”, but whatever it was, they clearly could not reach an agreement, so agreed to disagree. The chief executive, Isabelle Guichot, is staying in place, so it’s not because of that (often, when a CEO changes, designers change too.)

There’s also the issue of the incredible investment PPR is making in Yves Saint Laurent, and the extreme latitude they are giving their new designer, Hedi Slimane, to stay in Los Angeles, redo all the stores, redo the logo etc. It must have rankled a bit with the long-serving Mr Ghesquière. Balenciaga was only recently allowed to advertise, and for ages held its shows in its headquarters to save money (the shows are back there after a few seasons at the Crillon, by the way).

Meanwhile, PPR has been through this sort of upheavel before — they experienced it with Tom Ford and Domenico de Sole, when they left Gucci Group — so they know super-fashion-darlings can leave a brand and that brand can survive, and even thrive.

So ends the speculation. Here’s what I know for sure:

1) the spring/summer Balenciaga collection, now officially Mr Ghesquière’s last, was fantastic — one of the best shows of the season — and any stores that bought it should be gleeful (as should PPR) because it is now officially a collector’s item and will sell-out asap when it hits rails;

2) the fashion rumour mill, recently bereft of its Raf Simons/Dior vs Hedi Slimane/YSL salacious subject, has a new topic to speculate on — why? and who’s next? — and this will occupy it for a good while (LVMH has long been interested in Mr Ghesquière and has tried to lure him away in the past; bet this comes back up); and

3) whatever Mr Ghesquière does next, and personally I hope it is find a backer to open a line under his own name, it will be exciting to see.
http://blogs.ft.com/material-world/2...ng-balenciaga/

some interesting points

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

I read Cathy Horyn's article and it seems as though sales were fine under him, especially in asia

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Interesting article,

but the following statement is not valid at all:

Quote:
Balenciaga was only recently allowed to advertise

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

noooooooooooooooooo

05-11-2012
army of lovers

What? OMG! Heart attack!

05-11-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saann View Post
I hope he goes solo, I want to see him without brand limitations.. I think it could turn out pretty amazing
I wonder if he really did have any brand limitations for his RTW collections? But I definitely agree that it's going to be exciting if he decides to create a namesake label, that would be something to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Also I am in the skeptical category when it comes to Balenciaga being a big money maker, maybe it holds its own as part of the PPR conglomerate but it seems to be more of an editorial darling than anything, and while Balenciaga is worn on the red carpet and the street, it is by the more adventuresome fashionistas, which may be good for "cool points" but I think that the muckety-mucks want there to be some accessory or scent that appeals to, if not the masses, a significant portion of the luxury buying market, and I am not sure if Balenciaga is adequately fulfilling that brief.
I'm pretty sure the City bag sells well enough. And so do the leather jackets, probably. Also, I think people misjudge the wearability of Balenciaga. I don't own that many designer items, but the majority of them are Balenciaga pieces and I wear them all the time, and my style is far from being extravagant.

I doubt Nicolas was asked to leave (/fired), no one can deny the impact his collections had on fashion and pop culture, even the collections that were disliked by "fans" were still hugely popular and copied over and over by other designers and high street brands, they were widely used on major covers and in editorials and I don't think there is any indication that the house had been unhappy with him in recent years? I really do hope this just means Ghesquière is ready for something new and has other projects planned.

05-11-2012
fashion elite

I'm not really shocked because his rtw collections have been quite sh!tty lately. This still makes me so sad but he had a good run. Hopefully they replace him with a young unknown designer like Balmain did.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alexander, balenciaga, ghesquière, replaced, update, wang, ways