How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-10-2006
front row

Well, definitely not boring...Which doesn't mean it's not ugly. Honestly, I prefer to be bored ad nauseam by beautiful pieces. Inventiveness is not always justified - ultimately the goal of rtw is rtw, which this collection is not.
Also reminded me of Dior f'06 couture, for obvious reasons.

Don't mind some of the leather pieces. hate all the metallics, so sick and tired of them this season.

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

Yikes. I'm not really feeling the armor. It seems a little Dior Couture S2007-ish. It's not as great as last season. Oh well, does this mean we're going to see less Balenciaga in the magazines?

03-10-2006
VSFS 2009!

^ Well, it's certainly less wearable than the last season but you're always going to see Balenciaga somewhere in magazines, perhaps just not as much.

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie
The character in 2046 I have in mind is that played by Faye Wong in her metallic dress (see images, please let me know if they are off-topic and I'll delete them.). I don't think NG was inspired by it, but his collection throws me into a reverie of the film, how the past and future can belong together without contradictions.
I don't disagree, Zazie. The future is always a theme designers and artists alike work on. In this case, however, I'd rather look at it separately because 2046 was made yrs ago and it might not be fair to connect nicolas with 2046 (I love the movie though, it is really cool).

03-10-2006
fashion insider

IT doesn't seem like Balenciaga to me somehow. I kind of like the armours and how futuristic it. I have totally no idea how it'll translate to as street wear.

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

Is like he designed for Fritz Lang's Metropolis where the way the people dress finally catches up with its city!

03-10-2006
backstage pass

it's very masculine and hard. lots of metallics.. i can't really say what i think about it yet, but i didn't feel that immediate attraction that i usually feel when i see something i like..

03-10-2006
backstage pass

... but i have to add that it's cool that he's doing something so new, that's what it's all about, evolving. i'm starting to like it...

03-10-2006
windowshopping

its definitely a bit of a collection that forces you to step back and question it. the metallics and plastics are definitely in keeping with whatsa going on at the moment.. and i think a lot of the pieces may actually translate very well into everyday life .. but as is always the case with balenciaga... most of the over the top shapes are usually reserved for editorial and the diluted pieces are then sold to the public.... but i think with the last few seasons... he has shown that he can play the bourgeois card .. and hey ... why not try and push the envelop .. its about time really... considering whats been shown to date in new york et al has been pretty lacklustre

03-10-2006
front row

The more I look at it the more I love it. Last season was about looking to the past and this season he takes those same shapes and looks to the future.

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

I was so looking forward to see this, but I must say, I am a bit disappointed. There are some good ideas, but it somehow doesn't work (for me).
Most designers seem to have forgot that next season is spring, not fall. And two trends are very surtain now, metallics and Gloss/Vinyl.

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

I quite like the concept, i just dont think it's executed as it should be...it seems loosely thrown for me. an idea that seems like a good contestant for the 'rich' look rather than the 'futuristic' look. and if he couldnt get it right, i certainly dont expect the fans to wear it properly...i'm actually scared that this will be the kind of crap i will be seeing EVERYWHERE for the next 12 months.

tfs star

love it

03-10-2006
V.I.P.

I love what I see so far. Though the shoes seem too heavy for my liking.

And when I look at certain outfits posted so far it really feels like ss06 with gold and plastic.

The dresses are fabulous, as the suits. I really really want to see the whole collection.

03-10-2006
God Save McQueen

oh lord

no. no no no no no. i dont like it. of course, i didnt like ss06 and i thought fw06 was boring. so im just not a balenciaga fan i guess. but this is just really ugly

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
07, balenciaga, paris, s or s