How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-03-2009
front row

43 HQs, source Catwalking, follow the link:

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/d3fe...d1ef9337a4417/

05-03-2009
backstage pass

This has the potential to be good... but, I'm heading to bed, wake me when narrow shoulders are back in fashion

05-03-2009
rising star

Seems like I'm looking at last season's collection all over again...and the shoes are even uglier! Some of the pieces are nice, but they shouldn't be so pricey, it is indeed insulting as someone said a few pages ago, some of the dresses are really ugly and trashy, the leopard boots...it's almost like a joke. Try again, please, Decarnin.

05-03-2009
V.I.P.

Like most people, I am bewildered as to who buys pieces from Balmain; excluding the jackets of course.

People say that this is marketed towards the "Euro-trash set", but then, the way the clothing is presented (unwashed hair and minimal make-up) you'd think otherwise. I'd think that these wealthy "Euro-trash" clients would prefer to buy something from Versace which is a) cheaper and b) more well known.

Besides, their pricing is indicative of how small their clientčle is. When you have cotton-tanks for $2000 and bejeweled jackets for $25,000, I don't think their consumer base is much of an issue. They obviously sell enough of these pieces to make a small profit and sustain the company, right?

And to be honest, I've accepted Balmain for what it is, even if I don't necessarily like it. It's not progressive or interesting, but its 'fun' nonetheless. And fashion needs its 'fun' just as much as any other industry.

05-03-2009
backstage pass

i like it, a lot. i just hate the shoes.

05-03-2009
front row

No matter how hard I try, I can't hate Balmain, I just can't. The last collections have been just gorgeous to me, I'm not gonna throw away this entire collection. The shoulders, the jacket, the slim pants and of course some dresses were absolutely great. But I'm saddened when I say this, some looks were just hideous. And yes, he should push thing further, even if he stays in the same territory (which I love, because bare legs-minidress-sequins is what Balmain is about), look-wise. This thing is startin to feel worn out.

Last edited by JuliaC; 05-03-2009 at 03:51 PM.
05-03-2009
V.I.P.

definitely not for the common people. this is brilliant. i would luv to see gywneth or jennifer connelly wearing all this!!

05-03-2009
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
definitely not for the common people. this is brilliant. i would luv to see gywneth or jennifer connelly wearing all this!!

Are you joking? The common people?!

scenester

Hmm, I don't know, I really don't.

I know most people are disliking this collection, it does seem like an extension, etc. but I adore some of the pieces.

There is however, a level of tackiness that I'm not sure I can get past.

DŌMMkammern

suzy's review is spot on! it is undeniable that decarnin is the king of sexy chicK!
BUT it's time to move on to something new so that the rest cant catch up so easily, no?

at first his collections were a lot more rockstar than disco babe... much more 70's () than 80's-90's (:s) and as everyone is trying to follow the formula that he genuinely revisited so cleverly (not invented as some say...) the "look" is loosing all it's value.

i don't wanna see YET another season of emmanuelle wearing nothing but his jackets... moving from one kind of "shoulder" to the other (call it pagoda or whatever you want)
she still rocks them and all, but hey! a bit of change wont hurt!
speaking of which, this came to mind from last summer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ewt.jpg (44.1 KB, 15 views)

fashion insider

Suzy's review is so great, and more importantly, so true!!

backstage pass

Haha I see that I'm in the minority but I love it.

DŌMMkammern

FOR POST 160 sources are GETTY and YOUTUBE (sorry)

fashion insider

This collection is such a polar opposite. I loved Balmain when it was relatively unknown, before everyone and their mother started to obsess over it, and before every designer started this trash chic look
I think people who love this will just love it because "it's Balmain!"
But it's all repetitive and it's all done, just a rehash of tired ideas, and i was afraid Decarnin would do this.
There are some pieces I love - the pieces that I would love to wear to be the Balmain girl, but then others that are just expected to be in the collection.

V.I.P.

it´s so last season with a really small changes of coulors or cuts... ok, i like some pieces... minidresses are still damn sexy a look fu...ing good and t-shirts with skirts as well, but maybe it would need more originality...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, balmain, f or w, paris