How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-03-2013
backstage pass

He does have some good concepts. I never liked his style of fashion when he debuted but there's no denying that he's able to work startling and impressive details with ostentatious designs on a body-conscious silhouette. And I definitely appreciate that level of complexity he puts into the details, no matter how excessive-- it's definitely more appreciated than Riccardo's stupid gimmicky graphics that have "fashion-victim" all over it. If you're the type of woman who desires to wear a Faberge egg, then your dreams came true with his designs. It's just that now that Faberge egg is a gaudy and camp tribute to Dynasty, as everyone's pointed out-- but done without any humor; I think he means for it to be seriously dead sexy.

A few looks are salvageable: the gold and black quilted weave-pattern jacket with the gold and black harem pants; the mini in daimond-pattern silver; and the purple draped mini ensemble are really great and outrageously sexy designs-- for a certain type. And in skilled and experienced hands, they would have spawned even an awesome collection with just the right balance of 80s-opulence fused with modern luxe. Just compare this collection to Tom Ford's; same 80s maximalism reference points-- but Tom was able to evolve the over-the-top gaudiness into so much more, and adding some of the most exquisite and decadent, but still coveted modern classic designs to the mix. Tom shows dimension and depth, and humor. Olivier's designs are very one-note and I lacks any humor all the while giving us camp, despite all the excessive and admittedly rich details.

There's always been potential there with his brand of high fashion. Now he just needs to stop with all the retro-camp-- although I wonder if he even knows it's all too camp; no woman wants to wear costumes for a Dynasty remake... Kind of like; we're laughing at you-- not with you.

04-03-2013
front row

i like the colours but I don't like this big arms

05-03-2013
fashion elite

What's the NEED for these hideous proportions? Just use the stunning materials that you have and make it all tight and short and we're good to go.

05-03-2013
rising star

I am a guy and I would wear everything in this collection (except for the skirts and dresses) XD

C'mon... some people do like the 80's yeh?

06-03-2013
backstage pass

I don't know where to start i will listen "can't touch this" again before ..

Coming

06-03-2013
backstage pass

Oh i see sorry i'm not the only one who thought to this song hummm mc hammer with spy

06-03-2013
front row

Just no.

07-03-2013
fashion insider

Nice.

He needs to stop stressing the 'Hammer pants' though...

07-03-2013
front row

I like the concept although I feel he could use perhaps a different color? Different fabric? Different styling? Drop the ear rings and hair or shoes? It is just too much of the actual 'dynasty-era' that it feels like an actual blast from the past, which is a shame because I really enjoyed very much Olivier Rousteing's designs since the beginning, lets look forward to next season.

Last edited by vetements; 07-03-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Typo
07-03-2013
fashion insider

Who's mentoring this poor kid? he's got an amazing eye for detail but he needs to just tone it down, make friends with less drag queens and more friend with real women.

Mr. Magic

Accessories! (stylebistro.com)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
11-03-2013
Mr. Magic

.... (stylebistro.com)

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
Previous Thread | Next Thread »