How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

I hope he does something different next season.. I mean I (for one) like this collection (with some exceptions) but I'm starting to get quite bored..

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
PARIS: The covered-over swimming pool at the Ritz hotel was the fashion territory of the lateGianni Versace. So it made a fitting runway for the 1980s redux at Balmain's show on Thursday.

With pagoda shoulders, sparkling fabrics, quilted leather and metal studs, not to mention hunks of crystal, the designer Christophe Decarnin's show looked very familiar - not least because new ideas were as short as the models' brief, buttock-grazing hemlines.

As Diana Ross, the Jackson Five and Sister Sledge ramped up the soundtrack, the theme was "Versace takes a trip" - short skirts thrusting from cut-away long gowns and all the metal mesh and silvered chains that the earlier era once owned. Even the cobalt blue, the single stand-out color among black or white, had an '80s edge.

The Balmain show was as disco as it was frisky and its appeal was simple: sexy chic. Or should that be "sexy chick" because, with their messy hair and bare legs above faintly fetishistic boots, this was not about Parisian glamour but a global hard-partying look.

The clothes are what are vulgarly known as "result" dressing. And the result is certainly wondrous for Balmain, which has gone from being fusty to feisty, making Decarnin the unlikely hero of the Euro-trash set. New insertions were a one-shoulder frill, and harem pants open at the front as a window on the legs. There was even a hint of sportswear in a sparkle-striped boyfriend sweater and the glittering white cardigan and T-shirt that closed the show.

Since every other house copies his approach, Decarnin will have to find a way to move Balmain forward. But for now he remains, at this sobering-up moment, the last designer to leave the party.
suzy menkes / iht.com

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

Now it's just being plain tacky

Plain Ol' Beautiful

For once, when a collection sucks, I would like the important critics to say so and not the incredibly popular 'It sells, so ok, well, I just shut my mouth'.
It does suck. Period. Say so. You got eyes, Suzy Menkes.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
You know what I'm going to speak in general defense of this collection. It's the same crap different day but there is something so completely wonderful about it. The Balmain girl is just...well she's a girl I enjoy. She's one of those cigarette smoke scented, slightly drunken party girls whose skirt is too short and she's not wearing undies. She's this brazen almost unhinged creature high on money, low on class and yet irresistible. These clothes are the clothes you get sloshed in the back of a limo in - I'm never going to do that but I'm glad someone else is so I'm happy this exists. SOMEONE has to do this and now that Roberto Cavalli has gone and gotten recession conscious and faux-classy I'm more than happy that Christophe Decarnin has picked up right where he left off and provided the Kate Mosses of the world with something to have hiked up backstage at a Kills concert.

Kudos Christophe. Kudos.
^^wow! Well said. Exactly my thoughts. I could never express it so clearly though

woolgathering

Suzy Menkes is so snarky

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

those shoulders are beyond ridiculous. you could poke someones eye out with them.

05-03-2009
Fat Karl

So awful SO awful.

At least the soundtrack was fun.

fashion elite

every season balmain gets tackier and tackier. f/w 0809 was so beautiful and chic. how did he come from that to this?

and luxx i agree with your balmain girl theory. however decarin has produced previous collections for that exact girl that were so much more beautiful. s/s 07 and f/w 0809 are standouts. why couldn't he continue with that aethesic?

i must admit that i love that first look on kim noorda though.

05-03-2009
Looking Up

lol i dunno why but this collection is just funny. LIke I keep laughing for some reason. But I feel like Im laughing AT the collection, not WITH it.
Even though it looks kinda corny with all those jewels and pretty studs I still love it. Its just signature Balmain now. I dont think I like the snow boots, thyre tacky.
There is just a lot of danger in the collection, the leather, the hair and makeup, the paleness. I love it.

05-03-2009
Fat Karl

Handless gloves on one arm...I though those was reserved for high school goths.

Looking Up

I HATE those thigh high slit pants, wtf!!!

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

Hahha i love what Menkes wrote, because its so true, who are we kidding here?This is pure trash, just because Kate Moss and Alt et co. are wearing it, it does NOT make it any better, well at least not for those of us who refuse to be brainwashed to think so.And then when you see it on the rack with truly insulting to the point of stupidity pirce tag, all i can do is be disgusted and shake my head in disbelief.

05-03-2009
fashion insider

OH HELL NO!!! This is the most vomit inducing collection I have ever seen in my life. Let's watch all the blog freaks go crazy over this one!!! Maybe Decarnin has the last laugh after all, bringing out and embarrassing every tacky fashion freak out there!!

TWITTER:
05-03-2009
tfs star

THere are some things i like, the pointy shoulder jackets, the slashed Alladin pants (YES... I really do..).. the boots, the hair and makeup and some things I HATE, anything with blue sequins, the quilted leatherette dress on Erin Wasson.. EWW!.. anything with a poofy prom skirt on it and the WORST thing, the one arm bands.. thy are so disco era back up singer, it's not funny!

I would definitely love the boots and jackets though.. and this girl is SOOOOOOOO much more attractive than the Balenciaga girl!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, balmain, f or w, paris