Balenciaga S/S 11 Paris - Page 12 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
06-12-2011
V.I.P.

I think the 'inspiration' is obvious...there's no doubt about it.

However, Nicholas created a whole collection out of the inspiration. I think the people who are being so accusatory are dismissing this very important fact - from this inspiration alone sprouted a whole collection of other looks. that is creativity, that is fashion.

Besides, the androgynous theme isn't new - Dolce & Gabbana did a collection on that just recently too. Also, Nicholas has been on this testosterone kick for a few seasons now - the very stiff armored leather jackets was seen last season too, going all the way back to his lovely S/S 2008 collection with all the floral "armor" pieces. It's not like you can say he was doing soft feminine looks and then suddenly we have this punk rocker chick come out of thin air and then someone says "oh look here's a photoshoot from someone else that looks very similar". So suddenly he's less of a designer because of it?

06-12-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

^first, i think the main issue comes around styling not design. if he had paired that oversized blazer over something else, we might not have noticed (everyone, after all, re-visits the classic black blazer after a while). this holds true for all of the pieces. while i don't think it's great that he borowed the styling, it did look fresh and of the moment (given burberry, bottega, balmain, emporio, etc.) since we didn't have a side trend of punk that season.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
11, balenciaga, paris, s or s