How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-09-2011
Mr. Magic

style.com

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

29-09-2011
Looking Up

The shoes look like Pokemon

29-09-2011
Alluring

Too bad it's so disappointing when the venue looked so promising.

Love the bags though, and the return of the hats is really nice. The bad thing is, the collection doesn't go that well with them.

29-09-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
by Jessica Bumpus

THERE was drama before we even got to the clothes at Balenciaga this morning - at least four benches collapsed and as a result guests were told they had to stand for safety reasons (and Twitter went crazy).
“It created quite the spirit of camaraderie,” said Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman, noting the show – aside from the seating excitement – to be great and “quite unlike everything anyone else has done, which is exciting”.
This season Nicolas Ghesquiere – who has been at the creative helm of Balenciaga since 1997 - worked with beautiful printed shirts, broad shoulders on suede dresses and vests and high-waisted trousers made from different fabrics – so denim at the front and twill at the back. Legs were narrow on the trouser front and with belts woven through the waist, while mini shorts were cut high on the leg and worked to build up the boxier jacket shapes above.
The thing with Balenciaga is that it’s sometimes hard to describe exactly what you’re seeing – the objects themselves are not necessarily obvious but they somehow make sense when you see them.
It was graphic and futuristic at the beginning (with long pockets and panelled jackets of lilac, peach, claret and navy), and then softened later with longer skirts made up from patchwork fabric or dripping with stalactites of metallic fringing. It ended with graphically-cut tabards and wimple hats made from leather to give an ecclesiastical feel – apt given that the audience were all standing as if at a service.
vogue.co.uk

backstage pass

Wow. Not seeing it at all. Of the big names Balenciaga is probably the one I just don't feel. Nice bags but the clothes don't work for me. Nor do I like their shoes this time.

29-09-2011
clever ain't wise

Definitely in the same vein as Prada. Boxy is as boxy does.

29-09-2011
trendsetter

No Seats?

29-09-2011
V.I.P.

^4 benches broke so they asked all the guests to stand up for safety

backstage pass

I love the hats. I want them all.
I love this collection. I love those long skirts.
They are very cool and very editorial.
I like new things.

V.I.P.

those darth vader hats are really creepy . Overall after seeing this show again , I have to say its bad and predictable . Anna Wintour had to stand LOOOL , she must have been pissed lol.

29-09-2011
V.I.P.

I use to die for Balenciaga but this is just not interesting. I do like the colours and the shoes look interesting but the hat/hoods are amusing and the hotpant/shorts look like nappies.

I can't believe everyone stood up. Tom Ford should try this next time.

29-09-2011
backstage pass

Yeah I'm still on the fence with this one. The shapes are a bit alienating and hard for almost anyone to pull off. But at the end sequence with the hats and shapes of the jackets over dresses it almost gives me this haute bourgeois feeling but very futuristic. But its not making me gasp with excitement, its just kind of there ):

Hell on Heels

the hats are amazing. i want the black ones so bad. the rest is ... all over the place. there are pieces i like, but overall it kinda looks like a mess. some of the shoes are the ugliest thing i've ever seen.

29-09-2011
V.I.P.

i'm gonna watch this a bit more, but those long dresses are hideous. there are few more than interesting pieces. hm.

V.I.P.

This is by far the most interesting collection to come out of Spring Summer 2012 but in terms of wearability and reality, I think its verging on disaster.

I find his past two collections to be so unflattering to the female form. Is it just me who thinks so? Ghesquiere was so brilliant about combining Parisian streetwear and French haute-couture. Essentially it was the perfect amalgamation between architecture and wearability. But now, it seems that the legacy of Balenciaga, and the pressure to be the most cutting edge designer / design house, is getting to him.

Interesting collection, but definitely one of his weakest. Also, I felt a great New York vibe here. I saw a lot of looks / ideas that have been explored by Proenza Schouler too.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, balenciaga, paris, s or s