How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2009
tfs star

^ The Givenchy and JPG shoulders remind me of the shoulder shape of that Balenciaga flowers/baseball stitch collection back a few seasons past, more than Balmain.

I do know Balmain is influential. Maybe I am just too much of a coward to admit that this influence will remain, and it is actually valid and acceptable. I just don't see it. Many designers have played with the big shoulder volume time and time again, and I am not adverse to it at all. I just do not see the relevance of it other than being gimmick-y.

But it is also a matter of opinion. I can see you are a true fashion connoisseur, mike, perhaps much more than I will ever be. But when I see Kylie for instance, with all the clumsy draping and rousching around the waist, all I see are the tacky prom dresses they see over at the 6th and 7th Avenue stores mid-Manhattan. Maybe there is a value in the cheap-ness and insipid nature of their execution and look. I prefer to see her in Dolce&Gabbanas and Ungaros she used to sport back in the day, but that is just me I guess.

source:
lateboots.blogspot.com

02-06-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Everything is never quite enough.

By the way, this is the name of one of my all time favorite songs, but I guess it may be just a coincidence since not that many people know about the song I am talking about. .

02-06-2009
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post
The Givenchy and JPG shoulders remind me of the shoulder shape of that Balenciaga flowers/baseball stitch collection back a few seasons past, more than Balmain....
you'll never get me to denigrate mr. ghesquiere at balenciaga -- i sued to be on my soap box for him back in the day.

and it's true: he's used "eighties shoulders" as part of his vocabulary since 2000. i do think that decarnin has made a stronger case for those shoulders (specifically). he had shoulder pads in his jacket a year before those balenciaga floral dresses came out....

balmain spring 2007

balenciaga 2000

style.com

ghesquiere -- like decarnin -- both faced FIERCE criticism with their looks and their pricepoints. one of my favorite collections OF ALL TIME remains ghesquiere's collection with the green cargo pants and the liberty prints where he got criticized for everything from not being true to the house to gouging his customers over the price of those pants (which, btw, sold out) and copying a small designer from which he took (direct) inspiration. look at the house of balenciaga now. i'm not saying that decarnin is as talented as ghesquiere, but he's caused a similar splash. it's exciting to see where it'll go.

no tom ford, no thanks.

soooo off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasha View Post

By the way, this is the name of one of my all time favorite songs, but I guess it may be just a coincidence since not that many people know about the song I am talking about. .
FROM THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (with pierce brosnan and renee russo)?! that film's my #3 film of all time (my standards are low, believe me). i gleaned my tag from that soundtrack.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
you'll never get me to denigrate mr. ghesquiere at balenciaga -- i sued to be on my soap box for him back in the day.
lol.

Quote:
i do think that decarnin has made a stronger case for those shoulders (specifically).
Apparently so.

Quote:
ghesquiere -- like decarnin -- both faced FIERCE criticism with their looks and their pricepoints. one of my favorite collections OF ALL TIME remains ghesquiere's collection with the green cargo pants and the liberty prints where he got criticized for everything from not being true to the house to gouging his customers over the price of those pants (which, btw, sold out) and copying a small designer from which he took (direct) inspiration.
I also LOVE that collection. I remember some upheaval about the whole thing, but nothing that major.

off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic: off topic:

I love that movie and that soundtrack so much.

And in a very very sick way. I do not know how many times I have listened to that CD ever since I was 14 or whenever it came out. (wow, for the past decade really...) Wasis Diop is the best, and that is such a sexy and beautiful song in every way. I always thought that song should have been used on some Tom Ford fashion show: would be especially suitable for one of his YSL ones.

After seeing that movie and how Russo looked, I remember starting to see Michael Kors under a much more positive light, to say the least. lol.

Last edited by b9409; 02-06-2009 at 04:54 AM.
02-06-2009
V.I.P.

THIS looks cheap to death

elle.com

V.I.P.

There are a few pieces that are OK, and that I would love to have in my closet, but OF COURSE I can't afford them, we'll have to wait for Zara to take these babies home for 50-70€.

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate_Moore View Post
There are a few pieces that are OK, and that I would love to have in my closet, but OF COURSE I can't afford them, we'll have to wait for Zara to take these babies home for 50-70€.
why wait? these looks -- copied detail for detail -- have been on bebe.com for weeks now....

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Already understood Mike. But if selling was all it took to get an editor to appreciate a label we'd see much worse in our fashion magazines.
balmain's silk tuxedo jacket made the cover of july's harper's bazaar more "fashion-y" subscriber cover featuring doutzen kroes....you can see the cover here:

http://www.fashionweekdaily.com/news...newsid=6634214

Last edited by mikeijames; 10-06-2009 at 08:24 AM.
19-06-2009
V.I.P.

Okay the blue sequined dress on Lara Stone costs 10.773 euros,which a relatively LOW price considering that even the simplest dress from the SS09 collection was retailed at 15.000 euros (Magdalena's pink dress for instance)

DŌMMkammern

somehow i find Magdalena's more reasonable... i wouldnt have called that 'simple' (lara's however...)

no tom ford, no thanks.

balmain's quintessential look also made into july vogue's "visionary" editorial as well....

Mr. Magic

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, balmain, f or w, paris