Best & Worst of F/W 2018 - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
08-03-2018
backstage pass

Yeah, I liked Coach's collection this season.

08-03-2018
V.I.P.

This season was a total snooze-fest, fashion is getting so plain, boring and basic. I hate how every brand is striving to go full commercial mode in order to increase sales and revenues.
So hard to pick 10 or even 5 best collections, most of them were just average slightly shifting over "ok". On the other hand is very easy to list bad and boring collections. What bothers me the most is that most designers are putting literally ZERO effort in making something new that stands out but they just go the cheap way making autopilot collections filled with hot "best selling" items from previous collections or styling wise. Also it's fun to look at Moschino transformation: it was one of the most basic and boring shows of Milan Fashion Week (definitely B-list) but Jeremy managed to turn it into a TOP one: best models casting, real shows filled with excitement and passion for fashion, clear vision every single season. I know most people can't stand Jeremy as a designer (I'm the first one saying his own brand is full of gimmicky and looks cheap as ****) but you can't deny how successfully he was in turning Moschino into a relevant brand without refusing to show 60 looks filled with basic clothes you can find at Zara or easy to sell bags with monograms and logos.

BEST
- Moschino
- Valentino
- Givenchy (nice Clare's redemption from that basic debut collection)
- Roberto Cavalli (another redemption from debut, this is how you do Cavalli without being gimmick)

WORST
- Dior (hell no Maria Grazia)
- Gucci (enough with the thrift shop mania)
- Balmain (too messy and all over the place)
- Versace

BORING - AVERAGE
- CHANEL
- Saint Laurent (rock & roll Slimane style on autopilot)
- Balenciaga (loved those velvet draping dresses but the whole show looked another autopilot collection)
- Fendi
- Dolce & Gabbana (enough with these queen - royalty themed autopilot inspired shows)

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionPower View Post
This season was a total snooze-fest, fashion is getting so plain, boring and basic. I hate how every brand is striving to go full commercial mode in order to increase sales and revenues.
So hard to pick 10 or even 5 best collections, most of them were just average slightly shifting over "ok". On the other hand is very easy to list bad and boring collections. What bothers me the most is that most designers are putting literally ZERO effort in making something new that stands out but they just go the cheap way making autopilot collections filled with hot "best selling" items from previous collections or styling wise.
Totally agree with you! There´s a big shortage of passion and risk for innovation in the industry nowadays.
(by the way I was surprised to see your Metal Gear V avatar! )

Best: Some pieces from Rick Owens; and Comme des Garçons for giving a big "f.u.c.k. off" to this mediocre fashion industry.

Worst: The rest. Boring and basic. And sometimes tacky as hell.

08-03-2018
tfs star

Dior pays the first main pages of magazines, so they have to be tenderly with their main clientes, but there is a fact that many Hollywood stars went to The Oscars in Dior.

I have to download all the video shows to apreciate them and enjoy them with my older women friends who enjoy them and critize them with her women sense without being influenced by media because they dont use internet or see fashion magazines just old ladies with her femenine sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutnotdead View Post
Vogue just selected Christian Dior as one of the Nine highlights of París.

I don't know what to do: send them an email saying the most horrendous things, laugh or cry.

I'm just DISGUSTED by fashion nowadays.

front row

Top Twelve Collections on Vogue Runway.

Chanel, Sacai, Marine Serre, Gucci, BURBERRY , Versace, Paco Rabanne, Loewe, Simone Rocha , Gypsy Sport, Balenciaga and Calvin Klein.

Except Sacai and Marine Serre, all those collections are quite boring and ugly. Beyond my understanding what happened with their criteria.

Quite fun the fact that I've predicted the spot of Simone Rocha here on her thread.

I'm just sick of Sarah Mower at Vogue and Nicole.

Last edited by helmutnotdead; 09-03-2018 at 07:22 AM.
09-03-2018
backstage pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LCRVtQGdiv8

tim blanks' view on the season

10-03-2018
V.I.P.

best (in order)
Chloe
Givenchy
Fendi
Prabal Gurung
Off-White
Paco Rabanne
Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini
Marni
Alexander McQueen
Alberta Ferretti

disappointed/didn’t like
basically all of NY especially tom ford, marc jacobs, all of london really as well…, miu miu, valentino, balenciaga & gucci (these brands time over, its time to move on), loewe, jil sander, jacquemus, lacoste, lemaire, roberto cavalli, salvatore ferragamo

V.I.P.

Best:
Chanel
Louis Vuitton
Sacai

These collections somewhat saved this month for me...
__________________________________________________ ___

Then,

Lemaire
Loewe
Fendi
Yohji
The Row

Worst:
Miu Miu, just atrocious

15-03-2018
http://fashionworldstuff.

Best :

Gucci
Chanel
Balenciaga
Thom Browne
Louis Vuitton

Worst:

Prada
Miu Miu
D&G
Dior
Saint Laurent
Valentino

NYFW was total disaster , LFW simply boring.

Last edited by Fashionstuff; 15-03-2018 at 02:30 AM.
17-03-2018
fashion elite

Only highlights were Esteban Cortazar, Narciso Rodriguez, Sies Marjan, Oscar De La Renta, Area (probably my most favorite of NYFW), J.W. Anderson, Preen, Hillier Bartley, David Koma (favorite of LFW), Gucci (this is a first for me), Santoni edited by Marco Zanini, Versace, Marni (favorite of MFW), Jacquemus (favorite of PFW), Saint Laurent, Lemaire (ties with Jacquemus lol), Chloé, Paco Rabanne, Ann D., Y/Project, Loewe (triple tie, actually), Olivier Theyskens, Lutz Huelle, Altuzarra, Givenchy, and Alexander McQueen...everything else either was ok or absolutely disgusting...

18-03-2018
backstage pass

Best: The Row, Richard Malone, Toogood, Phoebe English, Maison Margiela, Loewe, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garçons, Sacai

Worst: Dior, Alexander Wang

18-03-2018
V.I.P.

I've probably seen like 50% of all the collections and as always I can't really be bothered but I enjoyed

Sies Marjan
Loewe
Paco Rabanne
Chloe
Givenchy
Alexander McQueen

And a bit of Chanel and Valentino.

Can't really pick a "worst" cause I haven't seen it all but it'll probably be Balmain again, yuck

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2018, f or w, worst