Bouchra Jarrar Leaving Lanvin - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2017
front row

good news finally

06-07-2017
V.I.P.

"Quiet fashion" is deadly in this day and age. If you don't generate big buzz, get Instagram love and have a hit iten within you first two collections you get the boot. And with Lanvin's management sounding even worse than others... good luck to whoever comes next.

Hopefully she'll resume her great namesake brand.

06-07-2017
front row

That was fast and expected.. not to mention that Lanvin is not in good shape , the controversy about the casting for their last women show...

She is leaving and to be honest I can't see someone right now that could remplace her

06-07-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodencebt View Post
On the one hand, she was quite boring at Lanvin. On the other hand, I feel terrible for her because she shut down her own brand to dedicate herself to Lanvin and now she is leaving because there wasn't immediate financial gain. It's a terrible state that fashion is in, terrible.
I fully agree. I could care less about Lanvin at this point, but I hope she can get back on her feet after this. I've really missed her namesake collections.

06-07-2017
V.I.P.

06-07-2017
http://fashionworldstuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn98 View Post
I think the Gucci recipe worked because a huge part of it was actually risk. They had no way of knowing it would work with Michele, but they gradually gave him free rein regardless. It's pure luck that the fashion scope was ready for what he's offering, these things are never set in stone. And that's how it should be.
I'm not a Bouchra Jarrar fan, her couture collections were not bad but nothing more.
It could work with Lucas Ossendrijver, i hope they will give him womenswear. Ossendrijver is good and "young " Generation like his menswear.
Yes, what works in Michele's hands will not work in another brands, Philipp Plein's Cruise was so similar to Gucci but it was not good.
Back to Jarrar, i am not sure if it depends of time, 2 collections or maybe 6, it was not good from the first moment. ( same with Dior by Chiuri)

06-07-2017
backstage pass

Who cares?

06-07-2017
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
I'm not surprised at all, her voice was far too muted.
Annoying that designer brands want immediately succes, it's all about sales while it should be about creativity.
Well you could say that about any artform, really. And it doesn't help that we're living in the era of 'fast fashion' and social media which has made people increasingly impatient.

Unless it's being done independently, you're going to expect the suits to put sales first. This is what they get for dumping Alber Elbaz, really.

And yes, I agree with the people who hope she manages to find a way to revive her eponymous brand.

Last edited by Yohji; 06-07-2017 at 03:36 PM.
06-07-2017
trendsetter

I am a bit sad for her, but girl, you didn't deliver it !
I am tired of people being like " let's give her/him time bla bla bla".

No, sorry when you have incredible ateliers full of seamtresses, patternmakers, when you can get amazing fabric developments you can't show to the world such basic/boring collections like Bouchra Jarrar did, it's almost a crime.
Plus the archives of Jeanne Lanvin are truly amazing, I have been there and saw those huge books full of sketches, embroideries, colors...

tfs star

I'll be one of the first to argue the fatal grip profit-chasing has on the industry, but I do not believe it is to be blamed for this; Jarrar had to go. Her collections were forgettable, uninspiring, and painfully monotonous. If they were able to secure new investments after her first 2 collections then send those investors my way because I have some great ocean-front property in Switzerland I think they may like.

Last edited by VogueDisciple93; 06-07-2017 at 05:31 PM.
06-07-2017
fashion insider

No one was buying the collection nor did she generate press for the brand. I fail to see why a company should go on backing a designer after two low rate collection.

I would love to see Riccardo at the helm though I doubt he would put himself yet again under that much pressure.

06-07-2017
V.I.P.

Bahaha. Should have never fired Elbaz, suckers.

06-07-2017
backstage pass

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. I really wanted to give her a chance as I do generally enjoy her aesthetic. Tough times to work at any historic label these days.

06-07-2017
front row

Since it's unlikely for Alber or Stefano to work for a house again, I hope to see Alexandre Vauthier takes over Lanvin.

06-07-2017
#Resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiejbob View Post
Not really unexpected. Just another game of musical chairs in the fashion industry.

The big question is who will replace her and whether they'll be able to increase declining sales and turn around profits.
The big answers are ... Doesn't matter and unlikely.

Funny how their CEO has feuded with both designers.

For the logo reboot a la Hedi, perhaps a cornflower blue coffin?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bouchra, jarrar, lanvin, leaving