Balenciaga S/S 11 Paris - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
30-09-2010
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead View Post
I guess we were warned by the resort collection about this mess? I'm not a big fan of anything other than the last couple of Helmut Lang-esque looks, which were absolutely lovely. (Sans the boots, obviously.) I get that Ghesquière must've been inspired by London punk/80's Japaanese designers, but did he try to alienate his fans? A lot of this seems just aggressively ugly, and I'm not impressed. Kind of excited to read what Cathy, Suzy, Hilary, et al. have to say about this, however. I'd like a little context.

On the upside, the music was good? (Though I've started to blame some of these less-than-stellar collections Ghesquière's been doing lately on the Hôtel de Crillon... seriously his old, bare space worked much better than this bourgeois nightmare.
Oh, you know Suzy et al will find a context to describe this as somehow sexy. Ugly does seem to be the take home message for this season - dare to look horrible!

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 30-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
30-09-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
BY Hilary Alexander

Creative director Nicolas Ghesquière predicted that next season would be a 'boyish one' having been inspired by music-scene stereotypes.

"It's going to be a boyish season" said Balenciaga's Nicolas Ghesquière, after his spring/summer 2011 showing at The Crillon this morning, "so I wanted a twist on a man's wardrobe; the masculine side of a woman is very intriguing."

The collection "borrowed from the music scene", tapping into various "band" stereotypes, such as the rocker, the punk, the goth, the heavy-metal thrasher, interpreted with Ghesquière's masterful and quirky interplay between faux and real fabrics, man-made and natural fibres.
Ghesquière mixed up the models too, plucking unknowns from the street with spiky cropped hair, and sending them out with veterans such as Amber Valletta and Stella Tennant.

And even the marbled floor of the gilded, frescoed salons of the Crillon, had been covered with planks, painted dark, inky black.

The look was layered and futuristic, as we have come to expect at Balenciaga, with nothing turning out to be quite what it seemed: shirts with no back, tunics in what resembled crumpled up sweetie wrappings.

Short coats with rounded collars and a "shirt-tail" hem came in exploded checks, from the Balenciaga archive, in blue/black or red/black shiny patent, or mixed with a speckled tweed. When they morphed into jackets, they were paired with tiny black skirts with silver-studded and curvy, black leather belts slung around the hips.

The models' feet were encased in rubber-soled sandals, awash with fringing which virtually obscured the ankles. Tunics, in lace embroidered in cloud-like patterns, in blue and white, or pink and blue, entered the fray, and the skirts were replaced by orange silk shorts. Multi-zippered vests in pastel-toned snakeskin, and shirts, with "western" gold metal collar "corners", were worn with black, baggy trousers, cut above the ankle, the better to show off the shiny, red "ski boot" shoes, encrusted with hardware. A black and grey tailcoated-cardigan appeared, with a one-shoulder tunic.

The multi-layered, his 'n' hers effect was taken to extremes in stark, black-and-white tunics, over backless white vests, worn with clear-plastic miniskirts, and accessorised with those chunky, clunky, studded belts.
fashion.telegraph.co.uk

front row

I love it! Not the shoes, but those pieces are really fun! I love first few pieces the most.
And those shirts too! But i'm not feeling those shoes at all!

30-09-2010
trendsetter

Looks like it's a step back for Ghesquiere this season.

30-09-2010
Fat Karl

For some reason, I really like this. A lot. It's definitely very Japanese/Comme des Garcons, and maybe that's why I'm drawn to it. I'm excited to see details of this collections.

Also, the music is incredible! I love the moodiness of it.

30-09-2010
trendsetter

HQs Part 1

source: style.it

30-09-2010
fashion insider

Balenciaga S/S 2011 Full show

trendsetter

HQs Part 2

30-09-2010
trendsetter

HQs Part 3

/END

30-09-2010
V.I.P.

A lot of negative reviews; I don't love it, and there are definitely some not-great pieces here, but there are others that serve as redeemers in my eyes. Still loving those little vests with quilting and zippers, and some of the shirts and dresses are good, wearable stuff.

30-09-2010
V.I.P.

music is good!

o. children - dead disco dancer

front row

houndstooth never looks good. Hated it.

30-09-2010
fashion elite

This is very strange for me. I have watched the video and it's off. something about this collection. The shoes are a indicator. Like Helmut has said, Balenciaga is known for amazing shoes and that is one of the things I look forward to when viewing a new collection. I'm surprised, he managed to do a high heeled version on a Birkenstock, but not a Doc marten?
Looking at the collection in motion, there is a certain amount of pwer that is lost because they aren't in heels. You would think with such strong silhouettes and fabrics coming at you, you would want to elevate the message wby throwing on a pair of heels
Looki

30-09-2010
backstage pass

I don't like it, what a poor collection...

30-09-2010
V.I.P.

not at all impress...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
11, balenciaga, paris, s or s