How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2009
trendsetter

^

Still love it, though.

08-03-2009
V.I.P.

I love the collection! ^^ even though it my be a little meet rock & metal barbie

12-03-2009
front row

I agree, it's an extension of last season's collection. But, I still like it. It just takes a very stylish person to pull this off and i'm sure that the girls of Vogue Paris will show everyone how it's done.

V.I.P.

sarah mower for style.com,

Was it just coincidence that Christophe Decarnin showed his Balmain collection in the same room—the swimming pool at the Ritz—that Gianni Versace used for his couture spectaculars? There was certainly an almost Gianni-like gaggle of fans jostling outside, and a heated buzz of anticipation in the house for the man whose frank embrace of rock-chick bling, rounded "tennis ball"-shouldered jackets, and elaborate jeans have shot him to the position of No. 1 most copied designer in the space of two seasons. The choice of venue only added to the sense of expectation heaped on Decarnin's performance as fashion's latest appointed savior of good-time, high-sparkle, downright sexy dressing.

Decarnin certainly proved he's the leader of the disco fever he has single-handedly triggered this season. He had the shortest, tightest body dresses witnessed anywhere: smothered in Swarovski crystal, flouncing up at the shoulder, tightly bound in satin drape or quilted, chain-wrapped black leather. The cult peaked-shoulder Balmain jacket was reiterated in force: same signature shape, now manifested as a leather biker as well as a tuxedo jacket, and often paired with new drapey harem pants or skinny jean-cut black trousers. Every look was thrust into deep-cuffed suede boots with a stack of silver buckles running up the side.

All that probably threw on enough fuel to keep Balmain on fire for the next season, not just with trophy-hunting girls who can afford the red-hot prices but also with the knock-off merchants who will be laughing all the way to bank while making an easy killing with stick-on glitter and the minimum yardage of Lycra and fake leather. In that way, Decarnin deserves acknowledgement for keeping the wheels of fast fashion turning. Exactly how far it's going to go is open to question, though. By halfway through the show, Decarnin's looks—the jacket, pant, and drapey T-shirt; the minuscule dress; and the half-train gown—were already into heavy rotation. If he's really going to win a place as the Versace of tomorrow, he'll have to come up with more than that next season.

there is another video at style.com

13-03-2009
V.I.P.

video
http://www.elle.fr/elle/elle-video/(...(video)/850387

16-03-2009
scenester

when i first saw the pictures i thought: this is the NEW collection???
it would also fit perfectly to the last seasoon so there wasnt anything new. and there werent any 'typically' elemnts for fw09/10-. just these party dresses.

for parties: it is perfect.
but nothing more.
boring!

16-03-2009
front row

I personally love it - and actually like the first dress!!

24-03-2009
backstage pass

Love it,despite that its sooo similar to earlier collections

04-04-2009
V.I.P.

The show in HQ:

celebritycity

04-04-2009
V.I.P.

same

04-04-2009
V.I.P.

same

11-04-2009
V.I.P.

michael jackson wore black/silver t-shirt and belt from this collection. April 10, 2009 in Los Angeles, Ca. mjjpicture.com

11-04-2009
V.I.P.

I personally LOVE Balmain. The shoulders are fantastic!
One of my favurite shows of F/W 0910.
thanks so much for the HQ's Emilee

trendsetter

#15!♥
thanx for pix. i like it.

12-04-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

the return of sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx View Post
You know what I'm going to speak in general defense of this collection. It's the same crap different day but there is something so completely wonderful about it. The Balmain girl is just...well she's a girl I enjoy. She's one of those cigarette smoke scented, slightly drunken party girls whose skirt is too short and she's not wearing undies. She's this brazen almost unhinged creature high on money, low on class and yet irresistible. These clothes are the clothes you get sloshed in the back of a limo in - I'm never going to do that but I'm glad someone else is so I'm happy this exists. SOMEONE has to do this and now that Roberto Cavalli has gone and gotten recession conscious and faux-classy I'm more than happy that Christophe Decarnin has picked up right where he left off and provided the Kate Mosses of the world with something to have hiked up backstage at a Kills concert.

Kudos Christophe. Kudos.
i completely agree with this comment. in this world of economic turmoil, we have two classes of women, those who spend and those who do not. what's frustrating for our chattering classes remains that they do not like the woman who can still afford to spend this way. these girls aren't the ones looking for last season's marc by marc cardigans in the barney's bargain bin.

also, what i think most people respond to about this collection remains the unabashed sexuality these clothes convey. not since tom ford made his splash at gucci have we seen this sort of high-octane sex-sells fashion. even galliano for dior has gone demure. roberto cavalli barely shows cleavage. and for all of the complaining, this stuff is selling and that's something we can't say for clothes that appeal to wives of doctors, lawyers, and footballers set.

and yes, it's expensive, but real fashion has always been about exclusion and exclusivity, but has anyone seen the prices on those itsy bitsy balenciaga bags? how about those fendi gold furs? real fashion these days isn't for the masses anymore.

vogue.fr

style.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, balmain, f or w, paris