How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

oh no, what did he do?? so disappointing after that gorgeous fall collection....and i was so looking forward to this!

03-10-2006
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore
I kind of like it, almost love it! It's surprising to see such an obvious reference to the armor in Dior FWHC 2006 show...
Yeah, right, the one with the Zodiac. Pretty magical stuff

03-10-2006
one two three

Very Star Wars... I haven't decided whether that's a good thing or not. Overall it looks a little over-done but I predict the detail shots on some of those dresses will be stunning The chain mail gold one especially

03-10-2006
backstage pass

Egyptian Anime
It explores the same idea as his homage to Balenciaga for f/w. Those volumes were molded over and around the body, almost as armor and had the same shock value, I think. This collection explores those same 'hands off' ideas but brings it close to the body. The focus continues on shape, a line, without totally ignoring volume (its deflated and draped around the body). It's always dangerous for designers to get too distracted by the applause, the success of fall set up the house for rebellion. New ideas about what is glamorous and fashionable or whatever have to be advanced and while these designs aren't exactly about reinventing the wheel, they bring fashion closer to whatever the future is. There's real violence here.

Last edited by birdofparadise; 03-10-2006 at 09:34 AM.
03-10-2006
V.I.P.

I think I like it as it is completely different from the last season! And if you deconstruct each look there is some beautiful individual pieces.

03-10-2006
fashion insider

I fall into the camp....I'm tired of frills, of period costumes, of "Eastern" styles, of deconstruction, of Mod, of 80s, of bubbles...this venture into Wong Kar Wai's 2046 (please watch this film for the fashion, and how the past is a thread to the future, if nothing else!) feels just....right. Pity it's only stuff you can wear to a glam party...can't he tone it down for some everyday pieces? But I applaud him for breaking away, and doing it in style.

One thing he got right is you *must* move fashion, to be so good at capturing the immediate future that everything else looks dated in comparison...if he pulls this off, he's going to leave a lot of other big names in the dust, and that's what makes him a fashion god. Even if he fails with the critics and buyers, I still root for him for taking risks and for not being afraid to fall.

Last edited by Zazie; 03-10-2006 at 09:48 AM.
03-10-2006
backstage pass

It seems so repetitive but done with gold and leather

it is not new

trendsetter

i like the idea, and many of the materials/draping/styles in the collection, but it just isn't done right. it isn't sleek enough to be balenciaga. i really dont like it at all so far.

i wonder how this will translate in stores...?

03-10-2006
front row

Frankly, this collection doesn't seem all that bad to me. So perhaps Nicolas Ghesquiere has established his aesthetic to be something of a classic but modern-looking feel and a sudden switch to the futuristic is somewhat disturbing, but I'm handling it quite well. In fact, I love the fact that he's willing to take the aesthetic to such a level and I especially appreciate how he integrated some of the classic silhouettes Cristobal Balenciaga championed into some of the pieces in this futuristic collection.

And the Dior references! It's not just the haute couture collection for FW2006 - just look at those pieces in the first picture of #2! It looks a lot like the distressed leather pieces from the ready-to-wear FW 2006 collection - the rock'n'roll-inspired collection with all the red lights, bandanas and sunglasses ...

Couture isn't meant to be worn. It's supposed to be assembled.
03-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie
I fall into the camp....I'm tired of frills, of period costumes, of "Eastern" styles, of deconstruction, of Mod, of 80s, of bubbles...this venture into Wong Kar Wai's 2046 (please watch this film for the fashion, and how the past is a thread to the future, if nothing else!) feels just....right. Pity it's only stuff you can wear to a glam party...can't he tone it down for some everyday pieces? But I applaud him for breaking away, and doing it in style.

One thing he got right is you *must* move fashion, to be so good at capturing the immediate future that everything else looks dated in comparison...if he pulls this off, he's going to leave a lot of other big names in the dust, and that's what makes him a fashion god. Even if he fails with the critics and buyers, I still root for him for taking risks and for not being afraid to fall.
I thought that 2046 is more about FW2005 collection, no? remember the pic with Maggie Cheung in that Balenciaga dress/pants featured in Vogue last yr? I think that Nicolas definitely revisited that. The use of leather seems to be an extension of the experiment from the Leather line.

03-10-2006
front row

I'm speechless and I'm not so sure if it's the good kind of speechless...

03-10-2006
windowshopping

hmmmmm.....I'm not sure if I like it or not...

But I'm sure of one thing : this stuff is NOT wearable.

Looks like an expensive collection too!

03-10-2006
front row

i it!

this season has been pretty boring for me, and the last few years it seems everyone including ghesquiere himself have been recycling from the 20th century, nice to finally see something new and for this millenium

Last edited by dannyboy0828; 03-10-2006 at 10:15 AM.
03-10-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
I thought that 2046 is more about FW2005 collection, no? remember the pic with Maggie Cheung in that Balenciaga dress/pants featured in Vogue last yr? I think that Nicolas definitely revisited that. The use of leather seems to be an extension of the experiment from the Leather line.
The character in 2046 I have in mind is that played by Faye Wong in her metallic dress (see images, please let me know if they are off-topic and I'll delete them.). I don't think NG was inspired by it, but his collection throws me into a reverie of the film, how the past and future can belong together without contradictions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2046_1.jpg (55.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2046_fayeorb.jpg (60.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg faye3.jpg (52.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg futuro.jpg (47.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2046_fayeearpiece.jpg (38.3 KB, 3 views)

03-10-2006
front row

Love it! Its futuristic and wearable!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07, balenciaga, paris, s or s